Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Warning: Nudity inside!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by EasyG, Apr 22, 2015.

1. EasyG

EasyG IncGamers Member

Yup, I knew that title would catch your interest :rolleyes:
    STREAM: Offline

Welcome to EasyG's HC naked sept update topic

In the years I played diablo2 a lot, I had absolute the most fun during the time in Morathi's tournament: We love to be naked.

Playing d2 with such hard restrictions forces you to study the game mechanics and come with inventfull solutions for hard situations. Since then, whenever I think about d2, I think about an attempt to make a naked sept and how each class would do this. It is now to give this dream a serious attempt.

Im going to use this thread to update my progres for whoever is interested to read it and I will also use this thread to ask questions, because I am sure I will need help of your knowledge during my adventures.
    This opening post will also be updated with the current status of the challenges of each class.

This are the following rules I will use for each attempt to make guardian:

-No equipment used, merc is allowed to use any equipment.
    -No charms, no broken weapons or belts.
    -HC, no ESC to avoid death, single player only.
    -Each attempt will be fully untwinked.
    -no respec
    -single pas, no rerunning
    -player setting can be adapted all the time, but no abuse.
    -Single pass, does not have to be full clear.
    -Extended ATMA stash allowed.
    -allowed to reroll ancients.

I already finished an assassin guardian under these restrictions, allthough I sadly lost her files during a pc crash. Other SPF members have also shown great achievements with similar or even harder restrictions for Amazon, Necromancer and Druid class. I dont really know of any succesfull naked guardians of Paladin, Barbarian, Sorceress.
    But I might have missed those. I will likely focus mostly at these last 3 mentioned classes at the beginning, since they seem extra challenging.

Here is the overview of my naked characters, I will also leave slain chars in it:

Name: Class: Started: Last update: Level: Status:
    - Amazon - - - -
    Nuts* Assassin 16-4-2007 1-6-2007 84 Guardian
    - Barbarian - - - -
    - Druid - - - -
    - Necromancer - - - -
    Napa* Paladin 21-9-2014 23-4-2015 31 Retired Act3N
    Noise Sorceress 23-4-2015 24-4-2015 20 Act2N
    * Nuts and Napa did make use of charms.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
    Pb_pal likes this.
  2. EasyG

EasyG IncGamers Member

The Introduction and theorycraft of Napa, the naked Paladin.

Ive been theorycrafting for myself about each class a lot and keep concluding that paladin should be the hardest class. The reason for this is that Paladin misses both the 2 keys to succes:
    -Summons (like shadow master)
    -Ranged crowd control (like mindblast)

This means that our merc will have a very hard time, since he will simply have to soak up all the damage. So I think we need to support our merc defensively to the max. First of all this means that we will heal him with holy bolt during hard situations. Holy bolt requires 20 synergy points in prayer.
    Secondly im afraid that my merc might get in stunlock often, not being able to deal any damage if I take a might merc, so I was thinking a defense aura merc.

So what does this give our merc: defense aura+heals. I can either use the prayer aura or support with some other aura.

Now we still have 40 skillpoints leftover for offense. I considered an offensive aura or maybe thorns aura, but from my experience with Nuts, you cant always rely at your merc for dealing damage and having prayer aura active most of the time will be nice to keep myself healthy awell.
    So opted for one of the two ranged attacks Paladin has: Blessed hammer and fist of the heaven. Foth seemed better for this kind of build. So that will be 1 point in meditation aura 20 in foth and 20 in holy shock (synergy) and with also 1 point in vigor aura for ancients, and 1 in salvation, this build will be finished at lvl 81, if I calculated right.

Problems im afraid of:
    -lack of damage, especially vs non undead physical/lightning immune
    -stunlock>death by elemental damage, since salvation will be usually off.

Merc items ill be especially looking for: crushing blow/poison/bleeding wounds. Lifeleech will be of low priority with the holy bolts and prayer aura.

