Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Wasting (?) a Zod.

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by baqarah, Aug 31, 2010.

1. baqarah

baqarah IncGamers Member

Wasting (?) a Zod.

Hi.

A crazy idea came to my head while I was browsing the SPF. Somewhere in the IFT I've seen someone saying something like "I've got eth upped Ribcracker, if you don't what to do with your Zod, I can have it" as a reply to some other guy finding the Zod rune.

The thing is I have 2 Zods stashed right now. One is waiting for a 1.07 gpa (just started my 1.07 sorc) to make an ebotd and the other is just laying there. I have also 1 eth ribcracker (I think the ed on that thing is sth like 202%). Ive never found non-eth one and never seen it in action. From what the people write on the SPF the weapon is great, though.

My crazy idea is to upgrade the ribcracker. If the roll is good (I think ~270% ed) I will ATMA bug the ribby (never done that, could someone tell hows it done?), and then finally sheal it and make tens of characters which will use it.

Some questions appeared:
    1. Is it a waste of Zod?
    2. Should I keep it for 3soc eth Tomb Reaver (yeah, right, Ill never find one)
    3. Should I make eBotD BA with the second Zod? One hand BotD is so much weaker than Grief and its only a bit better than Oath. On the other hand is the Ribby THAT better than Oath in 2h sword? I don't really know...
    4. Maybe, just maybe, should I ATMA bug some really nice armor and make a crazy *** Forti out of it?

Edit: censorship :(

Don't bypass the word filter, please. Thyiad

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2010
  2. Greebo

Greebo IncGamers Member

Re: Wasting (?) a Zod.

First of all, on ATMA-ebugging: a guide.

The stats on ribcracker will not get rerolled when upping. It will stay 202% ED.

If you do go through with this, trade for eth Ribby in 290's. People will trade you one for the eth one you have (if they keep it for the sake of eth-grail), plus something else obviously.

I'm not going to say whether it's a good idea, since I've never used a Ribby (but I read a lot of good opinions).

--Greebo

3. Fabian

Fabian IncGamers Member

The ED% roll won't change if you upgrade your etheral Ribcracker, so you'd need to find a good one (easier said than done) to consider this imo.

Not a big fan of any of the above ideas to be honest. Will that Ribcracker, or ebotd, or even Tomb Reaver be better than the alternatives available (mostly meaning Grief I guess)?

ATMA bugging some insane etheral rare is what I'd be looking for if I wanted to use a Zod. Of course, a base item insane enough to use a Zod on is going to be pretty tough to find, to say the least. I think frozzen did it to a cool Claw not too long ago, I'd be lucking at something like that maybe.

4. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

1. Probably. Generally any use of a Zod rune is going to be a "waste" to someone. Do with it what you wish.
    2. Once again, if you want. There's no "right" answer, we can only give you ideas. The Tomb Reaver does become a beast of a weapon though.
    3. Coming from someone who has made many characters using an eBotD BA, it's mediocre at best. It lacks DS/CB, although what it lacks there it makes up in nice stat boosts, dual leech and decent speed. Keep in mind the TYPES of characters you want to play. The only big reason to make it in a 1h weapon is for whirlbarbs and paladin zealots. Whirlbarbs could use a two handed version and as a bonus so could a werewolf/werebear character. Also keep in mind that Paladins have a lot better options open to them such as items that provide static field when they smack things, much better than raw physical damage at times.
    4. Why bother? Defense will probably not help you much later on in the game. Armor is supposed to be there for utility purposes nowadays, not defense. At least that's the way I see it.

All in all, we can't tell you the "Right" thing to do, we can only make suggestions, and you can help these suggestions along by telling us what you like to play and what kind of characters you want to make in the future.

EDIT:
    BOTD PHASE BLADE LOLOL

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  5. baqarah

baqarah IncGamers Member

@Greebo
    Thanks for the guide (great work, btw). It answered my other question that appeared recently (the armor defence when going 1.07->1.13).

Oh. I've read somewhere that helms (?) change their ed when upped. I thought it works for every item.

Im gonna make BotD in GPA (eventually ;) ) and with 1.13 it's not THAT hard to make Grief. So there is no reason for me make BotD in the BA then.
    Well, it leads to ebugging. I quess my Zod will cover in dust unused until I find some cool eth uniqe/rare.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  6. Tanksaabas

Tanksaabas IncGamers Member

Armor pieces have a range of defense values , upping one of them will obviously roll a new def value for the item. As the base item is now new. The ed% that is on the item as a mod will not get rerolled. Weapons have set damage values btw.

7. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

Ebotd all the way.

8. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

You're probably at the point in the game where there's really nothing you could do that wouldn't be considered "wasted". You're not going to see huge improvements over your existing gear when your existing gear is near optimal to begin with. One reason you're sitting on two Zods is that there's really nothing to do with them that compares with the rarity of the Zod. Based on rarity, a Zod should be the nastiest thing out there. But it's not... and that's the reality you're dealing with. Zod will do one of three things. It will make BotD, it will make an item indestructible, or it will sit in a stash as a testiment to how much time you've wasted playing a game.

9. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

Plus, "ed" is used for two things: enhanced defense, and enhanced damage. Even if enhanced defense got rerolled (which it doesn't), that wouldn't imply that enhanced damage got rerolled.

10. baqarah

baqarah IncGamers Member

I'm far from being in the point where my gear is near perfect. I've never seen such things like forti, grief, Hoto (I can cube up Vex for hoto, though), cta or Enigma. Its just my luck - I can find 2 Zods, but its impossible for me to find 2 Los (Grief and Forti would be ENORMOUS improvement for my chars).
    Why, oh why, LK runs are so boring ? ;)

11. tavaritz

tavaritz Banned

You might want to check Travincal.

12. Jason Maher

Jason Maher IncGamers Member

I'd suggets a BotD bow. Yeah, you can't get an eth bow, but if you can find a 15% ED superior 6os Crusader or Hydra Bow, as far as bows go, it would be pretty killer. And you'd get to enjoy all the "you wasted a Zod!" comments. ;)

13. Frowzor

Frowzor IncGamers Member

Most of the options seem to have already been covered, but I'm just going to mention that even though Grief is nominally the 'best weapon', its Damage +xyz mod doesn't work at all on vengeance or blade fury, so an eBotD BA does still have two builds it can be optimal for.

14. baqarah

baqarah IncGamers Member

Im no expert, but I do believe its important to have CB and/or ITD on your Blade Fury weapon so BotD is not that great (+stats, leech, damage and -25% def are still awesome, though).
    I always thought, that +damage on grief is only bugged when showing damage on LCS (when using smite for example).
    Damn, I learn things every single time I post on the SPF :D.

Yeah, that would be awesome :). I definately would make some kind of SC sept with it. I can see clearly botd bow wielding wolfdruid :D.

But on the other hand I've got 6soc eth Mat Pike stashed...
    J/K, not going to happen - Fend seriously sucks. Its a skill that only works when you're swarmed on a character that doesnt have virtually any skill that boosts defensive capabilities (not talking about bugged d/a/e).

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  15. Vang

Vang IncGamers Member

Fend sucks is a matter of opinion. I made my Ebotd in a Ghost Spear and rolled a Fendazon with it, as that is what it was made for(though GS does allow it to be used with a whirler)

16. baqarah

baqarah IncGamers Member

Well it does suck compared to zealot and his capabilities of having max block, crazy defence and still maintain good damage with grief. And Im not talking about having fana aura, which boosts the merc's damage, or even fast single target attack (fend vs bosses is very slow).
    My fendazon is using upped Lycander's (my weapon of choice, I always wanted to use Lycander's). Damage is good, but her life is just so low she keeps falling to almost every PI monster. If she cant kill something fast, she dies. I quess I have to spend my ~40 skill points on some lightning skills (which I wanted to avoid).

17. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Member

i've not played a physical, melee oreiented zon much (one of the few zon builds i've left unexplored), so i have to ask, isnt that what jab's for? high speed, multi-hit, single target attack just screams crushing blow boss killer.

18. Vang

Vang IncGamers Member

1 point in Jab is your boss killer. You still need a PI secondary and either Lightning Strike or Charged Strike work(Charged is better and great at being a boss killer to boot!)

Lycander's is personally a horrible weapon, your trying to compare a GRIEF zealot(Using the BEST weapon possible) to one of the worst for a fendazon. Its pure apples to oranges. So I'm not being brash when I say, use an upped weapon such as Headstriker and then compare the two(headstriker is probably to good since it'll give you 100% DS, but at least a closer comparison)

19. baqarah

baqarah IncGamers Member

No, no, no. What I meant to say was she has decent damage even with Lycanders (well, Ive got full inventory filled with +dam charms) to keep her alive, BUT when facing some stronger or unleechable monsters (PIs, undead) she dies in a matter of seconds.
    And comparing eBotD fendazon with Grief pala I think damage doesnt play that big of a role (because even with my crappy gear damage is not an issue), its an ability to survive more than few seconds is important.

Currently my AR when fending is 6k. When I jab its 1.5k-2k (dont remember the exact number). Against bosses its too low for my taste. My plan was to pump Penetrate (its how the AR increasing skill's called right?), but seeing her with all the PI problems I dont think its a good idea. Charged Strike is a great solution for bosses, but, as I said, I wanted to avoid "a hybrid" and tried to make her all an around physical char.

Oh, and please don't feel like I wanted to start a flamewar or something. It's more like I felt that Fend using zon is such a cool idea for a character, but Blizzard (with d/a/e bug and stuff) made it totally underpowered compared to more standard melee characters. Huge dissapointment, really.
    Well, at least I can consider matting my fendazon as a challenge.

20. nebux

nebux IncGamers Member

for good fending try to have your decoy, merc first engage the enemies, then with your longer reach weapon just fend them from behind merc. i saw on my zon that ar is lower compared with other classes. ( dexazon, max penetrate etc)