Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Want to play Diablo 2 again, which character

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by azsamsancho, May 26, 2008.

1. azsamsancho

azsamsancho IncGamers Member

Want to play Diablo 2 again, which character

Hi guys,

I used to play Diablo 2 back in high school with Necromancer. I never finished it on normal though. I only played it until Beginning of Act IV. I've never killed Diablo. It has been my favorite games of all times. After several years I went back to play it while in college with Barbarian, but did not have time and stoped pretty soon.

Now, after several years gain, I am ready to start over. I want to at least go through normal and kill Diablo.

I need some advice on which character to invest my time though and I am hoping that you guys can help me out. I know that I do not want Necromancer as it is the type of character that relies on the corpses to do his fights, so he is out of the picture.

Which character tho? Barbarian or Sorceress or..

THANK YOU in advance!

2. Skinhead On The MBTA

Skinhead On The MBTA IncGamers Member

Re: Want to play Diablo 2 again, which character

First, may I say: Welcome to the forum! Check out the stickie, be nice to the mods, etc etc…

If you don't want to go for a Necromancer (I would recommend a Fishymancer, which is a great starting character), then it's hard to go wrong with a Blizzard/Fireball Sorc. A Barbarian is quite difficult to do without reasonable gear, which I assume you don't have if you've just restarted.

My first character was actually a Holy Shock Zealot, who worked great. He got much better once I got some gear though (for example, Azurewrath which he found in the Worldstone Keep in Hell).

3. azsamsancho

Yes, I am starting out fresh from 0 :) I am looking for a character which can handle the biggest enemies at the end of each act. I struggled back in high school with my Necromancer. I found barbarian to be pretty challenged to kill those monsters as well. However, I never followed a specific build\type of character. I think I would like to develop someone who can kill from distance like Sorceress. I think that the Sorceress can run, while still cast spells on the monsters which gives her advantages still doing her own work unlike Necromancer. When I was in high school, my brother played with Sorceress and his quest seemed much more manageable and killing the big monsters was achievable without too many deaths becaseu fi the fact i mentioned earlier -- distance attach, run while casting spells.

I read through the guides and type of guides, looking for exactly that, an advice which character to go with but could not find any info. Thanks for the warm welcome!

4. Merlin The Wizzard

Merlin The Wizzard IncGamers Member

From the sound of it, you have normal Diablo 2... I'd advise you to get the expansion pack (Lord of Destruction) because it not only finishes the storyline (dont worry, no spoilers from me :p), but it also gives access to two great new character types, the druid and the assassin.

After that, it mostly depends on what you like most.
    Caster? Sorceress.
    Ranged? Amazon (javelin or bow)
    Melee? Barbarian = mostly physical, Paladain = mostly elemental.
    Summoner? - Necromancer (or druid).

5. azsamsancho

I have the expansion as well. I just never thought much of/explored the 2 new characters. I think back in the days Sorceress and Barbarian (cookie-cutter was it called) were the most played ones.

6. Merlin The Wizzard

Sorceress still is :p Well, try an assassin for a spin, her martial arts are quite entertaining and surprisingly effective, even with normalish gear.

Another good char is an LF/CS amazon. Those can really cause some hurting. Nightfish made a LF/FA hybrid which works quite good. (Nightfish is the one the fishymancer is named after...)

With the sorceress its hard to go wrong, since each of the trees has pretty valuable skills, and they are quite hard to miss. However, playing one can be frustrating, especially at the start of the game. If you go for a fire or firehybrid sorc, definetely check out Akara for a good two socketed staff with mods to useful skills (best would be the fire skills). This may take a while, and running the countess as well, but if you manage to get a nice 2os staff with +3 to fireball on it, making the runeword leaf will net you an effective +6 to fireball, and the +6 to warmth will really help with mana recharge...

Paladins I know little about. However, there are tons of good builds out there. A surprisingly fun choice is going for the Holy Shock/Holy Freeze aura with the corresponding synergies...

Barbarian? Few builds to choose from, and, as mentioned before, most will become quie tough in the later parts w/out good gear. A berserker with a maxed out War Cry can be nice. Same goes for a frenzier. Whichever you choose, make sure to max out Battle Orders for a tremendous life and mana boost.

Necromancer? Safest build of them all is probably the fishymancer. Most of the other builds are more problematic, but certainly doable. A bone mage can be quite effective, since they deliver good magical damage, and few mobs have good resists against those. Never neglect the Curse tree (easily one of the most useful components for a SP necromancer), and a low lvl Clay Golem is quite useful as well.

