Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Vote: The Mortick's Brace Debacle

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Flux, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

Flux Submitted a news story

Vote: The Mortick's Brace Debacle

[caption id="attachment_371161" align="alignright" width="300"][​IMG] Barbs are up in arms.[/caption]Mortick's Brace, the "All the WotB!" bracers for the Barbarian, was available all during the PTR testing of Patch 2.2, but the developers decided to cut the item shortly before the patch went live. It was a late change, so late that no public announcement was made and the item was listed in the initial patch notes. Of course Barb players were eager to get their paws on it and everyone set to furiously and futilely gambling Bracers, until hours after the patch went live when John Yang officially crushed their dreams.

PSA: Mortick's Brace was removed from Patch 2.2 and will not drop. -- JohnYang

well its kinda reasonable. As an idea maybe give Morticks Bracers only one random effect of Wrath of the Berserker. --Akyrotv

This was the preferred alternative to cutting the item completely, but it was too late in the patch cycle to make string changes. --JohnYang [source]https://twitter.com/_JohnYang/status/585595360770404353[/source]

John's follow up came late Tuesday night, and just deepens my confusion as to why they were in such a rush to end S2 and launch v2.2, immediately after a 5 month S1 and before a 4 month S3. And no, amusing numerology is not an explanation.

[​IMG]The more immediate issue is the removal of Mortick's Brace, and while you never know how much real troll flavor you're tasting in any Battle.net forum post, there are plenty to sample from:

Thank you Blizzard for making Barbs useless, at least now we know what class not to play.

R.I.P. Barbs

Vaneras: This smells like hyperbole to me, but please know that we will be keeping eye on how well (or poorly) Barbarians will perform as a result of not having access to these bracers. Constructive feedback from people that will be playing Barbarians after patch 2.2, especially in Greater Rifts, will be very helpful in this regard.

We'll see how it plays out.

I am not saying barb gonna be useless, but nowhere near good enough.

Will Barbarian be in a good spot in party play? I have many doubts

Vaneras: The developers will certainly keep an eye on the leaderboards, and as mentioned in my previous post, we will also be very interested in getting feedback from Barbarians who will be playing in Greater Rift after patch 2.2. [source]http://diablo.incgamers.com/blizzard-tracker/devthread/eu/14269217011[/source]

The best part is that Mortick's was briefly available in the console v2.2, until it was hotfixed to stop dropping. So a few early adapters have it, and no one else. (Except of course it's offline, so people will just hack/dupe it.)

So, what do you guys think? Was the item too OP and it had to go? Are the Barbs just being whiny? Was the real issue Blizzard removing it so last minute? Or are you just enjoying the QQ show and laughing until next time when it happens to your fave class?

Vote: The Mortick's Brace Debacle. You can select multiple options in the poll, so pick all that you agree with.

[poll id="206"]​

Click through for slanderous photos and added info about Mortick's Brace.

[​IMG]
    Update:
    When you search google images for Mortick's Brace you'll find this masterpiece featuring Wyatt Cheng at Blizzcon, as the second result. Why blame Wyatt? Dunno. The quote isn't even from him. Maybe they couldn't find a good Jay Wilson pic?

I'm all for blaming Jay, BTW. We've been happily blaming him for all the problems from the first year of Diablo 3, Josh included, and the biggest imbalance in vanilla was the OP spin2win Barb. Mortick's Brace is an issue with OP spin2win Barbs, hence it's Jay's fault. Sure, he left the D3 team more than 2 years ago, but this is the Internet. We never let facts get in the way of a good scapegoating.

Update #2: Leviathan/Katniss points us to a short but informative article about Mortick's Brace he authored a few weeks ago.
    Continue reading the Original Story

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  2. mortuus

mortuus Diablo: IncGamers Member

forget going gr45+ in 4 player party, no way u can be that tank without the bracers, ihave full ancient ik set, tons of resistance and recovery, yet a gr 40 is already a challenge so i cant imagine this build without the bracers be anything special :(

3. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 IncGamers Member

The D3 team, after the debacle of the initial launch, has yet to fully win back trust from the player community. They've made some huge steps towards winning us back, but it's still a very volatile "relationship". They HAVE to know this after monitoring their own forums and various fan sites.

I think people would have been annoyed, but mentally ready with Mortrick's Brace being removed, if it happened during the PTR and with ample time to test the performance of Barbs without it.

The fact that it happened at the last second, without any time for the community to the adjust to the change, really felt like a bait-and-switch. And whatever goodwill Blizzard had built up with 2.2 (the new legs, the new sets, adding new legendary powers to the formerly-powerless legs, the quality of life changes)...all of that was lost with Mortrick's removal.

It's just a very frustrating way for this to go down.

4. LUH3417

LUH3417 IncGamers Member

Of course the bracers where OP. That's why we were so eager to get our paws on them. It stands to reason they wanted to change them, but to outright remove them at the last moment and refrain from mentioning it is pretty amateurish.

So Blizzard, if you want 'constructive feedback'; don't tempt your players with amazing items only to snatch them away at the last second. That's like wiggling a juicy sausage in a puppy's face and then not giving it to him. This results in a sad puppy and nobody likes to see puppies sad.