When you read this, you may think, why not prayer merc with insight? Well, I put 20 points in prayer anyway, and then I would need another 20 points in defiance for example. Allthough, now I think of it, I could use low lvl salvation aura. Also maybe holy bolt doesnt need max synergy to be effective. Enough ideas for if I die to try a different way.

Question: Do you agree with act2 defiance Aura? Or would you think might, holy freeze or maybe act5merc would be more succesfull?

I just checked out how Napa is doing and I see he is at start act3, almost lvl 29. 1 point in holy shock, 17 points in prayer 1 in meditation and 1 in each prereq for foth. If I remember right then I mostly used the lvl 1 holy shock in act2, just switching to meditation when healing was needed.
    There is also just 1 point in holy bolt yet. Soon I will have to decide if I start pumping foth or holy bolt.

I also have a very nice resistance charm collection, resistances are: 10, 50, 14, 33, In my stash are besides a collection of gems and runes also 2 grand charms with 12 fhr and 1 rare jewel with +9 max damage/-15% requirements/goldfind/mana. Its always a good idea to save up good -15% requirement jewels in single pass challenges.
    Horadric cube is also in my stash, so I can use as many as possible charms. My inventory has 8 open slots, mostly filled with healingpotions (no belt).

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    Pb_pal likes this.
  3. Pb_pal

Pb_pal IncGamers Member

Very cool! I'll be following this closely. One of my D2-bucket-list challenges is a HC naked single pass character, so if you can pile up 7 of them, it might motivate me to take a shot. :p

As for your merc question, HF I think will provide more defensive stability than Defiance will. The value of having (almost) everything chilled is huge. That said, Defiance mercenaries that I've used have always felt way sturdier than HF ones.

I like A5 mercs, but I don't think they measure up to a HF merc in terms of pure defensive abilities. Yes, their stun is nice, but it isn't really enough on its own (IMO).

So basically, I say HF merc. But I am by no means an expert, so hopefully someone with a bit more insight comes along. :p

4. srrw

srrw IncGamers Member

I loved both of InsaneWayne's naked characters and the cracked zon by superdave. This should be very, very interesting!

Generally on HF vs Defiance, there is a huge dependency on how much base armor you can get for the Merc. Even then he'll really struggle to survive in early Hell caves because of the big level difference. For the first part of Hell imho Holy Freeze should do better.

Also, does conversion require an equipped weapon? If not, it's a must. It's way too good to pass up. The other thing that really sucks is not being able to use Smite, it's great for stun locking.

I'm also not completely sold on the lack of maxed Fanaticism, it will massively speed up your journey and skyrocketing your merc's damage > more life leached > more survivability. I'm curious why you're skipping it.

5. EasyG

EasyG IncGamers Member

Thanks for the responses. Im definitively more leaning towards hf merc now, will also give an extra benefit offensively. But for that I need to reach nightmare first :).

Conversion is a good call. I got 1 point in it offcourse because of the prereq, and if I find myself comfortable in melee range during the harder difficultys, I might add some more points.

Im not going to use fanatism. Mercs damage will never skyrocket untwinked at player8. Its not only untwinked but also with nearly 0% mf all time, its very hard to find strong merc equipment that way. With nuts I ended up with 2 mediocre runewords (weapon not even ethereal) and 1 bloodcrafted helmet (see her guardian thread).
    I absolutely prefer a prayer aura so my life stays at 100% all the time without chucking potions (remember i got no belt).

6. Twibz

Twibz IncGamers Member

So what is the plan for actually getting to act2? Just sit behind and support the rogue?

7. EasyG

EasyG IncGamers Member

If I remember well, then I mostly punched my way through with act 1 holy fire aura, switching to prayer when needed. I also had damage from charms I guess. With all points in vitality you are tanky anyway, naked or not.
    Most important is to hire the rogue before actually doing the quest for merc. Requires lvl 8 or something.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  8. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I don't think you can hire the rogue without solving the quest (although I haven't tried this so far), so good luck versus Blood Raven :D. The L8 thing applies to the minimum level to solve the Charsi quest.

