Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Wanna make a Barb next

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by robdylan, Jun 27, 2005.

1. robdylan

robdylan IncGamers Member

Wanna make a Barb next

Hi all

I realise I have posting diarrhea today, but bear with me :)

My next project is likely to be a Barbarian, since I don't have a pure 1.10 one. I am leaning towards WW, but the only guides I see are for IK WW barbs. Anyone got a guide or some advice for a non-IK WW barb that's viable in 1.10? If this ain't gonna work, I guess I'll try a concentrate barb, which looks kinda boring to play, though.

I also have this sick fascination with using Andariel's Visage on this guy. Anyone have any experience with this item?

2. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

You can definetly make a non-IK WW barb. Absolutely no problem. A few general things, I'd keep in mind:

1) WW has low ED, but a very fast attack. Hence CB does a lot for you. I'd consider goblin toe / gore rider + guillaume's face. If you're dual wielding swords this becomes even more important.

2) Try to reach the final WW Breakpoint. -60 Weapon Speed for non-swords, -35 for swords. (I recommend an upgraded ribcracker with a shael / ias jewel)

3) Get a might merc. Very useful for you since - again - WW has low skill ED.

4) Demon Limb & Angelic Jewelry help your AR. I use that on almost all of my low-skill-AR chars, like WW barbs. Hitting stuff is pretty important if you're depending on leech to stay alive.

5) I'd max BO, WW, Mastery of Choice and Shout (this one last and only if you have a decent armour (>1.2k defence)

6) Get a point in berserk for PIs

7) Re Andy's Visage: I use this on a several of my mercs but it's next to useless on a WW barb since only weapon IAS works for that.

8) Be aware that WW disables use of potions while you whirl. For that reason I like to quaff a red one just before I go through hordes of unleechables like skellies or PIs.

9) When whirling, always hold down the RMB. Once your barb starts moving, move the cursor to where you want to go next, rinse and repeat until everything is pwned.

10) Stat point wise go for the usual "enough str & dex to wear gear, rest in Vit". Since you get about 8 points of life per point in vit that's really neat for barbs. Another reason why I advocate the ribcracker, huge damage with next to no requirements. Failing that I'd get a maul since you need no dex for that.

If you got more questions just ask or PM me ;)

3. robdylan

Thanks Fishy. You really are a godsend.

1. I guess I could use IK Maul as well? I have no problem with the weapon - just don't wanna go full set (more like can't)
    2. Can Hell Meph drop Ribcracker? Ain't seen one yet, but I guess it shouldn't be too hard to come by?
    3. Yeah - gotta love these guys
    4. Demon limb? No +AR on that thing?
    5. So no point maxing Shout unless you have high def anyway? Doesn't make much sense... Guess I could use my Arkaine's ;)
    6. Right
    7. Pity. The +2 skills seems so damn useful
    8,9,10. Right

4. Randall

Randall IncGamers Member

It's the level 23 enchant, cast with demon limb and switch to normal weapon.

Randall

5. robdylan

Right. Me=pwned

6. Herald of Doom

Herald of Doom IncGamers Member

-60 is for twohanded weapons and swords used twohanded, -34 is for onehanders :)

There are three main ways of doing a ww barb:

dual wielding
    weapon+shield
    2hander

With dual wielding you get more damage and more life (low str+dex, huge life), but with a shield you get 75%block and more resists (3 pdia's, mosers, gerkes, storm). If you're rich and play twinked, consider going dual wield, if not than maxblock route is safer. A twohander is a very viable option though, and a lot of fun in PvM/. You can chose to go str/dex for requirements and rest vita, or go oldschool and pump str for more damage (leaving vita as low as you find safe, with very good charms and equip its possible to leave it at base, but generally 100 vit is safer).

HoD

7. Rugruth

Rugruth IncGamers Member

Its -60 for 2h non-sword weapons. All 1h weapons have -35 for second bp.

A very very nice weapon for a ww is a kingslayer on a highland blade. The mods are awesome and hits last bp.

Getting enough AR is your main problem, you can get 3-4 100+ AR gc charms and its enough, with maxed ww and mastery. Use battle cry on bosses. Angelic is nice but highlords wrath is so sweet...

Guillaume's face is a nice helm, but i think nothing can beat arreats, IMHO, AR, res, skills, etc etc... and if you use kingslayer and gore rider you have already a good CB setup.

Stone in a good armor is very nice too. Try to get a light one. 60 fhr + 30 from arreats assures you will never get stunlocked.

Remember that dual wielding = 1.5 * number of attack you would normally do. Dual wielding better or a high CB setup.

Edit: Damn HoD :p

Edit2: For clarification. All 2h weapons BUT swords have -60 for second bp. All the other weapons have -35 for last bp...

8. Nightfish

Aw shucks... :D

You could, sure. Personally I wouldn't use the partial set but that's just me. I guess if you can use 5/6 of it you get enough bonuses on your weapon to make it worthwhile.

Even NM Meph can. Try asking for one, it's really pretty common. Imo it doesn't even need to be a lot better than 275% ED to be worth the upgrade. Hell, I'd upgrade it with 250%...

