Want to keep Diablo 3 fast? Remove the cooldowns.

slovek

Diabloii.Net Member
Want to keep Diablo 3 fast? Remove the cooldowns.

So I know there were a couple skills in d2 that had cooldowns. Meteor, Frozen orb etc. had small cooldowns. But they were so small it was almost non-existant. I don't dig the trend to slow things down with cooldowns.

I vote keep things quick n' spamable.

ExtraStrongFireEnchanted

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Want to keep Diablo 3 fast? Remove the cooldowns.

I partially agree. I definetly don't want to have IWIN skills with long cooldowns. The limit is of course a subject of discusion, but I'd look at any skill with cooldown longer than 10-20s with suspision until I try it in game.

I just hope there aren't any god modes, even if every X minutes or even hours, like infamous WoW paladin bubbles. Though I still think that cutting out paladin class altogether would be an even better choice ;)

slovek

Diabloii.Net Member

I partially agree. I definetly don't want to have IWIN skills with long cooldowns. The limit is of course a subject of discusion, but I'd look at any skill with cooldown longer than 10-20s with suspision until I try it in game.

I just hope there aren't any god modes, even if every X minutes or even hours, like infamous WoW paladin bubbles. Though I still think that cutting out paladin class altogether would be an even better choice ;)
I totally agree. No bubble, iceblock, etc. Keep those things out of this game.

Rashiminos

Diabloii.Net Member

Hammerdins just aren't cheesy enough I hear...

eseven

Diabloii.Net Member

200 fcr spammable Orbs/Blizzard? Sign me up please!

5zigen

Diabloii.Net Member

On the other hand, if you want to add variety to the game cooldowns are the way to do it.

Take your pick, spamming 1 skill constantly, or having to choose whichever of your 4 skills is cooled down and appropriate for the situation. Which sounds more boring?

sicilian

Diabloii.Net Member

Some cooldowns are fine. I've actually saved mana because of some of them, like the Hurricane cooldown. Sometimes my Hurricane would run out in the middle of a battle, and in my frenzy to get it back up, I repeatedly hit the button. With no cooldown, I would have reeled off 3 or 4 Hurricanes at 35 mana a piece with no additional benefit.

MinionOfBoredom

Diabloii.Net Member

The thing that really bothers me about current Diablo II is the shared cooldown. I would say keep the original skill cooldowns (so we don't get 200% FCR meteor showers), but unravel the shared cooldown so we could go from meteor to orb to firewall to et cetera in succession without having to wait for each one to cool.

Rashiminos

Diabloii.Net Member

Without cooldowns it's just about the neverending spam of doom strategy...

Rotating skills is more interesting...

D1 had chain-lightning spam....

ScooterMcGee

Diabloii.Net Member

I'm not for cooldowns if they implemented MMORPG style.

1mn, 10mns, 30ms, and hour... No way.

D2's cd's were alright imo, they did lead toward spam but that was more so because of the real lack of diversity in alot of builds. The lack of diversity I'm talking about is most builds you focused on 1 maybe 2 skills you max and use almost solely(static really doesnt count). Synergies played in upon this.

5, maybe even 10sec cd's are ok. But if it's a fast paced ARPG waiting on CD's is sort of, how would you put it, ahh, sac religious. It's all about the intense nonstop fighting of a plethora of mobs, waiting for something to pop is ok if it's only 5 or 10seconds at most but things like not engaging bosses cause you 5mn CD is down is too MMORPG imho.

I'm opposed to pure spam but also against MMORPG fighting(in a ARPG im talking about).

There's a fine line between intense nonstop combat and strategically placed slow timing. Hopefully they get it right.

5zigen

Diabloii.Net Member

I'm not for cooldowns if they implemented MMORPG style.

1mn, 10mns, 30ms, and hour... No way.

Agreed. Keep cooldowns on skills to 10-15 seconds max I think would be fine. Also, no linked cooldowns would be good too.

