Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

War Cry stun length

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by DettoAltrimenti, Nov 12, 2006.

1. DettoAltrimenti

DettoAltrimenti IncGamers Member

War Cry stun length

Is the stun length of War Cry reduced in nm/hell? Also, does it work on all monsters, or not uniques and bosses? At high levels, like 32 and above, can a merc with infinity keep your mana high enough to constantly use war cry? I started making a concentrate barb, but I don't feel like I need to max shout, and am looking for another option.

2. bobofuzzlymunky

bobofuzzlymunky IncGamers Member

idk- ask someone else about warcries. but infinity? dont you mean insight?

3. Wacken

Wacken IncGamers Member

The stun length is not reduced in hell.
    It does not work on uniques and bosses.

I think it is a very good skill for shieldless barbs who do not have the equipment to stay safe without it. However when you have the equipment that allows you to use a 100% vita build, gives you good defence, lifesteal and some damage reduction, you won't need it, and you probably won't be using it a lot.

4. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

The stun length is NOT reduced, but it *IS* capped at 10 seconds (slvl 46 War Cry). Not like that's a problem, since 10 seconds is so ridiculously long anyway.

War Cry works on all monsters except for certain superuniques, such as Act Bosses; *HOWEVER*, it only works 10% of the time against Champions and Uniques. The duration isn't reduced, just the chance to work- so in other words, it might take 10 War Crys before a Champ gets stunned, but once he does get stunned he remains stunned for the full duration.

I'm assuming you mean Insight instead of Infinity. No, an Insight Merc on his own will not be enough to keep up with you if you start spamming a high-level War Cry. However, he'll be able to keep up with you if you're using scattered War Cries- such as Crying once every 2-3 seconds. In that case, an Insight Merc will keep your mana topped off just fine.

War Cry on a Concentrator is probably a waste. Concentrators are a defensive build with weak killing speed: adding War Cry will only make you more defensive, and make your killing speed even worse (because you have to stop swinging to start singing). I'd get a nice War Cry anyway (about slvl 10 after +skills) to use as a panic button if you're getting beat up a lot, but maxing War Cry on a Concentrator just isn't my cup of tea.

On a berserker, on the other hand, I wouldn't leave home without a very solid War Cry. It makes it a lot safer to run around with 0 defense if all the monsters are too busy standing there to swing.

5. DEA

DEA IncGamers Member

war cry is a great defensive skill
    when you get mobbed by mana burners, one concentrate and war cry will allow you to break out of the burnlock

6. Uvatha

Uvatha IncGamers Member

Ive got a singer with maxed war cry and its sinergys and max BO. For this built, you need specific items to have a healty mana pool. These items should have some mana as well as mana recovery so you have a quick replenishment.

In this case, where War Cry is my main skill, I can assure you that an insight merc CAN make your blue bubble stay full while you spam war cry and teleport around at 110% FCR.

Before using an insight merc, I had a mana pool of 2k or so mana, and every now and then I would use a mana pot, even with an insane mana recovery rate from items. As soon as I got the merc geared with an insight pole, I could drop to a mana pool of 900 or so and play as though the skill would not use mana at all. Note that I still use most of the mana recovery rate items, droping mainly some mana charms and like 50 mana from changins ammys.

Against mana drainers, I use mana pots instead of rejuvs, mainly because if they hit me just after poting, with the blue one the mana replenishment will still get going what wouldnt happen with the purple one.

Now I need to add that, even playing some other casters (ele druid, hammerdin, fire/cold sorcs, traper) I never have had the fun I have with this built, even more than with the ele druid which I love to play.

7. Wacken

Wacken IncGamers Member

What damage does it do ?

And btw, i dont think warcry is a good panick button at all. You have to use it before they are hitting you too much, or you wont be able to cast it without a lot of FCR / FHR.
    With my frenzier, when i go for baals minions, i use warcry first to give me time to cast life tap. When life tap is cast, i don't need the warcry anymore.
    If i don't use warcry and im in surrounded by minions, i usually have to click like many times before i get off one warcry. Teleport (enigma) works better in these situations. Never researched it, but i guess it casts faster.

8. Uvatha

Uvatha IncGamers Member

Single cast it does around 2k max. The beautifull thing is the damage over time, as it is casted at 8 frames and the damage is physical.

Jump into a mob (or tele there) and after the first cast, only the boss may be still attacking you or your merc. After a little spam... genocide! This is if you play solo; on parties the role is more of a support character as the monsters get beefed up on life, but the strategy is the same; jump on them and stun every enemy in range.

I agree this is no good as a defensive skill. Howl is way better and you are gonna have spent a point there anyways. I am a big fan of barbs, having made a lot of diferent builts and I never used it other than on that singer.

9. DEA

DEA IncGamers Member

i wouldn't count it out as a defensive skill
    howl chases the monster away
    i HATE having to run after the monster after i clear the problem mob in front of me
    i'd much rather freeze them in place and pick them off with 2~3 ww
    and it's always a good idea to spam 2 warcries b4 you contact a unique mob
    you never know if they're spawning with some ****ed up mods like extra strong extra fast cursed mana burn

10. Wacken

Wacken IncGamers Member

Thats not what i mean, I DO think it's a great defence skill. I used it plenty on shieldless barbs for defence. I just don't think it's a panic button. Panic happens when you are receiving a lot of hits, and then you can't cast it properly anymore.

It's a great defence skill if you use it before you are dogpiled. Of course, only if needed. If you can stay alive without it, i rather not waste time using it. But it surely is needed if you try to take an untwinked frenzy or zerk barb into hell.

2k damage aoe at 8 frames doesn't sound too bad to me. My frenzy attacks for about 3-8k and 1,5-4k. That makes about 4k average at 5frames or 20k per second. You only have to hit 3 enemies simultaniously to match that damage output. (min and max is very close to eachother for warcry right ?)

11. Uvatha

Uvatha IncGamers Member

I usualy tele in the middle of the mob, so yeah, most of the time I am targeting more than 3 enemys. When there are ranged outside of the war cry range, I just taunt them to come closer. :wink3:

Min and max are like 200 damage apart at most, if memory serves me right.