Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Vote on this character's build!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by JoeBruce, Jul 27, 2019.

?

What build do I create with this sorceress?

1. Full Blizzard

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. Meteor/Orb or similar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Enchantress

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. Chain/Lightning and FIre Ball

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  5. Build? Who needs a build you made it this far...

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  6. I've had this crazy idea for a sorceress...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JoeBruce

JoeBruce Diabloii.Net Member

A while ago I started a sorceress. She received lots of nice presents through the early acts, and decided to not really invest in any skills. (I.e I spoiled her rotten.) Thanks to a few choice orbs, particularly this one below, and Pindleskin, she is now level 50.

Grim Song
    Clasped Orb
    One Hand Damage: 5 - 12
    Durability: 40 of 40
    Required Level: 24
    Fingerprint: 0xa94cd70c
    Item Level: 43
    Version: Expansion 1.10+
    +10% Faster Cast Rate
    +3 to Blizzard (Sorceress Only)
    +1 to Meteor (Sorceress Only)
    +1 to Fire Ball (Sorceress Only)
    +14 to Life
    Cold Resist +34%
    Poison Resist +39%
    Repairs 1 Durability in 20 Seconds
    Level 2 Fire Ball (37/37 Charges)

Amazing how far you can get with a level 6 Blizzard

I think it is time to go kill ancients and Baal and move her into Nightmare. She currently has 4 hard skill points invested (Warmth, Static, Telekinesis, and Teleport). She has 60 base strength and 100 base vitality. That leaves her with about 50 skill points and ~120 stat points. What should I do with her?

Keep in mind I have a Hydra/Orb/Static sorceress at Guardian. I also have a ~lvl 53 sorceress, part of a heptad, who is maxing Lightning, Chain Lightning, and Orb. My gear is also somewhat limited - no big rune words, no Griffons, and no rune word mod. So if you're voting for a crazy idea, the required gear needs to be reasonable. Or maybe I should just see how far I can go without any (more) skill points being spent!

2. zemaj

zemaj Diabloii.Net Member

Tough call... on the one hand the idea of seeing how far you can get before choosing a build is just so stylish, but on the other I have an big soft spot for Enchantress... so that's what I had to go with.

Any way it goes, nicely done on it so far. Very cool.

3. DariusTriplet

DariusTriplet Diabloii.Net Member

Voted for Fireball, since Fireballers are such fun to play - there's just something very classic about blasting monsters with piles of explosive damage. Zipping around with high-FCR Teleport, then unloading a mana bulb's worth of firepower on a monster pack, is a total blast.

4. peytron

peytron Diabloii.Net Member

I vote that you don't need a build, let's see how far you can take it with just +skills items. Good luck!

Babyhell likes this.
  5. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Blizzard Sorcs are the best.

Gynli and ioupainmax like this.
  6. ioupainmax

ioupainmax Diabloii.Net Member

I voted for Blizzard.

7. Gynli

Gynli Diabloii.Net Member

I also vote Blizzard. =)

T72on1 and ioupainmax like this.
  8. Vildecor

Vildecor Diabloii.Net Member

Everyone needs at least one blizzard sorc in their arsenal.

ioupainmax likes this.
  9. JoeBruce

Well, Blizzard Sorc has taken a commanding lead. I have always despised single-tree sorceresses (or any character class), but also know the power of that particular build.

My Hydra Sorc has an amazing AT map and has been running that (not looking for Tal's Armor). She has +360 MF and is fairly safe. Although I'm a terrible "runner" in the speed sense (20-minute Worldstone Keep/Baal runs, anyone?), I know a Blizz Sorc would be oh-so-much faster. And I've basically been using Blizzard to get her from 24-50 anyway, after teleporting through most of normal. In that way, I almost feel that Blizzard Sorc is the same as the "No Build" option. So it may actually happen. I will let you know for sure when I decide, but feel free to cast a vote or weigh in with your opinion!

10. Maltatai

Maltatai Diabloii.Net Member

If you choose blizzard, do not be a pathetic [insert insult here] that let's her mercenary do all the work against immune enemies and teleports past enemies, but rise to the challenge of dealing with cold immunes and dedicate all equipment to that. Fully invested cold skills are so powerful they won't need any help dealing effective damage anyway.

11. JoeBruce

As mentioned, I don't really like single-element Sorceress anyway, so I do respect this idea. Any suggestions on how to do that, aside from getting a great rare orb with a nice +fire skill? Maybe investing 10-15 points in something like meteor or firewall?

12. Maltatai

Maltatai Diabloii.Net Member

A great many ideas, too many to list. The fundamental principle is that blizzard (or any other fully synergized single element attack) is powerful enough in itself, so you don't bother dedicating any equipment at all to boosting it. You focus completely on how to deal with cold immunes.

Secondary attack spells will take a lot of skill points to be competitive and if you do that you aren't playing a single tree character any more. Nothing wrong with that, but dual-tree focus wasn't what we were going to do here. Depending on how much of a purist you want to be, there are a few one-point wonders of interest.
    • Static field of course.
    • Enchant, since it can be boosted a lot by equipment that you then stash. Minor damage but the attack rating is useful. Easily boosted by a +3 enchant leaf staff to start with, not to mention flaming blades are cool.
    • Fire wall. Why? The damage is minor but it is damage EACH FRAME, and that will stop poison immunes from regenerating while they stand in the flames.
    Moving on to how to deal out damage as a flimsy mage. What will the enchantress have that you lack? Some more attack rating and lots of fire damage. You can get by without those.
    Treachery armor means attack speed and a secondd amage type for you, and Lem runes are not improbable to come across. Duress is almost as good in my opinion. Consider yourself unlucky if don't find a lem or Um rune somewhere during her career.
    If we feel like using those for a weapon instead, greet defense-ignoring crescent moon or berserking and zealing passion. Beware, cold immunes.
    Even a dirt-cheap Malice weapon can go a long way. Much better though is the Woestave, the games coolest weapon and solver of problems. Slowed foes are easy foes and it's a normal unique weapon, which shouldn't be hard to find for any blizzard sorceress worth her salt. Or if you feel like having a shield, whip the creeps with the generals flail. Obviously these will work well if you put aforementioned runes into making the aforementioned offensive armors.
    Go ranged? A safer bet, and really easy to make an enchanted Kuko Shakaku make a difference. PMH can be applied from Hwanins belt if you need it but poison and fire wall might be enough. Exploding arrows need no attack rating to explode...
    Less damaging but much safer is Riphook, also obtainable early on. Combine with cleglaws gloves and watch them crawl at you while bleeding.
    The list can be made much longer. After all, you may actually get lucky and run into something elitistic from Baal in nightmare or so.

How to hit the enemy, then?
    Well, you can start by cloaking and cutting their defenses in half. Yes, Nadir is that useful and cloaking is that powerful. Time it right, and you shut down every ranged foe in sight as well.
    Hsarus's boots and belt has scaling attack rating and lets you pick weapons freely.
    Angelic rings and amulet is classical, but the amulet is harder to find.
    A rare weapon with a fools prefix baked into it will go a long way. Gamble away for those.
    Combining this integer attack rating with a visionary hat should do the trick.
    Socket weapons with eth runes if you feel the need to.

In the end, the most important thing is to pick whatever you think will be fun. Do you feel totally naked without wielding a shield all the time? Do you prefer poking things with a long stick? Do you prefer melee or range?

Luhkoh likes this.