VOTING day!!!

Talga Vasternich

Diabloii.Net Member
Dondrei said:
Heh, I've voted in two of those and in both cases just picked the person with the least ugly photo (took a while to decide, I can tell you).
Probably a mixed blessing that we don't get photos for candidates on the ballots.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Probably a mixed blessing that we don't get photos for candidates on the ballots.
We only get them for the council elections, thankfully. Although the parties generally have people at the door handing out "Vote for me" pamphlets with a picture, not that I bother with them.

President Bush has been a lame duck president since the first day of his 2nd term. Don't you know what lame duck means?
That's a recent usage, and frankly I think it does the term a disservice.

Bortaz

Banned
It's a waterfowl dressed in that gold-colored fabric, right? Oh sorry, that's a lamé duck.

Heh, sometimes you just simply rock.

That's a recent usage, and frankly I think it does the term a disservice.
It's been in usage at least for my lifetime, which, while not as long as llad12's, is darn sure long enough for him to have known what it meant now.

Talga Vasternich

Diabloii.Net Member
Dondrei said:
Although the parties generally have people at the door handing out "Vote for me" pamphlets with a picture, not that I bother with them.
That's one of the good things here.
No one is allowed to campaign within 100 yards of polling locations.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
It's been in usage at least for my lifetime, which, while not as long as llad12's, is darn sure long enough for him to have known what it meant now.
Yeah, but both usages remain valid. Really it's just equivocation.

That's one of the good things here.
No one is allowed to campaign within 100 yards of polling locations.
Well, they aren't really campaigning, they have to hand out "how to vote" cards to tell people where the party wants them to cast their preferences.

Sokar Rostau

Diabloii.Net Member
The House is taken by the Democrats!

MSNBC

Can you say "lame duck" Mr. Bush?

Call 1-800-WAH Republicans :cool:

The people have responded.
Didn't you know? An election isn't over until FNC says it's over.

Why did you mention preferences, Dondrei? You know you're going to have to explain someone it soon.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Why did you mention preferences, Dondrei? You know you're going to have to explain someone it soon.
I've done it like three times, I figured there's a good chance people remember. If they haven't heard of preferential / instant-runoff voting already.

By the way, do you know how many people we vote for in each election? I've forgotten. I think it was something like one for the upper house and three for the lower.

jimmyboy

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm not 18 until Dec 27.

As for voting on a tuesday, you are probably less likely to be doing something than if it were on Saturday and I'm sure having it on a Sunday would make lots of people mad.
In about 4 years and 6 months, you're going to change your opinion. If you're skipping college, you're probably going to change your opinion by next year.

Sokar Rostau

Diabloii.Net Member
I've done it like three times, I figured there's a good chance people remember. If they haven't heard of preferential / instant-runoff voting already.

By the way, do you know how many people we vote for in each election? I've forgotten. I think it was something like one for the upper house and three for the lower.
All I really remember is that Tasmania has more Senators than it is technically entitled to because of it's small population and that we vote for half the Senate at a time because they have staggered six year terms.

Yossarian

Diabloii.Net Member
I find it deplorable that concocting ways to prevent people from voting at all is the preferred method of democracy in America.
You mean like land ownership, ethnicity and sex? Remember despite what many think and say, the U.S. is still an evolving democracy. Many people can't even agree on many basic principles and concepts of what a democracy is or should be.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
All I really remember is that Tasmania has more Senators than it is technically entitled to because of it's small population and that we vote for half the Senate at a time because they have staggered six year terms.
Yeah, I remember that.

You mean like land ownership, ethnicity and sex? Remember despite what many think and say, the U.S. is still an evolving democracy. Many people can't even agree on many basic principles and concepts of what a democracy is or should be.
One thing I find interesting is the idea that you lose your right to vote if you're a convicted felon. I seem to recall hearing that the government brought that in here a few years ago - you'd think that telling a certain portion of the population they don't have the right to vote would be a big deal but I never heard a peep out of it. Goes to show how much attention the average person pays to the fundamental principles of democracy (I'm no exception I suppose, after allI didn't bother to find out for sure about it).