Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Was this a scam attempt or just a jerk?

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by stevethatsmyname, Apr 9, 2004.

1. stevethatsmyname

stevethatsmyname IncGamers Member

Was this a scam attempt or just a jerk?

Well i havent been playing ladder since the beginning of the season so i guess that puts me into the 'newb' category.

SO i was doing normal baal runs on my new amazon, and decide to ask, just to increase my trade value knowledge, "how much do Ik armors cost, usually?".

Well another amazon tells me "do you need one? what you offer?"

I was like "no i just wanted to know how much they cost"

(s)he said "how bout lidless?"

I said "i guess so" since i was kinda sorta collecting it.

So (s)he said "ok but i want a socketed lidless."

So i say ok just give me 6 minutes, i have to transfer from a mule then socket first.

SO (s)he says "how bout i help you so we can do it faster"

I say "no thanks i will whisper you when i'm done"

So after i finish xfering, IDing, socketing, i whisper him about 10 different times over the span of 10 minutes, no reply.....

(he was logged onto 3 different characters over the 10 minutes so no chance he was AFK). SO what was this? the whole trade thing trying to set me up for a Xfer scam?

2. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

Looks that way, with him ending as being a jerk by making you waste time and a socket quest when it didn't work rather than just admitting he was trying to scam and telling you not to bother.

3. probo24

probo24 IncGamers Member

This doesn't help you now, but next time, after you xfer an item, /w the person before you id or socket the item. At least if you get ignored, you didn't have to id/socket your item for nothing.

4. doubleOObubble

doubleOObubble IncGamers Member

Also, I'd recon IK armor is >>> Lidless. So I don't think he was serious at any time.

5. stevethatsmyname

stevethatsmyname IncGamers Member

yeah i thought that IK >>> lidless too. Knew it was so before 1.1, wasn't so sure now though. But he seemed serious enough. At least now i get a DIamonded lidless for my javazon then sorceress :)

6. hc_ugajeremy

hc_ugajeremy IncGamers Member

Yeah, that's the good part of it. Lidless is worth socketing anyway, at least you were smart enough not to let them in your transfer game.

7. ConnerMacleod

ConnerMacleod IncGamers Member

9 out of 10 bnetters are morons, plain and simple. If you want to get a straight answer, go to the HC trade forum here, more than likely someone will help that knows how to be more than a sub-moron.

8. Stimm

Stimm IncGamers Member

Actually with the prevalance of botters now , elite armors are about worthless. In fact tals amulet > tals armor since you cant program bot for tals amulet. I ve seen ik armor , nats claw and mavs diadem all going for 1 um rune each

9. Paladuck

Paladuck IncGamers Member

This should be on Ripley's Believe It Or Not or something :scratch:

10. Cleglaw_Himself

Cleglaw_Himself IncGamers Member

Damn, and I thought all my Christmases had come at once when I bought my first IK armour for a mere Um rune...

Stupid botters.

11. emuporium

emuporium IncGamers Member

i've seen a rather odd scam attempt on myself, someone was "giving away" their acct, and before he did, he wanted to know my "dnd number", which can be found by typing "/dnd <your email address>", he then said that he found out his dnd # is <some random number> using this.

obviously the /dnd function does nothing like that, but im curious, what good is your email address? (since it would be visible if i used it as my dnd message). if you want to steal my account you'd still need the password to it.

i suppose he can use my address to send a authentic-appearing email to me disguised as a blizzard rep wanting my info, but still, seems kind of a roundabout way, requiring more patience then the average scammer would be willing to spend.

12. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

Perhaps he's looking for email addresses to hack so he can use account recovery?
    Still roundabout, but a bit less so, and yes it would be a lot more work and patience than the average sacammer, so he gets some bonus points.

13. helohi

helohi IncGamers Member

He was prolly hoping for victims with hotmail accounts.. they ain't known for being hack proof... :teeth:

14. wangboBW

wangboBW IncGamers Member

Humm lol I have had a scammer tell me to do /dnd *account name.
    He then realize a while later that he forgot to tell me to put password next to it. God I would say at least 95percent of Bneters are just....r3t4rDz.