Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Was I right not to trust this guy?

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Arkardo, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Arkardo

Arkardo IncGamers Member

Was I right not to trust this guy?

I made a game with the name "O Um N Viper35" to get myself a perfect Skin of the Vipermagi for an Um. Then this guy comes in and offers me an upped Umed Vipermagi with 49 all resist (one below the maximum with an Um), but he wants me to give more than an Um. I said I couldn't offer more. Then he said "just the um then". Then I thought "There's no way this guy can be serious." so I backed out. Was I right to do this?

2. oOmpie

oOmpie IncGamers Member

You'll never know since you don't have the item and won't know if it'll poof...

You made the wise decision given the circumstances, but you'll never know for sure if he was legit or not :)

3. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I doubt that a 34% viper with Um gets duped. It might be different with a truly perfect one, i.e. with 35 res and 13 MDR, with or without an Um rune.

Some people have 100-1000 times as much tradables or even more, so if they need an Um rune quickly, they won't care about such a small loss (in their eyes). After all, they could make a profit of a few HRs with their other items at the same time instead of haggling about an Um rune.

Another possibility would be that he tried the old switcheroo trick, i.e. he cancels the trade for some reason, then distracts you and places some crap armor into the trade window, hoping that you won't check it a second time.

If you are reluctant to perform trades like these on bnet (just like me BTW), you should consider trading in the trade forums here. There's no 100% safety, however.

4. seralph

seralph IncGamers Member

For an upped viper the defence is important. mdr shoud be 13 too. So it's possible the armor itself is not worth an UM and people using upped vipers normaly socks something else. At start of a new ladder people make some items they later won't do. Maybe it was one of this items and he didn't expected more than UM, with a litle luck UM PUL for it.

If an UM rune is a lot for you than it's always better to be carefull and if something seems to be wrong do not trade.

5. lagalot

lagalot IncGamers Member

Id say the guy had just stopped using the vipermagi and could make better use of the um rune you had.Of course the fact that his armour was 34% and upd made it worth more than um hence him asking for more.

Most likely he would have been satisfied with the um for his armour.I really dont think there was anything suspicious about the trade.

However good for you for following your instincts,best to be a little cautious.

6. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

As long as you made sure he put what he said in the window, I don't see how it could have gone wrong.

7. Arkardo

Arkardo IncGamers Member

Well, an Um rune is much for me (with only having played for three months so far) and I haven't experienced any items go poof yet. I did once fall for the switcheroo trick and lost a Ko that way, so I always remember to check the item. I didn't know what, but I just felt there was something wrong... oh well, we'll never know.

Anyway, a little while later I traded my Um for a Vipermagi with 34 all resist and a Pul and I'm happy with that. :)