VOTING day!!!

Merick

Diabloii.Net Member
Do you get the day off from work in order to vote?
Employers are required to let you go during work if you ask I'm pretty sure. The counting will start at 8pm local time here (-6GMT), different places close at different times, and this country also spans 6 time zones.

Gertlex

Banned
I voted. They had the polls set up in my dorm, so that was easy :smiley:

As for most important issue in Michigan, UofM is pretty sure it's proposal 2: state amendment that would ban affirmative action... "Vote No on 2" has been spraypainted all over the freakin' campus... Just goes to show that those who care about politics like graffiti and are therefore gang members.:laugh:

And Dick didn't get my vote. (Dick Devos, that is) I got WAY too much spam in the last few months from him.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Employers are required to let you go during work if you ask I'm pretty sure. The counting will start at 8pm local time here (-6GMT), different places close at different times, and this country also spans 6 time zones.
Six? I thought it was only three. Oh, or is that counting Alaska and Hawaii or something?

Gibbzilla

Diabloii.Net Member
Everyone running in Texas is a complete douche. Perry, Strayhorn, FRIEDMAN, and Bell are all idiots.

Perry is an asshole.
Strayhorn is a grandma.
Friedman is, well, Kinky Friedman.
Bell has chicken legs.

I don't see how anyone could vote for any of these people.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Oh, for some reason I read that as "English". I guess because I was thinking of how he's supposed to be English.

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
It could be worse, the movie might have said he was an ancient Egyptian in the employ of the king of Spain.

Freet

Diabloii.Net Member
Sorta related amusing story...

I was listening to a local radio personality while fighting the traffic to get home from work. A girl on the show recalled that a while back, some orginazition was offering free flu shot for anyone that took the time to vote. She continued with her approving the idea closely followed by her question "Why did they quit doing that?"

The main guy replied saying he heard somewhere that they quit because the republicans were complaining. The reason for the complaints were they were concerned that the people that would take advantage of this would most likely be democrats for obvious reasons.

Truely tacky. :rolleyes:

Talga Vasternich

Diabloii.Net Member
I voted a few hours ago.
For the record:
7 Republicans (two were running unopposed)
6 Democrats (three were running unopposed)
1 Independent

Sokar Rostau

Diabloii.Net Member
I find it deplorable that concocting ways to prevent people from voting at all is the preferred method of democracy in America. Whatever happened to finding a way to win more votes?

Compulsory voting FTW!

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
I voted a few hours ago.
For the record:
7 Republicans (two were running unopposed)
6 Democrats (three were running unopposed)
1 Independent
Unopposed? Does that happen often? It seems weird to me because I've never seen anyone run unopposed in any election I've voted in.

llad12

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm very interested to see what the results are going to be. Any idea when the tallies will be finished?
The House is taken by the Democrats!
Democrats regain House, promise changes

Democrats regained control of the House of Representatives for the first time in 12 years Tuesday night and made strong gains in the Senate, according to NBC News projections. Democrats cast the results as a sharp rebuke to President Bush and promised big changes in Washington.
MSNBC

Can you say "lame duck" Mr. Bush?

Call 1-800-WAH Republicans :cool:

The people have responded.

Talga Vasternich

Diabloii.Net Member
Unopposed? Does that happen often? It seems weird to me because I've never seen anyone run unopposed in any election I've voted in.
It happens more on the local level than, say, State or Federal levels.
There was only one person running for County Treasurer, and I believe one judge was running unopposed. I didn't really pay attention to the "unopposed" races.
It's frequent enough, or at least the last few elections have had one candidate only for at least a few offices/positions.

Are those all votes you cast this time? That's a lot of contests. Lots of local stuff?
Governor, One Senator, Congressmen, and State Attorney General were the biggies. All the rest were realatively minor local/state positions. Add to the ones mentioned above; Sheriff, District Attorney, County board, State Assembly...you get the idea. There were also three referendums (not included in Dem/Rep/Ind tally).

quote said:
Democrats cast the results as a sharp rebuke to President Bush and promised big changes in Washington.
This was sarcasm, right?

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, I'm going to wait for the fat lady to sing, myself.

It happens more on the local level than, say, State or Federal levels.
There was only one person running for County Treasurer, and I believe one judge was running unopposed. I didn't really pay attention to the "unopposed" races.
It's frequent enough, or at least the last few elections have had one candidate only for at least a few offices/positions.

Governor, One Senator, Congressmen, and State Attorney General were the biggies. All the rest were realatively minor local/state positions. Add to the ones mentioned above; Sheriff, District Attorney, County board, State Assembly...you get the idea. There were also three referendums (not included in Dem/Rep/Ind tally).
Wow, your elections are much more complicated. We just get to vote for candidates in our electorate; we have two elections, state and federal, and in each we vote in candidates in the upper and lower house. Oh, and there's local council elections, but who cares about that? Except it's compulsory. Heh, I've voted in two of those and in both cases just picked the person with the least ugly photo (took a while to decide, I can tell you).