Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Was everybody this dumb in highschool...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by tarnok, Feb 12, 2004.

1. tarnok

tarnok IncGamers Member

Was everybody this dumb in highschool...

...and I just forgot about it?

I gave my third period class a quiz today. We'd been talking about the material on the quiz for the last two days. The two formulae they needed for the quiz were both written on the board. Three people turned in quizzes wherein entire sections were skipped. Others provided accurate information that was not requested (not in addition to the answer mind you, but _instead_ of the answer). Still others managed to bungle calculations despite staring at the formulae.

I think there was a fairly normal distribution of grades so I'm not saying the class is doomed, but some of the mistakes they were making were so stupid I sometimes stopped grading papers and just stared.

2. th5418

th5418 Banned

Well, i study......so no im not that dumb. :D

3. My_Immortal6

My_Immortal6 IncGamers Member

Unfortunately I was one of the dumb ones in highschool. Sucks to be me.

4. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

That's nothing.

In my 10th grade HONORS English class, we "read" Old Man and the Sea. I put the word "read" in quotes because we did NOT read it. Instead, our teacher felt we were not advanced enough to know how to read, so we had to LISTEN to the damn book on a record player. Took five DAYS because the guy doing the reading talked so slooooowww.w....

Then in college it wasn't much better. I took an ADVANCED course in computer applications and programming. The first two weeks consisted of taking the mouse apart to see how the little ball makes the cursor move. Then we learned about the START BUTTON!

I swear, school is a bigger bane on society than we think. Talk about stupefying the populace.

5. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

The populace was stupid to begin with. I remember how utterly pissed off I used to get in Highschool, because there was not a single damn person who was smart, or even intelligent for that matter. Sure there were people who studied daily and got A's, but they were just as stupid as everyone else. I was like, "Ok, what in the hell?" And then the grading system, my god. They should give children bad grades for being stupid. I mean, for christ's sake what good is a 4.0 GPA when you're taking frucking Math 1, ESL, and History 1?? Compared to the idiot who's taking advanced classes and getting a 3.0? What in the hell is all that about? You should tell the class, in a non-offensive manner, just how big and ridiculous of a mistake they made. Be like, "You see this on the board behind me here? Know what that is?" And if there is no answer, redo the chapter. Twice.

Morale of the story: Stupid people piss me off.

6. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

Jeez, you have NO idea how much I not only agree with you, but how well I can relate to what you said.

7. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

What class is this? And are you teaching in the USA? I wouldn't think it would be THAT bad as you described ... but then again, I went to highschool in Hong Kong so a lot of people around me were pretty nerdy. Not so much Star Trek nerdy but proving Keplar's Laws for fun nerdy.

The last time I was in a US public school was in 8th grade when I used to live in Seattle. At the time, not everyone seemed so dumb. There were definately a few stand outs but most people fall into the stereotypical image they receive overseas. One thing I did notice though, it did seem awefully easy to get all As. Though junior high is different from high school, my friends have told me that there was no difference.

8. tarnok

tarnok IncGamers Member

Algebra I part 2 in the good ol' US of A.

9. Dracoy

Dracoy IncGamers Member

Lol

Acl Alg 2

Top 1 in class...

All i had to do was say high to the teacher come in at the end of class say high again take a test and do what ever i want...

Alg was SOOOOOOO ez...

Now geometry was hard ^_^ i hate memorizing theorems etc

Alg is just straightforward FUIN FUN FUN!

10. Wuhan_Clan

One more thing I just thought of. IMO, these basic highschool classes are usually taught so everyone can get an A. Anything less then an A (or even a B) shouldn't be count as passing. Generally, in any education system, a 90% or above is an A moves down in increments of 10% per letter grade. For crucial skills involving something like basic algebra, if a student doesn't know at least 80% of the course, they are guarenteed to not do any better in more advanced classes. Unless, they make up the knowledge in their own time. Seriously, if a student doesn't understand almost all of a subject being taught, they just won't have the foundations to move on. What's the point of passing a student with a C if they're only going to get C's or lower in the future?