Sequitur

Diabloii.Net Member

I agree that having some skills with cooldowns in perfectly fine. As others have said, spamming one or two skills constantly offers little challenge. Being able to utilise many skills while managing cooldowns effectively is a lot more exciting, not to mention that it offers more to the strategically minded. That said, I don't mean that I want to see anything as full on as the WoW cooldown system, nor do I expect anything like that to be implemented.

Also, if you watch the GP trailer, the first skill used (about 30 seconds in) is the Barbarian's aoe stun (up to this point unnamed). I'm not sure about others, but I don't really expect Blizzard to let me spam this skill and kill everything, without being given a window in which to get beaten on by monsters. Hardly challenging.

In short: Yes, to cooldowns - No, to making the system over the top,

Ba da bing..

jamesisbest

Diabloii.Net Member

I think blizzard wants cooldowns so you cycle through several skills instead of spamming one. When they were playing the barbarian he seemed a lot of fun not because you could spam but because there was a lot of variety in the gameplay. I think they do it avoid repetition, bring more variation and strategy in your combat techniques, and maybe so people actually focus on several skills in making their build instead of 1 or 2 in diablo 2.

stillman

Diabloii.Net Member

I won't even use any cooldown spells on d2. Anything with a casting delay doesn't show up on my radar screen as a possible skill to use. So players like me are limited by cooldowns. I won't even use bo because all of a sudden, boom, your life goes way down again when time's up. I prefer not even to be bo'd by someone else. Some of us don't want to have to get a feel for when it's time to recast something.
I don't see what's wrong with spamming spells. That's how some of us like to play--with less stradegy and challenge as some of you describe. After all, when you play for a 100 hours, you want it to become as stress free as possible. I find a fun stradegy is trying to meet fcr breakpoints while keeping resistances up. So spamming is not so mindless afterall.
Why can't meteor be spammable like in the old days of 1.0? Couldn't they just greatly reduce the damage it does? I think cooldowns are a bandaid solution. They just need to reduce damage and balance everything.

5zigen

Diabloii.Net Member

I won't even use any cooldown spells on d2. Anything with a casting delay doesn't show up on my radar screen as a possible skill to use. So players like me are limited by cooldowns. I won't even use bo because all of a sudden, boom, your life goes way down again when time's up. I prefer not even to be bo'd by someone else. Some of us don't want to have to get a feel for when it's time to recast something.
I don't see what's wrong with spamming spells. That's how some of us like to play--with less stradegy and challenge as some of you describe. After all, when you play for a 100 hours, you want it to become as stress free as possible. I find a fun stradegy is trying to meet fcr breakpoints while keeping resistances up. So spamming is not so mindless afterall.
Why can't meteor be spammable like in the old days of 1.0? Couldn't they just greatly reduce the damage it does? I think cooldowns are a bandaid solution. They just need to reduce damage and balance everything.
Some of us really like stradegy [sic] and the problem with your suggestion is that your talking about making the most stradegy [sic] free system the most powerful one. If you could spam meteor and FO like in classic, what would that leave us with? We would have a system where the best way to play would be to buff meteor as much as possible, buff frozen orb as much as possible, and that's your best character possible because both skills have maximum output.

So in effect, you're talking about taking all stradegy [sic] out of the game and despite what you think, spamming is completely mindless. Even with cooldowns and cast delays on spells you need to worry about your breakpoints, the only difference is that without cooldowns or cast delays you have basically a 2 button game that not only doesn't challenge you to play effectively, it rewards you for the monotonous / boring character builds that use only 1 skill.

Sorry, I'll take stradegy [sic] over rewarding mindless spamming any day.

shadowkat

Diabloii.Net Member

On the other hand, if you want to add variety to the game cooldowns are the way to do it.

Take your pick, spamming 1 skill constantly, or having to choose whichever of your 4 skills is cooled down and appropriate for the situation. Which sounds more boring?
:rolleyes:So how is 'Letting someone ELSE Choose WHICH Spells/Skills your going to use and how often LESS Boring?Lol;)