Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

WarHammer/ WarHammer 40 000??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by TurbulentTurtle, Feb 10, 2004.

1. TurbulentTurtle

TurbulentTurtle IncGamers Member

WarHammer/ WarHammer 40 000??

My friend recently introduced me into collecting these figurines known as WarHammer and WarHammer 40 000. I just want to know if anyone else collects these things or has ever even heard of this.
    If you do not know what these things are, they're overpriced miniatures which you assemble and paint by hand. Then you can play and have battles with other friends once you have assembled and collected an entire army.
    I didn't think that these things would be very popular (as I have never heard of them before), but when I accompanied my friend to a store to purchase some, it was packed withmany customers...

I'd just like to know if anyone else on these forums collect these kind of things, and if you do, what race do you like? I am mostly talking about WarHammer 40 000 because I am not vary familiar with the original WarHammer.

If you would like to know, I collect this race called Tyranids, which is mostly made up of insect-type alien creatures.

2. Killfrenzy

Killfrenzy IncGamers Member

Greetings fellow gamer!

I have several armies orks, nids, chaos, tau and skaven in fantasy

3. publius

publius IncGamers Member

I've recently begun scrounging up marines for a Fallen Angels army, who are basically the Dark Angels that went to Chaos (though I am playing a loyalist version).

4. Mr_photon

Mr_photon IncGamers Member

Me too

I have about 1k painted space marines and another 700 points or so points unmade. I lost my will to paint after i couldnt find anybody to play, no games in a year.

A good website for Warhammer is dakkadakka.com

edit: Wow, first post and ive been here for half a year

5. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

I have an old Chaos army for WH. I never really got into it... I was way to sucky at painting so all my figurines looked like crap, and I don´t know if I ever won a single battle either.
    My friends were pretty deep in the WH, but not 40K. The people I know who have played 40K stopped playing before I got to know them.

Has anyone here ever played Necromunda? That´s the only GW game I was really into. I had this brutal Delaque gang where every model was customized and modified and painted really carefully. I had a Spyrer gang and a Van Saar gang as well, but both os those sucked.

Necromunda? NECROMUNDA!!

EDIT: Welcome to the forum... ehh... poster above me. I don´t remember your name but you know who you are.

6. JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS

JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS Banned

Yeah I used to buy some of these just to assemble them and paint them, I got mostly the chaos guys and made em look cool.. I never played the game though, and I stopped collecting since the little metal guys are like $12 a piece lol :rolleyes:

7. felstorm

felstorm IncGamers Member

I used to play quite a bit. In fact I still have a large 3500pt + Space Marine army, and 2000+ point Dark Eldar army.

The hobby just got too damned expensive. For 50$ you can buy three maybe four used games for the PS2, or you can buy one box of little plastic men. And then every six months GamesWorkshop jacks the rule, ups the price on the mini's and renders your army obsolete. I gave up on the gaming portion, I paint mostly, and I'm really good at it. Took me three years but I can paint like the guys in White Dwarf.

8. Cmdr_Adeon

Cmdr_Adeon IncGamers Member

I play a bit. If your looking for a good website to talk to other players, I reccomend www.dakkadakka.com. (apologies to the mods if this counts as advertising, but it isn't really a competing website *bribes mods with cookies*)

9. Lithium

Lithium IncGamers Member

I used to play few years ago, I think I have a 800+ points High Elf army including bolt throwers, Tyrion, Teclis etc.

That was a few years ago, when I was 14, and it already was expensive then, and it still is now.

10. Glacial Trail

Glacial Trail IncGamers Member

I briefly collected Warhammer, favourite race was Bretonnia. Just painted them and set up the army etc. there really wasn't anyone to challenge.

11. TurbulentTurtle

Anyone here collect Tyranids? I need some tips on painting. My friend said that I paint really well for a beginner, but you can see the brown patches (I use brown to undercoat) all over the place...

12. Rassilon666

Rassilon666 IncGamers Member

I used to play warhammer 40k, and fantasy, a lot years ago.. I still have all my stuff, but havent played nearly as often recently.
    Its all in storage right now. I started when the first edition (warhammer 40k: Rogue trader) came out.

I played: Orks, chaos marines, blood angel marines, and tyranids in 40k
    Orcs & goblins and chaos in fantasy.

The 3rd edition 40k rules suck donkey balls though, so I stuck with the 2nd ed.
    GW really f-ed it up, and i would get pissed at how stupid some of the rules are now.

No tips for painting tho, im not very good.. I can do a decent job sometimes, but it takes me forever.

13. Killfrenzy

firstly what kind of paints are you using? are you using the GW paints? they may be expensive, but they tend to work very well

secondly what colour are you painting over the brown? some colours dont go over darks very well (i know Blood Red over black doesnt work)

thirdly. Tyranids can be painted fairly easily with a technique called drybrushing. what you do is select a base colour. Then you paint the model with a darker version of that coulour. Then you get your base colour and wipe most of it off the brush. you then lighly brush the nearly dry brush over the raised areas of the model. (ribs for tyranids) until you get the colour you want, it sometimes takes a few goes to get it right. Then if you want you can do a lighter drybrush (wipe even more paint off or just use fewer brush strokes) of a lighter colour to pick out the raised areas.

If you wanted you could even try to paint this lighter colour onto the raised edges

14. publius

publius IncGamers Member

Wow, it seems like a lot of the 2nd edition Warhammer people really don't like 3rd edition. I kind of agree the game lost a lot when they simplified the system.

15. Killfrenzy

aye agreed publius.

have ya guys seen the trial vehicle stuff??? GOOD GOD! WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!!!

16. TurbulentTurtle

Yeah I'm using GW paint. I'm currently using a Scorched Brown undercoat, Gore Red for carapace and Bleached Bone fore skin colour. My friend tells me that my drybrushing techniques are quite good though. =P

17. Killfrenzy

I really recomend you invest in one of the spray undercoats. you could then paint scorched on top of your undercoat and then drybrush your way up to bleached bone, with something like bestial brown in between. undercoat--->scorched---->drybrush bestial---->drybrush bleached bone (make sure ya get good coverage on this layer though).

I've also noticed that Red Gore does not go over dark colours well, but scab red works better. So you could start with scab red then work your way up to red gore, maybe leaving some of the scab red showing around the middle of the carapace plates so ya get a highlight effect on the plates.

might take a while longer, but it should look pretty good

18. Nword

Nword Banned

I play Chaos Beastmen.... But mine are all the old beastmen, o well... I've been through 3 versions of the game, and have been playing GW games since second grade with my friend who was at the time, in kindergarten :D (Talisman, what a great game). Unfortunately, we rarely have time anymore to play battles.

Mordheim is a great game too though... much quicker and stuff...

I love the painting of the army and making scenery the most.... Although, about 1/3 of my 2500pt army is painted... I'd have piccys if i had a digi camera... *shrugs*

A last note, they changed the paint containers again... thank god, the old screw on ones can be so hard to open and or dry up fast...

19. TurbulentTurtle

Killfrenzy: You know, I would do that, but it would take me quite a while to even paint one guy... If I didn't have anything to do and I bought all of those paints, I probably will do that, only to a really good guy though, like a Hive Tyrant or Carnifex...

20. Killfrenzy

amen on the paint bottles man!

and WOW! you were around for talisman thats sweet!

and yes i have trouble getting motivated to paint too...