I see no point in playing an amazon with no gear at all. It should be allowed to use and replenish javelins like those from her starting gear or a regular, unsocketed short bow and arrows (or the slowest crossbow available), so she has something which can transport her skills. Otherwise she could do nothing but hide behind the merc, run away, produce valks and decoys and cast slow missiles or inner sight. A fully synergized valk is probably VERY hard to kill, but she will still be worse than a naked summon necro without summons. The biggest challenge probably is to endure the frustration or boredom.

A barb might try to fight and kill with warcries and he has BO and natural resists, but it's probably a pretty pathetic thing as well. The other classes could possibly make it, but it will probably be beyond my playing skills :).

Is it allowed to reroll areas until you find a monster mix which you can deal with? I doubt that naked characters have much of a chance versus gloams from hell mode, for example, but rerolling a monster mix means pressing ESC to avoid death in a way, a rules violation. Rerolling the Ancients would be OK, however, as it's a part of the game and intended as such. If it wasn't, resummoning them would produce the same ones again and again.

9. Cyrax

Cyrax IncGamers Member

*takes clothes of before entering thread*

Wazzup guys?

*looks down*
    *nevermind i can already tell what's up*
    :D

After reading thread title i'm seriously disappointed with this thread. ;)

Maybe i missed it, but do you allow yourself to use a cracked belt for more potions?

Also personally i feel that with charms (and potentially a cracked belt) a char can not be called truely naked. With some luck you can make up quite a bit of resists with charms. Which is also why i disagree with krischan on the amazon using weapons.
    Would still be great feats, don't get me wrong, but not truely naked imo.

Also reminds me i have a naked necro hanging around somewhere. Won't be progressing him anytime soon though since i want to get my necro (a clothed one) to 99 first and he's still got quite a way to go.

GL however you plan to do it G.

EasyG likes this.
  10. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

A zon cannot do much without certain things transporting two thirds of her skills. No charm will help at that. What else than casting valk, decoy, inner sight and slow missiles or offering herself as another decoy or meat shield can she do in order to have any significant effect? I'm not saying it's impossible, but unsatisfying.

A short bow or normal javelin will probably not have a significant effect from normal act 2 on, insisting on that appears like pedantery to me... but I agree that it is a bit of the point of doing this :)

Besides, you overestimate the amount of charms which you will find while doing the quests, assuming we aren't talking about doing a few hundreds of MF runs somewhere.

11. EasyG

EasyG IncGamers Member

No belt allowed.
    Thanks. I also have had some double feelings about the usage of charms. It does make a huge difference, I know nuts would have died few times without the resistances from charms added up to fade.
    But since I know that you are right, I decided to retire Napa and start over wit this new rule set:
    -no charm allowed
    -extended atm stash allowed.

The reason I decided to allow extended stash is that as far as I see in the current tournies, this is the norm now. And limiting to the igname stash is only frustrating, being without chippies to upgrade when you need them, selling awesome base armors/weapons, finally finding that Um rune after selling it etc.

Little update of Napa and a stat screenshot at lvl 28 (incl charms):
    [​IMG]

Napa fought together with Ahsab through the jungles. Mostly using lvl 1 zeal+ lvl 1 holy lightning. After reachign 30 I switchted to FotH/meditation.
    Besides the obvious mana cost, this skill has 1 huge problem:
    - You just need to click near a monster instead of at top of him to nuke it. This means that if I run into monsters with FotH at left click and meditation aura at right click. And then want to run backwards by leftclicking behind me. Then I will go into shooting animation instead of running backwards.
    This means that FotH can never be at left click, while exploring, because this is potentially lethal, disabling me from running away.

One more note about conversion skill. At my screenie you see I have decent attackrating, but this is because im much higher lvl as the monsters and I have +5 dex charms. Also zeal lvl 1 adds 10% attackrating.

Conversion only works when you succesfull attack, and will not work at all with base dexterity and no equipment.

Retired at lvl 31, because of change of ruleset. Flayer jungle.

