Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Wallstreet drops 10pts after False Alarm

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Darnoc, May 11, 2005.

1. Darnoc

Darnoc IncGamers Member

Wallstreet drops 10pts after False Alarm

A small plane was flying within the no-fly air zone near the white house, causing an emergency evacuation. As a result of this, wallstreet trading dropped 10 points in reaction. Won't this type of reaction only encourage terrorists to try things like this? It reminds me of grade school- if someone called you a name and you got upset, they continued to do it because they knew it bothered you. Wouldn't this be a similar situation? I'm not saying we should let any plane fly over the White House, but I just don't think Wallstreet should have reacted like this, since its so closely tied to the ecenomy. ANy thoughts?

2. Johnny

Johnny Banned

I never undderstoof what made those numbers move. What controled them.

Somewhere there must be a guy sitting on a pile of money making them go up and down.

3. dirkdig

dirkdig IncGamers Member

I think that if terrorists are going to manage enough planning to get control of a plane over the capital, they'll crash it rather than just fly over it. After all, we'll probably realize that they're a terrorist if they're doing this, I'm sure whoever flew over isn't escaping without punishment...

4. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak IncGamers Member

That's kind of the point of terrorism.

Expectations of future profits.

Garbad

5. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

10 points is nothing.

And can you directly link the two events??

6. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

Flying in a restricted airspace is a good way to be arrested, get you license revoked, and possibly shot down.

7. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/05/11/evacuation/index.html

Sounds like he almost got shot down. Can you imagine toolin along in your private jet, realize you're lost just as two F-16s buzz you and start shooting things past you? Poor bastard probably wet himself.

The kicker is he'll get to spend the next 20 hours in those same pants as he's interrogated.

8. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

That's a negative; the spray rigs (like those Saddam had) wouldn't be effective unless the aircraft can perform a flyover - preferably several. I think you may have mistaken the aircraft as a passenger jet, rather than a small private plane.

9. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Sounds to me like the plan in place in DC plays right into a plan to flyover with spray rigs. Get everyone important to run outside? Yeah, go on now, inhale that air! Be sure to breathe deeply!

When I worked in the OAS building a few blocks from the White House, the standing policy in the case of an emergency was to stay the hell in the building (and away from windows) if anything happened, and if there was a need to evacuate we would. In the case of a chemical or bio attack, we were far better off inside the building than running around outside amidst throngs of people though.

10. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

I agree, the fact that the reaction seemed to include the plot from a Spielberg movie (people screaming & running aimlessly) was pretty odd. But then, you're presuming actual planning on the part of the beltway bandits.

11. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

It's the standard procedure, actually, for the Hill. Not the first time this has happened in my time here. I think the best part was the quote from Susan Malveux, the CNN White House reporter, describing what a Secret Service agent said to her--"This isn't a joke! RUN!"

Good one. Incite panic. Way to go. Amazing that the same branch of government that created the supposedly great "Homeland Security Agency" can't manage to put together a reasonable plan for a situation such as this. Makes me feel real good about all those tax dollars of mine going to the HSA.

12. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak IncGamers Member

It is a liberal conspiracy to eliminate the conservative leadership. Note the means yet again - the media.

Garbad

13. dirkdig

dirkdig IncGamers Member

This reminds me of one of the Bond plots, in Goldfinger. They drop a lethal gas on Fort Knox and then charge in and try to take all the money.

Shouldn't Shinnok be here mentioning this already?

14. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Anyone else find it funny they are scrambling F-16's to intercept a Cessna 152? It's like the Simpsons episode when Bart steals the Wright Flyer.

15. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

I'd imagine it is whichever group is on patrol at the particular time. Navy helo's would be more appropriate, but they are probably too far away to respond.

16. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

You wanna guess which is closer to the Capitol building, jmerv? Andrews or Anacostia ;)

Though I don't know if the helicopters at Anacostia are equipped to do intercept type stuff for the White House. You'd think they would, but then the military does wacky things sometimes - Naval Bases in Idaho and Oklahoma are my faves.

17. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Well, I didn't think I'd need to be quibbling over the point, but what I meant was you'd need to have some of the high-speed helos, like the USCG Dauphin's, capable of intercepting a civilian fast-mover yet able to go slow enough and loiter long enough to evaluate the situation.

An F-16 would basically have to splash the Cessna from afar, or else risk playing 'run & gun' as the craft flies around Chevy Chase...

18. myleftfoot

myleftfoot IncGamers Member

Encourage terriosts to fly into areas, shock people and fly away? I'm sure terriosts know what their attacks mean (they saw what happened after 9/11). They don't really need something like this to show them that scaring people is bad for a country.

19. Darnoc

Darnoc IncGamers Member

I didn't link the stock drop with the event, the radio station news radio 780 in Chicago did; pretty well-reputed one too. I'm just repeating what I heard on the news.

I just don't think it's right for Wallstreet to jump the gun like that; I understand that if a disaster did happen, it could affect stocks, so stockbrokers would be out of their minds not to try and speculate before an attack was confirmed. I just think it looks real bad from the rest of the world's standpoint and encourages terrorism; but I cannot think of a thing that could keep it from happening.

20. myleftfoot

myleftfoot IncGamers Member

I'm pretty sure this has been mentioned world-wide. I heard it on the radio here.

Also a mate of mine works in the financial industry. I can't explain it myself but he was telling me that someone was selling a type of insurance that he would profit if there was a terrorist attack at the Pope's funeral. These people are out to make money, and that's final.