Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Wands and attack bonuses

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Jagger2010, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Jagger2010

Jagger2010 IncGamers Member

I have a level 20 necromancer. I have been using rings, amulet, armor, etc with attack bonuses. Do those bonuses apply to wand spells or physical attacks? Only when things are out of control do I use physical attacks and even then, I usually run rather than fight. So am I making a mistake using items with attack bonuses for a necromancer using his wand for spells rather than physical attacks?

2. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

The attack bonuses will only apply to physical attacks, making them unfortunately pretty useless on wands. Sorry!

3. MightyShoe

MightyShoe IncGamers Member

You can use a backup weapon and get the bonuses to apply to that. Daggers are always handy in a pinch (esp. with cold and Poison Dagger) but I usually carried the best bow I could draw. You can provide additional DPS with supporting fire if you're forced to flee the field of battle, or help take out a particularly dangerous or bothersome enemy. Being selective helps. If you have four skellies hammering one opponent, help those skellies make the kill so they are freed up for other monsters. You can also cull the weak so your summons can concentrate on the toughest, most dangerous enemies--the ones you can't afford to get close to. (If you are using a dagger for this, run in and "backstab" then run away quickly so the monster will stay focused on your summons. Linger, and they can turn and target you.)

4. Jagger2010

Thanks all. I have been using skill level 3 bone spear as my main monster killer. I am not sure any physical weapon used by my necromancer would work as well. I hardly ever use the teeth anymore unless I am in the open facing fast, jumpy creatures that are hard to hit.

I think my best bet is to get rid of the rings, amulets, armor, etc which give attack bonuses and go for magic bonuses.

5. Deimos-vd-plas

Deimos-vd-plas IncGamers Member

wands are perfect for the Necromancer, some of them can give +2 to necromancer skill levels (I have one) as well as mana and faster cast rating that are very useful.

Bone spear is the best for killing monsters, don't put points in Bone Spirit.
    Oh, you might wanna try a cool combo: Amplify damage + corpse explosion, it will amplify physical damage on monsters, and corpse explosion deals physical damage (and fire damage I think).

6. Harleycooper

Harleycooper IncGamers Member

noodle tdold me this.. go to drodnan act 2 normal.. look for a 2 socket wand with +3 bone and one other mod at least . exit town and enter to reset. once you have gotit put it in a cube with dol and Lorune tomake white runeword google it it adds alotbest wand imo

7. Harleycooper

sorry i mean place dol in wand then Lo

8. Harleycooper

look for the bone wands in drognan . may take 1hr or two but you will find one it adds +5 to bone spear and lots of good stuff for necromancer

9. Harleycooper

my brain isnt working today its dol+Io not Lo lol eh

10. Jagger2010

-----Oh, you might wanna try a cool combo: Amplify damage + corpse explosion, it will amplify physical damage on monsters, and corpse explosion deals physical damage (and fire damage I think).----
    I am sorta doing that. Here is my process when I run into a mob of monsters;
    I use F4 Dim vision so monsters can't see me. Then F3 Amplify damage so my guys hit them harder first. Then F2 Iron Maiden so that my guys gain life from monster hits. Then F1 Weaken so that monster hits are weakened. Usually I will alternate each spell with a bone spear attack. By the time, I reach F1, some of the monsters are usually dead and then I use F5 corpse explosion a couple times and finish them off. If my coordination is good, I can knock out a lot of melee monsters fast. What is tough for me is usually archers which are spread out.
    I also just added Life Tap. I need to figure out where to add it in my F4-F1 sequence.

----go to drodnan act 2 normal.. look for a 2 socket wand with +3 bone and one other mod at least----
    Yes, that would be a nice wand with +3 bone. IIRC, I am using the Torch of Iro wand with +1 level for all skills plus some other benefits. It is the best one I have found so far through Act 2. And almost done with Act 2. I imagine I have probably thrown away some good items simply because i had no idea they were really good items. Still learning the game.
    I haven't seen any Runes yet. They may not be available until Lord of Destruction.

11. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

For archers, try Attract. You hit one monster with it, and all the monsters around it will attack the cursed monster instead of you. Really useful.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Jagger2010 likes this.
  12. Jagger2010

That sounds good! Although I don't think I am elgible for that skill yet.

13. Harleycooper

im not 100% on what versions you get runes and dont but i advise you gets lod fast ._. adds so much. atm Im hunting for jahs bers and vexs ..may take time they r kinda rare..but one will pop up they r decent currency. oh also if you had internet.. you cantrade on singleplayer as well ..on here :p. i didnt know unti i startied reading other forums here but there u go

14. Deimos-vd-plas

Deimos-vd-plas IncGamers Member

Have you encountered with Duriel?

If you have not encountered with him yet you should put 1 skill point to Decrepify, and be prepared.

Act 2 is my second favorite act in the game, being act 5 the best and act 1 the third.

15. Harleycooper

get a wand w decrepify dnt waste valuable skill points. you canalwys press W quickly like i do toswap.. works well sometimes bonebwall works well many ways tostop the nasties

16. Jagger2010

I don't think I have run into Duriel yet. I am currently in the Arcane Sanctuary located somewhere in an unknown dimension. Act 2 has been a blast.

17. Jagger2010

Multiple posts.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  18. Jagger2010

Multiple posts

19. MightyShoe

MightyShoe IncGamers Member

Yes, get Decrepify somehow! The other posters are correct, one point is enough. More points just increase duration, not radius. You wouldn't want a huge radius on it, anyway. Most of the time, you want Amp Damage on everything (esp. if Thorns is involved from merc, item, or party). Decrepify is a tactical skill to use on specific enemies to slow a fast opponent or tone down a very hard-hitting baddie (like Might enchanted). Like has been said, a must for Durial and--with Clay Golem--can just about bring Baal to a complete stop. Decrep is also a point-defense skill in case something gets too close to you--both slowing a pursuing monster and cutting damage to help prevent a one-hit death.