7. Ugla

Ugla IncGamers Member

Blizzballers are rather weak untwinked. Not that you could not farm /p1 Meph for some stuff, but until you get really powerful gear (including skillers), she'll remain an average character - well, still a sorceress :wink3: I would better opt for single elementalists as a starter.

8. azsamsancho

Hey, Merlin The Wizzard, thanks for the explanation! I was going though the forums and looking at each of the subformus (amazon, sorceress, etc) trying to judge the best one to play by the volume of views in a subforum. Same goes for build guides :)

What I see is that the forums in order of views are the following:

1. Paladin
    2. Druid
    3. Necromancer

Most popular Guides are:
    1. The 1pt smiter guide to Uber Tristram v 1.0. (404k of views :0)
    2. Fishymancer - Version 2.1 (147k of views)
    3. Vega's MF Sorc (94k of views)

:D

Anyway judging by the views might be misleading as I am guessing some characters are more discussed when it comes to Online Multiplaying. I am solely interested in Single player mode, no trading, none of that.

9. isan

isan IncGamers Member

Hi azsamsancho, you are right that it is not wise to judge only by views.
    I have made 14 builds as for now, at least one from each classes. My own first character is CL/FO sorc but I screwed her skill and stat points so she is not effective, I still level her to ** though. In my opinion, the most important thing for new character is skill and stat points placement, as long as it is not screwed up, I believe you can complete the game even in Hell mode. So, read a good guide and follow it. In my experience, I spend more time in reading informations about a build than playing the game and building the character.
    I have to mention that Fishymancer is widely known as a very safe build as long as you keep yourself behind your minions. I experience that too with mine, all you need to do is summon your minions, and then walking around cursing monsters and exploding corpses. You can use MF gears and start collecting good gears.
    Good luck with your new character, have fun with it :smiley:

10. azsamsancho

Honestly, I am a bit reserved on Necromancer because

1) I've played it back in high school
    2) I feel like it is not as exciting (it is kind of lazy) sitting away and waiting your magis and skeletons to do the work. Whats the point, you just back, have a beer and watch how the game beats the game? It does seem like a safe bet but I think I am going to exclude Necromancer from my considerations.

11. Gambitsreturn

Gambitsreturn IncGamers Member

Hi and welcome to the forum. I would have to give my vote to an assassin. I started my single player career with a lightning trap assassin. It is probably one of the safest builds next to the fishymancer (I still haven't made one of these either b/c they bore me to) when you use mind blast, cloak of shadows and fade. I maxed LS/DS/CBS/FB and put extra skills into shock web. Lightning traps will pretty much destroy any moster in normal and nm with very basic gear. Another great thing about assassins is that you can shop your end game weapons from Anya. Here is a link to my guardian thread click.

You may want to have a look at the Mat/Pat/Guardian thread in the stickies for other ideas.

Good luck!

12. isan

isan IncGamers Member

The challenge of the game is especially in the Hell mode, and it seems that you have not tasted it, right? I believe almost every build will face difficulty in the Hell mode due to immunities and other special abilities of the monsters. As an example, the "lazy" Fishymancer that you described can only be done before Hell mode. Although I agreed that minions are dominant in the Normal and Nightmare mode and kills for you, in Hell mode the main killing poweris in the Corpse Explosion from the Fishymancer, because the minions is not very effective anymore.

Anyway, it seems that you are interested in Sorceress. I have tried several builds of sorc: CL/FO, Meteorber, Blizzballer, and recently pure Blizzard sorc. As a general rule, pure element sorc will have more damage than dual element sorc, however pure element sorc will face more problems with the immune monsters in Hell mode. Read the guides in the Sticky and decide which one that you like.

http://forums.diabloii.net/showpost.php?p=1354331&postcount=25

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  13. Merlin The Wizzard

MF sorc is certainly useful to have... But if you need to get back into the game, then it's best to pick a fairly easy build. Several assassin builds (trapsin as suggested above (thats an assassin using traps, usually lightning/Death Sentry combo), Phoenix Striker (Great skill, quite customizable (You can choose which synergy, and thus, which elemental damage type, to pump), and it can be used with all weapons, not just assassin claws), and a Blade Fury sin I guess, but I never build one of those. Assassins are quite fun due to good attack skills in both the traps and the martial arts tree, and a very solid Shadow Tree, with at least 4 very useful skills, read, one point wonders (Burst of Speed, Fade, Cloak of Shadows!! and Mind Blast) +2 summonables

Or pick one of the paladin builds (there are plenty out there, and almost all are hell viable). The most cookie cutter build around is probably the hammerdin (I never made one), but it's reputed these bad boys can do insane amounts of damage and are quite safe. It might not be a bad idea to check one of those out as well.

