Wanna learn sindarin?

Choogy

Diabloii.Net Member
Yea...its like watchin the Passion and wanting to learn aramic...
Too bad Tolkien only wrote 350 words or so before dying, because they are making up the rest...
*Looks around for Aragorn-Ellesar*
It's kinda stupid, but no worse than Trekkies learning klingon...infact...
I would rather learn that than Klingon...

Drosselmeier

Diabloii.Net Member
People learning languages like elvish and klingon isn´t that odd in itself. It´s been going on for a long long time. What´s odd is that a school has made it part of the curicculum.

Mister 4

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah. Why teach a functional language that you can use in a whole country of the world when you can teach one that you can use at the geeks corner at the next Lord Of The Rings convention?

Steve_Kow

Banned
I suppose there are cognitive benefits to learning any language...although I'd pick one a bit more practical myself.

Drosselmeier

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah... this is a bit like teaching the kids the history of the magic kingom because regular history is too dull, or something.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
Well it's not really a part of the curriculum, unless I misread the article. It's more like an after-school activity. I think it's a great idea anytime kids get to learn about what interests them. Learning another language is a great way to improve your primary language skills. I'm just glad these kids get the opportunity to study something they are interested in before college, as chances like this one are rare unless you go to a good high school.

mouschi

Diabloii.Net Member
I thought the article said the kids are doing this after school. It's an extra-curricular activity so I'd encourage it. Kids actually wanting to stay after school to learn something? Even if it is practically useless in the real world, at least they're learning something.

Edit: So as to actually contribute something to this thread, the Univ of Texas at Austin also offers classes in Elvish. It counts as an upper level elective if I remember correctly.

Der Der Mr Kotter

Diabloii.Net Member
Ahaa Haha...*snort*
:eek:
That's eerie. I'd rather learn Klingon though, as you can sound more threatening if you're intoxicated/grumpy/tired, as well as confuse people with a foreign lang.

SaroDarksbane

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Yeah. Why teach a functional language that you can use in a whole country of the world when you can teach one that you can use at the geeks corner at the next Lord Of The Rings convention?
Yeah! If they just changed the after-school course to a course in German instead, I'm sure a lot of children would stay for that!
I'd rather learn Klingon though, as you can sound more threatening if you're intoxicated/grumpy/tired, as well as confuse people with a foreign lang.
But it's not as sexy. Klingon is to Elvish what German is to French, haha.