Now that I'm taking college level classes, I find that material is covered so quickly in class that nothing less then an A is required. I barely begin to understand something before the next topic is started. The classes are designed so that each class is a direct foundation for the next. If someone only passed with less then an A in the less advanced classes, the more advanced class is going to be even more difficult then it needs to be. At my school, people rarely graduate with a 4.0 and most won't be close. This means that most people who graduate are only "adequately" prepared to work in whatever field they majored in.

Doesn't it scare you that the person who is helping to design, say a plane, in the future is going to be me. And I'm only going to be adequately prepared. Then again, I'll probably just be unemployed.

11. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

Geometry = teh easy.

Pre Calc = teh stupid.

Pre Calc is so stupid.......rules that work for 95% of things, then not 5%, and your expected to just "know" when the 5% is, even though there is no difference...

If you teach al 1 in a HS, then you most likely already have the lower end kids, as most highschools curriculum sets them up for geometry in their 10th grade year, meaning those kids either failed math one year, or didnt qualifiy high enough way back.

If you were teaching AP calc and that happened as well as al 1, then you could draw some accurate conclusions based on the general populations by taking both sides of a skewed data and averaging them.

12. Mecal

Mecal IncGamers Member

o_O

huh?

almost all the 9th graders go to Alg 1 in my highschool, and in my friends' school... unless they pasted the Alg 1 test or w/e they took at the begining of the year. it doesnt mean you failed, it just means you didnt do it previously, like me, i took pre Alg in 8th, and Al1 in 9th.

anyways, i do agree that Geometry = teh EZ

13. Jigga-Scrooge

Jigga-Scrooge IncGamers Member

i think school shouldnt be mandatory after the abc's and addition, multiplication, division, and subtraction.

14. Dracoy

Dracoy IncGamers Member

HIgh school

Normal Average Kids
    Freshmen-Acl Geo
    Sophmore-Acl Alg 2
    Junior- Trig/Ap Calc A
    Senior- Ap Calc B/C
    O_O

15. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

I totally agree about getting an A or a B for a class. For my major I have to take about 8 math classes. I would be angry at myself if I only gotten a C in one since each one calls upon the precessing one.

16. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

I am considered to be in the, how my school has named it, "hard track"

(Middle School /w H.S. credit) 8th grade - Algebra 1
    (H.S)9th grade - Geo.
    10th grade - Alg. 2
    11th grade(now) - AP Stats & Probability, Trig/Pre-cal
    12th grade - AP Cal.

Know why? Because South Carolina is what...49th out of a possible 51 (counting the District of Columbia.)

And my class is considered to be the most over achieving class in our school's history, everyone of my classes has another duplicate with about the same number of people and believe me when I tell you only about 20 of us should actually be allowed to take these classes...yes that many people are failing, no South Carolina won't make you stay back a year, no you South Carolina won't let you move from the Honors courses to the Advanced or the CP.

Basically, what I end up with as a Senior most will have as a Junior and some Sophmore, because my state is a load of idiots that do not know how to wipe their own butts.

17. CookiesnCream

CookiesnCream IncGamers Member

Well in my school, there are many of people taking rigorous classes and there are also many people who get above the 4.0 GPA, like me :D . Anyways, AP classes are difficult, maybe it depends on the school, but my honors lit. 10th grade class was definitly no walk in the park.

On the other hand, it just surprises me of the amount of idiots there are as well. "Stupid nerd, hahahhahaha". Aren't nerds supposed to be smart? So how can you call someone a "stupid nerd"? I would have pointed this out to some people if they couldn't beat the **** out of me lol.

18. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

I went to a "top notch" school for one year, and let me tell you, it was full of morons. I mean, I didn't not like them, but they just pissed me off because they weren't smart. Hard to explain, I was seen as one of the nicest people in both of my Highschools, but the people who really got to know me knew I was a total jerk. Oh, and nerds are the people making six figures when they grow up. Remind them of that.

19. Wuhan_Clan

I been studying in the States for almost a year now and I still don't get the GPA system. How exactly can you get a GPA above 4? I understand that different classes are worth different ammounts of credit but that still can't bring an average above 4 if no imput grade can be higher then 4. Does taking classes beyond the required number of credits count toward raising your GPA above 4?

20. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

Most high schools are 10-12 in the country, so I was refering to the norms, rather than the few that still use middle schools.

Ap classes are given a rating of like 5, so if you got all A's in all your classes, plus A's in several AP classes, you could easily get above it.