And there is more to necromancer life then summonables! Granted, almost all other builds are more challenging, but you can go bone mage, (Teeth is fun... it looks terribly weak, but that skill gains a teeth with every point you add, is quite spammable and has some of the best synergy bonusses in the game. Plus, you get to call yourself a dentist :p), go with a venommancer (poison damage can be quite potent, if you go this way though, it's best to read the Tao of poison(Listed in the strategy forums) and a few guides on the poisonmancer, since there is some in depth explanation that helps you build something with awesome poison damage).

14. azsamsancho

I think there are a number of extremly intersing build out of all the characters. i do not think I will have too much time do do severalcharacters as my free time is kind of limited ( Iam a working professinoal :D) So far i've kind of made up my mind to either a

Fichymancer
    or
    Meteorb Sorceress

The builds that you guys are suggesting sound really intresting. And to be honest, I am not sure if I will have enough play time to get through hell mode before Diablo III comes out :) I think it is coming pretty soon, right? I am guessing Fichymancer will be the fastest to go through the monsters.

15. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 IncGamers Member

Heh, I wouldn't hold your breath. Blizzard might surprise us and announce it soon but even then it would still be a long time before it actually was sitting on store shelves.

16. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

This probably means you were playing an earlier patch of the game. It was probably v1.09, or maybe even a previous patch. The point is, necromancers were, for the most part, woefully underpowered in such patches. This is not the case now, where they are a powerful class indeed.

If you want to make sure you're playing the latest version, the easiest way is to try connecting to battle.net from within the game (assuming the computer you installed the game on has an internet connection). The game will then automatically download and install the appropriate patch.

If you use separate computers for gaming and internet use, then the latest patch can be found on Blizzard's site here (v1.11b at the time of this post).
    Well, you can play that way. Personally, I find it fun to sit back while my army kills stuff, even though I also play more intensive builds (like my boltress). However, if you want to kill at maximum speed, you should not be sitting idly back. Instead, you should be cursing enemies and exploding corpses. Corpse Explosion is one of the most devastating skills in the game, as the damage it does scales with monster base life, and it deals both fire and physical damage (so very few things are immune to it, especially when you have Amplify Damage and Lower Resist curses at your disposal).

Basically what you want is a build that is not heavily dependent on gear. Obviously, any build will benefit from better gear, but most builds that are primarily physical attackers tend to be tied to their equipment, particularly their weapons. It's awfully hard to kill monsters when your weapon barely deals enough damage to overcome the monster's life regeneration, especially if you also have trouble hitting your targets.

Builds that do well in this regard tend to be skill-dependent builds- that is, where the skills you use deal damage, rather than the weapon. Obviously, spellcasters fit this description, but other builds that qualify are amazons using the fire and cold bow skills and the lightning spear/javelin skills, and paladins using holy Freeze and/or Holy Shock. Sorceresses are especially attractive for item-hunting because not only are they somewhat gear-independent, but they also have Teleport at their disposal. If you plan to kill Mephisto over and over in the hopes of good items dropping, you will really appreciate this.

Beyond that, welcome to the forums, make an introduction post if you haven't already, and read the stickies regarding the rules, as well as those regarding RWM (if you want to use the new battle.net realm-only runewords) and ATMA (if you want to be able to hoard items you find, and/or transfer them between characters).

17. azsamsancho

Hi pharaoh,

Thanks. You are absolutely right, I did play the 1.09 version back then. i did not know that a patch introduces that much of an improvement. I always thought patches are more to fix bugs in the game rather than drastically enhancing the game play. I guess, I am wrong :)

Yeah i like the necro because it does fight from distance but the "lazyness" I referred to is not because I literary sit back and do not do anything, yes you do the curses and what not, but the fact of the matter is that you "soldiers" magis or skeletons, etc kind of do the dirty work for you. As opposed to Sorceress for example where she kills everything herself. That's why I call the Necromancers lazy characters.