Well, shout gives you X times your base defence. If your base defence is low as **** X times that will still be worthless. So I would say it's not worth the cost (20 skill points) if you're not getting any gains (high defence)

+skills is pretty much worthless on weapon damage dependant chars. Well, not worthless but unneeded. +skills is a lot more useful for casters. For skills that give %ED the gains per skill point is constant. For spells the gains usually increase for higher +skills. In other words, for spells, the 40th skill point gives you more than the 2nd. This is not true of any %ED skill as far as I know.

Rugruth: Guillaume's is tons better than arreats for WW... ;)

And as far as FHR is concerned... I never got stunlocked when whirling in the first place... Maybe if you get caught between whirls but that's kinda not happening to my barb.

9. Schmaleop

Schmaleop IncGamers Member

I've just started SP and i chose a WW barb as it was one character i never got round to making on bnet. I'd like to make a Kingslayer etc.. in the future but as i have no items to give i've first gotta find all my equip.
    What are some good budget items i can look out for at high levels to make him compete in Hell? Also how do you get lots of Mana Leech, or what is an acceptable figure? I guess if you do more dmg more often you can get away with lower mana leech correct? So far i've struggled at time to get weapons as i need mana leech on them, now i have a manald ring this urgency has been reduced a bit.

10. SkaMan

SkaMan IncGamers Member

Actually, the -34 is always the last breakpoint for swords, even two-handed swords used two-handedly...

robdylan, check out rikstaker's WW guide here:
    http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=324489

Heaps of info there, really well done :)

~Ska

11. Rugruth

Rugruth IncGamers Member

@schmaleop

Agood weapon that hits the last bp is the main concern for an untwinked ww barb. A passion on a balrog blade is easy to do, and even not hitting last bp its OK.

Getting >7k AR is a must for hell.

About the leech 8-10 ml should be enough to get you whirling, but its dependant on your base damage and the number of hits/whirl.

Get some >1000 def armor and with shout your defense will be enough.

Use battle cry for bosses, and try to get some CB. For the really poor you can craft a good blood gloves (remember that off-weapon ias dont affects ww so a good leech 10 cb one is enough).

EDIT: I did this spreadsheet on the past to look for good sword runewords that hit last bp. Give it a look.

12. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

Depends on your build. My holy shock/freeze zealot only has 4.5k, and he could do with it.

However, I agree that 7k is sort of break point. below it, you hit noticable less, over it, you don't gain much unless you have really high AR (eg 13k, I have never reached that lvl. the best I got was 9k).

13. Schmaleop

Schmaleop IncGamers Member

Ok cheers, i'll check the Spreadsheet out when i re-install office :) Formatted recently and can't find my cd atm :?
    The route i'm gonna take its probably going to be Two-handed sword, possibly S+S if i struggle in hell.

I'll share my experiences with you RobDylan if you like, to let you know which routes are more fun and viable etc. I'm lvl 49 atm, going to start NM soon, just mf Norm Baal to get better equip. Got an Ik helm of Norm Baal which is useful but shocked me some what.

14. Rugruth

Rugruth IncGamers Member

The problem with ww is that you need to hit a lot to get your mana bulb up. Zeal is a lot less mana intensive.

There's nothing worse than getting inside a crowd without mana to whirl out (watch out for mana burn enemies too).

Consider that you have a nice mana pool only from BO, so use it when facing non-lechable monsters. Hit them till your mana runs somehow out then hit leechable ones and then back to non-leecheables. Rinse and repeat.

15. Tarr

Tarr IncGamers Member

I'd also add Venom Grip isn't too hard to find and the CB on it is often overlooked, as well as life leech and some poison damage and resists.

16. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

Venom grip is better for WW, since CtC doesn't work while WW.

17. Herald of Doom

Herald of Doom IncGamers Member

Er yeah, I wanted to say -60 is for twohanders and for twohanded swords and onehanders its -34, but that didn't come out that well :/

Anyway, with a twohanded sword you can only look at one unique (upped Crainte Vomir, not too bad really) or runewords. Kingslayer or Crescent Moon work ( ITD and ow ,although the ctc static is wasted, but if dude is finished you can mule it to a tesladin :p). GF with an ias jewels works too, but it doesn't hit the final breakpoint so you might be dissappointed. For lower lvls you should try to get two Bloodletters, with these babies you can easily finish the first acts of NM. Ofcourse, you can always get a Lightsabre or a Azurewrath, even though they are only range2 they're not too bad.

HoD

18. Nightfish

As far as gloves go LoH is unbeatable (imo) for WW since it's essentially an addition slvl 22 Might against demons. Pretty damn good for those low ED skills.

19. Rugruth

Rugruth IncGamers Member

Yeh and dont forget the huge fire resist. If you have gore riders and highlord wrath/kingslayer sword they are the best gloves (unless you are super rich and got steelrend and a lot of str...). I was talking about playing untwinked, although LoH are pretty cheap too.

I dunno why but I prefer blood gloves over venom grip. They are a good choice too ofc... maybe the potential life boost :D

Just try it and tell us what worked better for you :thumbsup:

Oh.. I love barbs, once I get my computer fixed I will build one again :D

20. Derrick1001

Derrick1001 IncGamers Member

If you can get an Ignore Target Defence mod on a good weapon (like Arioc's Needle) then AR is much less of a concern.