Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Walt Disney rolls in his grave.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Underseer, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Underseer

Underseer IncGamers Member

Walt Disney rolls in his grave.

Do you think it's occured to Eisner & co. that the reason their 2D films aren't selling is because their 2D films have mostly been crap lately? Nah.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/04/06/media.disney.animation.reut/index.html

2. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

I think the problem with those is Disney is aiming too much at the young audience. Movies like Shrek, Finding Nemo, and Ice Age did good although they were aimed for younger audience most teenagers and adults heard they were funny movies and went to see them. I noticed this a long time ago, after I was 10ish Disney movies weren't good to me any more, I liked the action stuff and funny movies. The three aforementioned were all funny and had a touch of action to them, so while aimed for the young audience they indirectly made them appealing to everyone else, maybe thats what Disney should do.

3. SirKnightmare

SirKnightmare IncGamers Member

I haven't watched Disney Movies since I was a kid, but I have seen previews of those crappy straight to video rip off sequels. If I was Disney and my life's work was being used to make total crap for a quick buck I'd be pretty POed.

4. Technetium

Technetium IncGamers Member

Don't worry, we can always rely on Japan to provide quality hand-drawn animation like "La Blue Girl" and "Legend of the Overfiend".

(kidding, I know there's good stuff like Miyazaki's work and others)

5. Underseer

Sorry I don't have a link, but I read an article that pretty much showed that Disney executives believe that the public can't tell the difference (quality-wise) between the direct-to-video pap and their theatrical releases.

6. Raft Boy

Raft Boy IncGamers Member

Well, when you consider that the direct-to-video versions are more likely aimed at young children (Little Mermaid 2, Lion King 1 1/2 to name a few), I can see why their audience can't tell the difference.

-Rafty

7. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

*stomps on Walt Disney's grave*

I hate Walt Disney. The man, not the cartoons.

8. Underseer

That right there shows how screwed up Disney's current management is.

Walt Disney vehemently protested any characterization that his movies were directed at young children: they were directed at families. That's what made Disney's work so much more popular than the work of other animation studios of the time. That's why Mickey Mouse has several theme parks while Betty Boop has a line of t-shirts.

Besides, the lack of good and popular feature-length animated movies will eventually cause them to run out of decent sources for their direct-to-video projects.