Was I being too paranoid?

FistOfFury

Diabloii.Net Member
Was I being too paranoid?

Well, it was late last night and I logged on to start a new character, went into a game where the maker called it 'all new druids' and he was afking at the town gates. He came back, and to me, it was like he was really really eager to become friends with me...he wanted to make the same characters as me, add me to his friends list, was asking for my account name, and wanted for us to share our stuff, all in one breath. I told him I was making a new character for the millionth time and he said that he was doing the same thing and that he would be right back with the same character I had picked. So he comes back really fast with some wierd character name. I was then thinking how nice he was. I asked him some questions about necro building and it looked like he knew what he was talking about, but he didn't know about a runeword I asked about, or why I would need it (beast runeword) so I asked if he was new, and he said yes. So that contradiction plus how he was all so eager to be my friend started making me suspicious. How is he new, yet making a character again for the millionth time? So, I left the game because it all didn't seem right. Was I being too paranoid or did my spidey-sense tingle? These days you can't be sure, maybe someone was trying to scam me through social engineering, or maybe I missed out on a good friend. I don't know...Ever since I got scammed by someone I thought I could trust I've been paranoid ever since and I mule by myself. Has anyone here ever experienced something similar and it turned out that the person was trying to scam you?

ppz

Diabloii.Net Member
If you weren't comfortable with it, leave. If you have this guy on your friends list, and he has you, he will be able to stalk you in whatever game you are in. Remove from your friends list.

Kijya

Diabloii.Net Member
I prefere not making random friends on bnet, better keep to the forums here if you ask me. That guy sounds too eager, probably a scaming attempt, sharing accounts with someone you only know from bnet is in any case a bad idea.

MaxMax

Diabloii.Net Member
I wouldn't say your too paranoid... you have to be on b.net!

@Kijya got a good point, try avoiding making random friends on b.net. I don't have very good exprience with that. 2 different "friends" I had played with many times and made friends with randomly, "suddenly" disappeared after i've lended them some gear. One got a IK armor, and the other a pair of gores and a Oath (eth scourge.) Wasn't much, but its still very annoying.

So my suggestion is never lend/share gear out, unless it someone you know in real life or a guy your 100% positive you can trust/thrust:grin:.

MapleBarb

Diabloii.Net Member
he may be completely legit. But, in my opinion, I read it the same way you did. He's either new or he's started a lot of different chars. as for a particular runeword? thats not really that much of a suspicion (cant spell this word right to save my life sorry :sad2: ). Only because, a lot of times if you stick to a particular class of chars you tend not to notice a lot of what other chars use. and lets face it: to a lot of people on bnet? if its not enigma, fort, hoto, and stuff like this? the runeword doesnt exist lol. The fact that he was so willing to start the same type of char and then be added to your list is what makes it weird. Almost like he expected you to do the same to him so he then would know when you need help with an xfer or something so he could go there and clear the place up.

kikomun

Diabloii.Net Member
i dont think you're being paranoid...cause if its me i wont even bother to ask myself if i'm when i'm making random friends on bnet :rolleyes:

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
There's not much he could do to you except annoy and/or creep you out, but yeah - better safe than sorry. People who are overeager to be friends are creepy.

Zarniwoop

Diabloii.Net Member
8-9/10 people that are nice to you in bnet will screw you.

I trust about 15 people and they are all from this forum.

Anytime your spidey sense tingles, do exactly what you did.

cynicalcat1

Diabloii.Net Member
i also will say what everyone else has, do not trust bnet kiddies.the only people i trust are here on the forums, i have done a lot of drop trades and never been scammed

RequiemDeath

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah, think creepy old bloke from family guy..
I'm just a sittin' here all alone... Thinkin' bout that musclely armed paper-boy! Wonderin' if he's gonna come by and bring me some good news... Call me! lol

Yeah, you did the right thing... I'm as nice as I can be with most people, but I never add them to my list... Only a couple of people from these forums, and some real life friends...

*Requiem_Death

FistOfFury

Diabloii.Net Member
he may be completely legit. But, in my opinion, I read it the same way you did. He's either new or he's started a lot of different chars. as for a particular runeword? thats not really that much of a suspicion (cant spell this word right to save my life sorry :sad2: ). Only because, a lot of times if you stick to a particular class of chars you tend not to notice a lot of what other chars use. and lets face it: to a lot of people on bnet? if its not enigma, fort, hoto, and stuff like this? the runeword doesnt exist lol. The fact that he was so willing to start the same type of char and then be added to your list is what makes it weird. Almost like he expected you to do the same to him so he then would know when you need help with an xfer or something so he could go there and clear the place up.
It's not that he didn't know about the runeword, it's that he seemed to know about necro skele building, yet didn't understand why fanatacism aura from beast runeword would be good for skeles when I told him...I dunno... But that didn't make me suspicious, it's just one of the factor that makes me think that maybe I was wrong about him. I didn't add him to my list and I know he didn't add me, because I gave him the wrong account name and waited for him to leave first so that my account name wouldn't show up on the exit message, lol....

MapleBarb

Diabloii.Net Member
It's not that he didn't know about the runeword, it's that he seemed to know about necro skele building, yet didn't understand why fanatacism aura from beast runeword would be good for skeles when I told him...I dunno... But that didn't make me suspicious, it's just one of the factor that makes me think that maybe I was wrong about him. I didn't add him to my list and I know he didn't add me, because I gave him the wrong account name and waited for him to leave first so that my account name wouldn't show up on the exit message, lol....
lol I've done that. Funny when you wait for them to leave first it always seems they're doing the same to you.

Merick

Diabloii.Net Member
If you don't give your password, or drop items in front of him, there's nothing bad that could happen *shrug*