Wanna really piss off the neighbours?

Anakha1

Banned
Wanna really piss off the neighbours?

NEW YORK (AP) -- U.S. soldiers in Iraq have new gear for dispersing hostile crowds and warding off potential enemy combatants. It blasts earsplitting noise in a directed beam.

The equipment, called a Long Range Acoustic Device, or LRAD, is a so-called "non-lethal weapon" developed after the 2000 attack on the USS Cole off Yemen as a way to keep operators of small boats from approaching U.S. warships.

The devices have been used on some U.S. ships since last summer as part of a suite of protection devices.

Now, the Army and Marines have added this auditory barrage dispenser to their arms ensembles. Troops in Fallujah, a center of insurgency west of Baghdad, and other areas of central Iraq in particular often deal with crowds in which lethal foes intermingle with non-hostile civilians.

The developer of the LRAD, American Technology Corp. of San Diego, recently got a $1.1 million contract from the U.S. Marine Corps to buy the gadgets for units deployed to Iraq. The Army also sent LRADs to Iraq to test on vehicles.

Some of the Iraq-bound devices will be used by members of the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force and the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, both recently deployed to the western province of Al Anbar, a largely barren, predominantly Sunni Muslim area.

Though not officially part of the military's Joint Non-Lethal Weapons Directorate, the 45-pound, dish-shaped device belongs to a developing arsenal of technologies intended not to kill but to deter.

Another such weapon, expected to be tested in the field soon, is the Active Denial System. It seeks to repel enemies with a painful energy beam.

Carl Gruenler, vice president of military and government operations for American Technology Corp., said LRADs are "in the beginnings of being used in Baghdad," though he said he lacked "initial feedback" on how they are working.

Dubbed "The Sound of Force Protection" in a company brochure, the devices can broadcast sound files containing warning messages. Or they can be used with electronic translating devices for what amounts to "narrowcasting."

If crowds or potential foes don't respond to the verbal messages, the sonic weapon, which measures 33 inches in diameter, can direct a high-pitched, piercing tone with a tight beam. Neither the LRAD's operators or others in the immediate area are affected.

The devices "place distance between the Marine and their threat, giving him/her more time to sort out a measured and appropriate response," Lt. Col. Susan Noel, force protection officer for the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, said in an ATC statement announcing the contract.

Gruenler compares the LRAD's shrill tone to that of smoke detectors, only much louder. It can be as loud as about 150 decibels; smoke detectors are in the 80 to 90 decibel range.

"Inside 100 yards, you definitely don't want to be there," said Gruenler, adding that the device is recommended for a range of 300 yards or less.

Hearing experts say sound that loud and of that high a frequency -- about 2,100 to 3,100 hertz -- could be dangerous if someone were exposed to it long enough.

"That's a sensitive region for developing hearing loss," said Richard Salvi, director of the Center for Hearing and Deafness at the University at Buffalo. "The longer the duration, the more serious it is."

Gruenler concedes that permanent hearing damage is possible if someone were exposed to the sound for lengthy periods.

But he said the high-pitched tone is intended to only be used for a few seconds at a time.
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/03/03/sonic.weapon.ap/index.html

I dunno why they're so excited about this. Canada has had this device for years, only we call it Celine Dion.

Silvermyst

Diabloii.Net Member
So when do you get issued with one of these LRADs anakakakkekekeke?

On another note, I've always loved how these things are "humane". Take the "Active Denial System" for example.
Here's a quote I love from howstuffworks.com
Some human rights activists have voiced concerns about possible damage to eyes, but military officials contend that targeted people would likely close their eyes before damage is done.
Doesn't that just fill you with confidence?
"What's that smell? Oh it's just my eyes burning, I should probably close them while I convulse in pain from being cooked alive."

Not to mention, wouldn't something like this surely hit as many civilians as intended targets?

Anakha1

Banned
Silvermyst said:
So when do you get issued with one of these LRADs anakakakkekekeke?

On another note, I've always loved how these things are "humane". Take the "Active Denial System" for example.
Here's a quote I love from howstuffworks.com

Doesn't that just fill you with confidence?
"What's that smell? Oh it's just my eyes burning, I should probably close them while I convulse in pain from being cooked alive."

Not to mention, wouldn't something like this surely hit as many civilians as intended targets?

I haven't been issued with a Celine Dion yet, despite repeated formal requests.

Don't worry... it's non-lethal! Don't mind the blood coming out of your ears... it's probably just something you ate.

Anakha1

Banned
masterazn said:
Question, can a loud noise really make your ears bleed?

A shock wave from a loud noise can rupture your eardrums which will bleed. Soldiers who are too near an explosion bleed from the ears from the shock even if they weren't hit by anything.

LunarSolaris

Diabloii.Net Member
I actually like the idea on a serious note. I think Celine Dion would make a fine buffer for any military personnel in hostile territory... american or otherwise. ;)

dantose

Diabloii.Net Member
so-called "non-lethal weapon"
I love this, they don't come out and say it could be lethal because then they would have to defend that stance but they still imply the hell out of it.

question, is it better to be shot or have your ears hurt by a loud noise? non lethal weapons give soldiers other options besides shooting someone. it isn't like we ride around blasting people for fun. Hell, what's next? should we stop using tear gas because it makes people cry?

edit: for the record I'm replying to the article here and other articles I've seen complaining about non lethal weapons

publius

Diabloii.Net Member
Actually didn't the army have something similar during the '80s, except they were called "really-large speakers?" I remember during the invasion of Panama, when Noriega was holed up in his compound, U.S. troops blasted him with really loud Heavy Metal until he agreed to come out.

cyclotronic

Diabloii.Net Member
Anakha1 said:
A shock wave from a loud noise can rupture your eardrums which will bleed. Soldiers who are too near an explosion bleed from the ears from the shock even if they weren't hit by anything.
Its actually the increase of air pressure that ruptures earbrums from an explosion. But if a noise has enough vibration it can rupture said eardrum.

Anakha1

Banned
cyclotronic said:
Its actually the increase of air pressure that ruptures earbrums from an explosion.

Which is what I said. Shock waves = difference in air pressure. I didn't say the sound is what did it.

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
Don't mention Celine, you Canuckistani fools! Do you want Bush invading you for having WMDs? He has no pity! No mercy! He WILL NOT STOP!!!