Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Wal-Mart is evil...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SassyChickyMomma, Apr 12, 2005.

1. SassyChickyMomma

SassyChickyMomma IncGamers Member

Wal-Mart is evil...

I saw this on our "online local newspaper" and felt that it would be a decent thread here. i hate that walmart is so corrupt because we kinda have no sensible choice but to shop there. where we live we are limited to 3 small grocery stores that cannot compete price-wise or selection-wise and there no other "miscellaneous" items stores. so anyway, i sure hate that walmart is so evil, because they rock when it comes to convenience and variety and price. *(except the one in tarboro which sells defective outdated junk and sucks at refunds and replacements!)* :(~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wal-Mart in the news again By Diogenes
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28219-2005Apr5_2.html

From The Wal-Mart Fact Checker:

Low Prices — At What Cost?

Wal-Mart sales clerks made an average of $8.23 an hour—or $13,861 a year—in 2001. That's nearly $800 below the federal poverty line for a family of three. (Source: Business Week)

In Georgia, Wal-Mart employees are six times more likely to rely on state-provided health care for their children than are employees of any other large company. (Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution)

Reliance on public assistance programs in California by Wal-Mart workers costs the state's taxpayers an estimated $86 million annually. (Source: UC Berkeley Study)

In the first decade after Wal-Mart arrived in Iowa, the state lost 555 grocery stores, 298 hardware stores, 293 building supply stores, 161 variety stores, 158 women's apparel stores, 153 shoe stores, 116 drugstores, and 111 men's and boys' apparel stores. (Source: Iowa State University Study)

2. 5Ws

5Ws Banned

South Park anyone?

3. Jigga-Scrooge

Jigga-Scrooge IncGamers Member

i live in iowa, and yes, it did happen.

4. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

13,861 dollars per year divided by 8.23 dollars per hour = 1684 hours worked during the year.

1684 yearly hours divided by 52 weeks a year = 32 1/3 hours a week.

I think that it's unreasonable to expect a company to pay a part time unskilled employee enough to support not only himself, but his wife and child as well.

Don't you agree?

5. Ranger14

Ranger14 IncGamers Member

I don't believe Walmart hires any full-time employees as they don't offer any benefits to their employees.

6. Mecal

Mecal IncGamers Member

you mean Wal Mart, the Evil Empirical Corporation of Doom is bad?

:lol:

good one.

7. 5Ws

5Ws Banned

Any other large company? Which means that they are literally comparing Wal-mart employees with employees from Morgan-Stanley, Microsoft, etc.
    It would be only strange if they are NOT the most likely...

8. toader

toader Banned

I was thinking the same thing as well Stevo. Except you forgot to take out taxes. 13,861*.75 = 10,396. Which boils down to: 24 1/3 hours a week.

As someone who has worked at a similar place in highschool and college (K-Mart), I can tell you that almost NOONE at those places (aside from managment) works a full 40 hour week. Most people worked from 25-30 and rotated in and out with others.

As far as it being below the fedral poverty line...this would be true if it was a 40 hour week. 8.23*40*52 = 17,118.

9. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Almost 10 years ago I made $8.50 an hour to jockey a register at a McDonalds. Just for comparison there, chief.

10. toader

toader Banned

For another comparison I made about 7.50 at K-Mart as a stocker/clerk 7-8 years ago.

11. Moosashi

Moosashi IncGamers Member

There is no reason to believe that these people would not be on public assistance programs if they worked elsewhere, or that taxpayers would not pay all that money regardless, especially since it's California we're talking about.
    This is only a bad thing if you assume that these stores offered higher wages and/or better products.

I agree that Wal-Mart is bad, but for other reasons.

12. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

And for a another comparison, I made 7.25 an hour delivering pizzas about a month ago (Until I graduated and snagged my 47k a year job =D)

13. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

THis one's been covered. Are we going to be in an uproar when we find out all unskilled jobs that aren't paying much aren't enough to support a family?

Well there's probably a reason they are working at Wal-Mart and not "any other large company". If there were no Wal-Mart, they'd have even less money and they'd rely more on the state.

Again, it's Wal-Mart's fault that their employees need state assistance?

And Wal-Mart is the sole cause of this decrease in other stores? And is the decrease in other stores necessarily a bad thing? Frankly, it's frustrating, more time consuming, more miles on the car, and more gas consumed to drive to each one of those stores separately.

14. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

The point was not that Walmart should hire full-time employees, but that one should not expect these employees to make such an amount, given the number of hours worked. As has been said long before, no one owes them a job.

What decade did this occur in? An economy is hardly static, excepting Walmart's actions, so I find the implication here difficult to accept, when so many details are missing. I'm not for or against Walmart per se, so much as I am against dishonest studies and 'facts'.

15. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

I wonder how many blacksmith shoppes went out of business due to the advent of the automobile. :cool:

edit: Also in further reference to:
    I find it rather sneaky they cite only the wages of "Sales clerks"--the lowest paid position Wal-Mart offers. I'm not an expert in Wal-Mart hierarchy, but I imagine that every store has department managers who probably make more than 14K a year, store managers, HR personnel, who all do better than "sales clerks". Wal-mart also employs ( I imagine) scores of accountants and office personnel all of whom do "OK".

16. Steel_Avatar

So McDonald's pays better than Walmart. Point being? Don't forget that they're in two completely different industries, too!

17. Ranger14

Ranger14 IncGamers Member

Here's my beef with Walmart. I believe that companies should take some sort of responsibility for the well-being of their employees. Yes, I think ethically they should.

Source (and also an interesting read):
    http://www.nybooks.com/articles/17647

Let's say that Walmart is really generous and pays out 400 a month for each of the 1.4 million employees for their complete health care. Not just covering 50% or 75%. Going liberal here for demonstration purposes. For a group plan that size, those figures are pretty liberal considering the average of single to family coverage. That would mean Walmart would pay out 6.72 billion a year for health insurance for their employees. That is less than 3% of their annual revenues. That leaves them how many extra billion? Now, we all know most companies don't pay out the full health insurance amount, but I want to illustrate the worse case scenario for Walmart.

If Waltons were to choose to give a little back to their employees they would not only demonstrate some sort of corporate responsibility to their employees, but they also would still be billionaires. It sickens me when large companies keep the money to themselves and don't take care of the people who helped make them their billions. They wouldn't be in the position they are if they didn't have all those employees working for them for diddily squat!

18. Steel_Avatar

Source

So before you go on about that 258 billion, I'd like to know how much Walmart has to spend in terms of their costs, such as payroll and maintenance.

19. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

I imagine their single largest source of overhead is the cost of the goods they sell.

20. 5Ws

5Ws Banned

I mean, it's not like Wal-mart is paying Harvard Ph.Ds $8.50 an hour, jebus, stop complaining already, we all benifit from it.