12. EasyG

EasyG IncGamers Member

Introduction and theorycraft of Noise:

I will do another attempt with Paladin later. Now it is time to start a fresh new character and explore the possibilities of:
    Sorceress

Sorceress has, similar to Paladin (and barbarian) no summon that is able to tank. But sorc does have a wide arsenal of ranged attacks. And the best merc control (teleportation).
    We also do have ranged knockback: telekinesis.
    Sorc does not have resistance raising skill, but we do have energy shield, which basically has 0% resistance, which is a lot better as -80%. Also Sorc has lowest Vit>HP ratio, so going with energy shield kinda seems a must. Originally I planned to focus my charm collection mostly at HP, since resistance is not so usefull with ES and getting my HP from charms would allow for more Energy. But without charms, I guess ill need to split my stat points between energy and vitality and just deal with lower hp/mp. I dont know exactly yet what would be the ideal ratio.

40 skillpointss in energy shield and Telekines leaves with around 40-50 points leftover for offense. I see endless possibilities here.

Firespells: Since I like to have points in warmth, firewall and enchant look interesting
    Coldspells: Frozen orb doesnt need much points to be effective and slows down monsters.
    Lightspells: They will not cost me many prereq points since I already go for ES. Thunderstorm cost very little mana, and with its autocast, I only need to take care of my own safety, while thunderstorm does his job.

For now I decided Ill go with frozen orb+warmth+ cold mastery. Im not sure yet how many points ill put in warmth, it also depends on if I manage to make an insight stick. The merc will be a prayer guard for sure.

13. SunsetVista

SunsetVista IncGamers Member

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  14. EasyG

EasyG IncGamers Member

@SunsetVista Thanks for the link, will check it out :)

Im currently playing the sorc and testing if Im able to stream. I think the quality is very poor, but if you can see something, then let me know.
    http://www.twitch.tv/paljar
    Im also playing d2 in windowed mode for first time to be able to stream, and it looks very poor :D

15. srrw

srrw IncGamers Member

Quality is poor but watchable. Problem is the stream is quite laggy.

EasyG likes this.
  16. EasyG

EasyG IncGamers Member

Thanks for checking. Ye my wifi is horrible. and it is now at its best since it is almost 2 am at night. But happy to hear that it works :) gn

17. EasyG

EasyG IncGamers Member

Noise the naked sorc was born :)
    I know my stream is very poor, but whenever im playing her, Ill edit my opening post with that the stream is live and you can then watch or join chat. Im playing windowed and try to keep an eye at twitch chat.
    [​IMG]
    The first 8 lvls were extremely slow, punching monsters at players8 with her soft hands and every now and then casting an ice bolt or ice blast. The first few points went into vitality to make sure i wouldnt die and after that I started pumping some points in energy.
    With the rogue at lvl 8, killspeed started to increase and around lvl 12 with 1 point in warmth, 1 point in lightning and a decent amount of statpoints into energy, I started to make myself familiar with drinking mana potions directly from my inventory and nuking stuff down. also static is a good skill vs larger monsters, allthough its kinda scary to take hits with such little HP available. I might use static more often when I have a melee merc to tank for me.

During act1 i had maybe 5 times my hp dropping below 33% and 1 time below 10%, but managed to stay alive and hope thing will get more easy with a prayer guard. It will be equiped with a rare bardiche, a triple topaz breastplate and a double topaz skull cap. The only reason im putting mf at him is for rare jewels and maybe rare polearms/spears. But its more likely ill try my luck crafting a savage polearm. At later stages I can hope for tals mak using some mf :).

Currently i have 169 HP (65 VIT) and 153 mana (75 ENE). I still have no clue what would be a good HP/mana ratio for a naked HC ES sorc. But I was thinking to keep mana just below HP, to prevent getting that mana curse.

Also, could someone tell me what is the earliest/best way to make a 4 socketed polearm?
    edit: found all my answers in this topic. Basically need to bring larzuk a good polearm ilvl 26-40, or be lucky at NM difficulty with drop.

Noise, level 20, Act 2