Want to try PvP? PvM paupers read here.

Thyiad

Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian
Want to try PvP? PvM paupers read here.

If you've been on Mars for the past few months, you have missed a great deal of expert PvPers doing what they do best. Posturing.

Sorry, couldn't resist that. But you have missed a number of great duels; some of which are hosted on the site in my sig. Now if you are like me and want to join in but don't have Call to Arms/Enigma/name your ridiculously expensive piece of kit then this thread is for you. The idea is this: a nice friendly PvP where all are welcome; except the good pvp'ers found in the Moor Challenge and the 3v4 etc. :wink3: Although coaching is allowed.

We all get together at a time/date to be arranged for a nice or nasty free for all. There isn't a prize but if enough people want it, I'll steal Liq's scoring from the Moor Challenge (but to a lower number, probably 10.)

So far the rules are:
  • Stolen from the Moor Challenge except
  • No Call to Arms (because I don't have one :grin:)
  • No Griefs/Beasts etc - this is to try and get PvM'ers interested
  • No Oaths either (ha!)
The above will change as people post but that's my current thoughts.

You can bring a straight PvM character in if you wish. This is for fun, so don't go crazy.

Please post your interest, times/dates you could do, thoughts on scoring, rules etc here. It's only going to be worth doing if there are at least six of us I think; yes you get to kill me.

If you have read the PvP forum, please don't be put off; the SP'ers aren't like that. :badteeth:

Credits:
PvP Guide
3v4 Challenge
Moor Challenge
The PvP'ers

Psywire

Diabloii.Net Member
I like this idea. Count me in- I haven't PvP'ed with my SP characters b4 so this will be good fun!.

Thyiad

Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian
Guys if you could me me an idea of times/dates that would help thanks. :grin: Four hours after this post/around the time of this post would be fine.

Edit: not today, aitrus, I just want a general idea of when people tend to have a free few hours in the day

aitrus

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm in -- as you know =) what no grief, ow, I just got this baby :badteeth:

If this is today (for start) I'm up for it in about 1.5/2 hrs (around 16:00 GMT)

As for the rules and other details, lets start and see how it goes, we'll think of something :grin:

zenithsmith

Diabloii.Net Member
i would like to try this, but its finals soon, so chalk me up in the maybe section depending on dates.......also if you talking about not having uber runewords, it might be easier to narrow down what you want ppl to use is to define that be like no runewords with a rune over Mal

herobomberman

Diabloii.Net Member
oh im in, you bet, stil havent gotten my ohm for call to arms.. so i may just have to use my barb!

edit: as for times, id prolly be way out cause im down in australia, but if others name a time, i could prolly stay up a few extra hours :)

Zhao_Yue

Diabloii.Net Member
Sounds interesting. Reminds me of Jantia's (RIP) attempt at creating PvP rules for the less wealthy/new-to-PvP crowd.

You should hammer out a complete set of rules with limits to skill/item usage so you don't fall into a situation where someone dominates greatly. Or you can reference Jantia's draft of his rules set, I thought it was going in a good direction.

zenithsmith

Diabloii.Net Member
hmm those rules are confusing! i don't see why paladin's resist passive bonus counts as asorb/ +max from items, i mean since they only count hard points, it takes away alot of skill points unless you go vengence which i was thinking of but thats not do-able i don't think

Cattleya

Diabloii.Net Member
This is an intersting idea. I don't have very many high level characters, but it might be fun to try out Melody my ES Enchantress (even knowing full well that enchantresses tend to suck in PvP.) However, teleport is a pretty critical part of my play strategy with her, so if teleport for sorceresses is banned, I'll have to pass.

I'm generally available on Saturdays and Sundays once I wake up. (Which generally would be 2-3 hours before the time stamp on this post.)

Zhao_Yue

Diabloii.Net Member
hmm those rules are confusing! i don't see why paladin's resist passive bonus counts as asorb/ +max from items, i mean since they only count hard points, it takes away alot of skill points unless you go vengence which i was thinking of but thats not do-able i don't think
You'd want to prevent people from total negating damage from opponents. For instance if you used a Tesladin (20 Holy Shock, 20 Resist Lightning) and wore Thundergod's Vigor, pretty much most lightning based attacks would do nothing to you.

Zhao_Yue

Diabloii.Net Member
We all get together at a time/date to be arranged for a nice or nasty free for all. There isn't a prize but if enough people want it, I'll steal Liq's scoring from the Moor Challenge (but to a lower number, probably 10.)
Sounds interesting I can join to give advice if there is space. I can join with one of my crazier/ineffective builds to level the playing field.

So far the rules are:
  • Stolen from the Moor Challenge except
  • No Call to Arms (because I don't have one :grin:)
  • No Griefs/Beasts etc - this is to try and get PvM'ers interested
  • No Oaths either (ha!)
The above will change as people post but that's my current thoughts.
- You could just put a limit on rune usage, ie. limit the maximum to Gul.
- You could also limit overpowered prepatch items, ie. stick with items 1.10+

You can bring a straight PvM character in if you wish. This is for fun, so don't go crazy.

Please post your interest, times/dates you could do, thoughts on scoring, rules etc here. It's only going to be worth doing if there are at least six of us I think; yes you get to kill me.
Weekends seem best for most people.

tartanasia

Diabloii.Net Member
I would be up for this. I have a starnge feeling that with the rune limiitems like fathom,nithwing,griffon,ormus,eschuta is gonna make some sorcs unstopable

pedu

Diabloii.Net Member
I would like this too, just not ready yet. Will see how it is when i have nicer chars/items.

Deaddave

Diabloii.Net Member
was that no oaths comman aimed at me with my 1%off perfect oath of thyiad :grin:
il be willing to coach someone/ help them lvl there build and so on and so.

i mite join with a zealing enchantress for a laugth (even if they do suck in pvp)

smoknjester

Diabloii.Net Member
I'd like to get in on this as well...absolutely no PvP experience if that's OK.
I have a lvl 68 wind druid I'd like to start with...would he be a good character to start with???