Think of the puppies, Blizzard.

5. Angel_of_Wrath

Angel_of_Wrath IncGamers Member

So... remove the PTR then?

6. LUH3417

LUH3417 IncGamers Member

No. Use the PTR to test and tweak things. Not to test things and then disregard all the data en feedback you got and delete it without letting anyone know.

7. Darkmere

Darkmere IncGamers Member

I didn't even know the items existed until hours after the patch dropped, as I tend not to follow the PTR that much. So much good stuff was added that I don't see this as the end of the world, and I can't honestly say I care about the couple dozen on the top of the leaderboards having a few less numbers in the ones column.

But...

The last-minute switch is pretty crap on such a core item, doubly so without warning. Either someone dropped the ball on PTR testing in a pretty big way or in this case the PTR's purpose wasn't fulfilled and it needs to be reworked mechanically.

8. BaronScarpia

BaronScarpia IncGamers Member

I made a quick research (as in "grabs pop corn") and it looks like one of the major perks of the bracers was the survivability boost. Maybe if it has the/one of survivability runes...

It looked like a obvious case of nerf, not removal.

The fact that it will be working on console is amusing, to say the least. That poor item will be so duped...

9. PearlJamaholic

PearlJamaholic IncGamers Member

Hey look, Blizz fans complaining.

If the item made the game people would complain that Blizz is only make uber items for Barbs, and forcing people to play Barbs.

Blizz made a decision, people cried. That was the only possible outcome.

10. Mithron

Mithron IncGamers Member

It should've never been added into the live patch but as far as the decision to remove them, that's totally fine with me. It's a PTR, you shouldn't expect anything from it to go live. The bracers do seem absurdly OP so just be patient and wait for them to make something more healthy for the game later. A lot of people don't seem to understand what the PTR is for. It's not for making strategies, plans or having fun. It's for testing.

11. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

so many people are just upset that they wont be able to steamroll the game as a barb now. this item was clearly over powered but all the arm chair devs who clearly know more than the people at blizzard.

the only issue i see is how they removed it, like it was an after thought. a better explanation of why they needed to remove it would of also helped. people acting like the barb is junk now is just funny.

12. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

Where do you think they got the data based on which they temporarily removed it?

13. HardRock

Please stop pretending that you're speaking for the whole community, none of us does. Personally I'd say overall they won back my trust. 2.2 is still the best patch we got by far for the QoL changes alone. I don't even care that much about the new items, although they rock. Mortick's or no Mortick's I'm damn excited to try Barbs again.

Also, bait and switch? Really? It's called the test realm for a reason. The devs aren't obligated to move every item from it to live. In fact, they stated it multiple times that people shouldn't have any expectations at all based on the PTR, it's there for them to try things. By doing otherwise people are setting themselves up for a disappointment. Nothing on the PTR exists until it gets to live.

14. HardRock

Arguing that Blizzard should impede their own testing process because a few people can't fathom the role of a Public Test Realm would only hurt the game. This is one case where catering to the lowest common denominator would be a really bad idea.

15. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

They lost me when they cut trading and ah. I played a lot since then, but it is not longer Diablo. Just a glorified Gauntlet Legends (which is a game I do enjoy). This crap that is taking years to come to some kind of agreement on how a class is to be played isn't helping.

16. Felis

Felis IncGamers Member

"Thank you Blizzard for making Barbs useless, at least now we know what class not to play.

R.I.P. Barbs"
    Oh, my God! This IS a tragedy. I can not fathom how the barbs survived this long without those braces. It's a miracle any of them finished any GRift at all.
    </sarcasm>
    Grow up and quit whining. Or rage-quit the game - all the better for the community.

17. dastan

dastan IncGamers Member

Am i wrong to draw conclusion that the dev WILL DO SOMETHING to barb ONLY AFTER Patch 2.2 ? So now their job is done, S3 n barbs are set, just play n shut up ? Seems very much like that to me.

18. ADest

ADest IncGamers Member

Pretty much right up there with TopHatCat, though I don't agree that they've made huge steps. I don't think they've really made any steps yet. The game still has the same level of suckage, it's just a different flavor of suck.

19. Timesink

Timesink IncGamers Member

Separate from the rage over this one particular decision I think the comment from blue about "too late to change strings" is very revealing. They commonly say that they want all types of feedback during a PTR but clearly most feedback cannot be acted upon.

Speaking as a developer I'm guessing their process is something like:
    -- design items and sets internally
    -- have things like content, strings, graphics, internationalization pretty much locked down
    -- release build to PTR to see if a particular number should be 100, 500 or 1000

I commented on the PTR forums that (I think) none of the new sets / modified sets changed in form or function once they were released to the PTR. The only thing that changed is numbers.

It's an important realization for me not to waste my energy trying to give feedback about design. The design is locked, they aren't going to change things. All you can give feedback on is "too strong" or "too weak". As an example, tons of people gave feedback on Tal's 6-piece set bonus. I believe now all of it was a pointless exercise. They couldn't change the behavior even if they wanted to.

20. LUH3417

LUH3417 IncGamers Member

Temporarily?