Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

volcano vs tornado comparison

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Snarlin Stef, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Snarlin Stef

Snarlin Stef IncGamers Member

volcano vs tornado comparison

which has a longer casting delay? is it significant?

which does more dmg fully synergized?

which is the better pvp spell?

volcano does melee and fire dmg
    tornado just does melee
    vocano can be cast anywhere and you can name lock the enemy
    tornado you have to be really close to the enemy

im thinking about making a fire druid with teleport and i need some advice...
    thnx
    stef

2. Burnt_toasty

Burnt_toasty IncGamers Member

Sups. I saw your other post but in that long ago thread. Anyways since you still haven't gotten answer let me start by saying both builds are viable. The FireDruid is more fun to play for myself. There are some neat things you can do to make it really fun. For pvp though unfortunately speed and dmg is king and because Windies have faster cast rates so they are are better generally better at PvP because of its ease to make one.

You already answered your own question. Volcano is instantanious. Tornados need to hit. Tornados spam. Volcanos dont. That is why I personally like Volcano. Its more skill oriented than a windy and can be jsut as efective with practice because of the instantanious name lock/dmg cast.

I think you are asking which spell will own pvp more. I think everyone's used to Windies are prepared so the surpirse factor of a volcano might be be more than you think. Ill write more in 2 min. Stay tuned

3. ReallFugitive

ReallFugitive IncGamers Member

@lvl 41 Volcano (synergised with a 20/20/20 fissure/volcano/armageddon) : 911-918 Physical & 1629-1792 Fire per glob that hits them. I think volcano spouts about near 4 balls per sec (it could be way more, i'm not sure), so thats about 10,160 min damage for just a 1 second hit before resists/absorb and pvp penalty is factored. Plus you have the fact that it will send them into atleast hit recovery atleast once if you get a direct hit because it has a stun when it is cast. Volcano lasts for 6 seconds so if you got a full hit on a monster with one you're looking at a potential 60,960 damage. That is, if it spouts 4 globs per 24 frames.

4. Burnt_toasty

K, Facts time:

Volcano 4 sec delay. Timered Faster cast wont help. Faster CAst rate would help Teleport. Your main attack will be tactical run/dodge/tp. This gets armageddon a few shots in. Remember the ARMAgeddon follows you almost like a few seconds delay. If the Armeggdon hits they should be near dead normally.

Gear setup to Rival the popular Windy.

I made my FireDruid PvM so bear with errors I know I'll make.
    I know the PvP version is as good as the windy.

Ravenlore -20% Fire
    Hand Of Justice Runeword -20%fire
    Martel De Fer --> Weapon Switch Amp Curse -100% Physical
    Adds facet where you want.

In essence once you name lock them. You could run/teleport around and volcano them for instant dmg every 4 seconds. I assume level 35 which is easy to get here. So you could burn away pretty easy and if you can survive a few seconds of close Armageddon taunts. It could hurt.

EDIT: Since Real posted dmg stats look at it this way. At level 35 your talking 700 physical dmg min. With AMp tahts 1400 min dmg. That means for every amp you get to cast Volcano 7 times at least. Say only one ball ever hits each time which is worst case scenario, thats 7X1400 dmg = 9800 dmg. Thats also not including your fire rapeape.

Thats what my current setup is but people have suggested I use DOOM instead. Plus 2 skills is a alot and with the HOLY FREEZE aura they think that the volcano would hit more frequently along with my aramgeddon. I think they are right.

VOLCANO = Homing Missle, Smart Bombs.
    Tornado = Carpet bombing, artillery.

5. Snarlin Stef

thats funny you say that..
    I have a hand of justic lying around lol.. i just made it a few days ago... its a beaut too... 342 ED (superior phase)

cast delay is not effected by fast cast? wizard spike makes no difference? why not?

wont i need wizard/hoto for mana and fast teleport?
    huh so im confused wahts best PVP setup.. HOJ, DOOM, Spike, HOTO? huh

please advise
    stef

6. inkanddagger

inkanddagger Banned

Why the hell is everyone so freking obsessed with super over synergized builds?

Why not make a hybrid?

Check it out... In 1.09 I used to PK with elemental druids, So I had Volcano, Armageddon and Tornado maxed on one of them that I made just before 1.1 came out - I saved all the other points rather than getting summons

1.1 hits and now magically my armageddon is doing 7k damage, my tornado is doing 2k damage, my volcano is three times as effective, my cyclone amror absorbs over 1k damage, and I can actually use hurricane in conjunction with armageddon to slow things that get too close to me.

Honestly, I don't think the build suffers any at all from not being just one kind of element. And to be blunt: My hybrid will pwn the pant off all of your stupid 1 element dealers any day. K THX.

If you guys want me to list some stats just ask. has anyone made a hybrid elemental guide yet? Maybe I should. It would be much more interesting.

7. TheDragoon

TheDragoon IncGamers Member

By the way, in case you didn't know, I believe Volcanoes can only damage a monster once every 5 frames in v1.10 (thanks to the crappy "NextDelay"). Thus, the damage output is way lower than you'd think it would be.

-TheDragoon

8. Snarlin Stef

bah... who do i beleive? one person says it does suprising amount of dmg ... because it spews many balls... each doing the spell dmg..

another person says its even more patheticin Real life than on paper...

who is right?

thnx
    stef

9. StormGuy85

StormGuy85 IncGamers Member

Even with next-delay that's still 5 hits a second (25 frames = 1 sec). That's relatively reasonable I would imagine.

10. Burnt_toasty

Hey Stef,
    No offense but you gotta read what people write and start making some "ahhh" sounds in your head. Dragoon is right. But it was already accounted for. People are being nice answering your questions but some simple research you'd know already.
    The other thread you posted in already answered your questions but you didn't "get" the answers so I decided to help out by trying to answer it from a different angle.
    There is "no one to beleive" all the facts are consistant. Dragoon is indicating that a single monster can be hit once ever 5 frames. Real is saying that it amounts to 4 per sec which is close enough because the best case scenario for hitting is 5 times per sec as Stormguy says. So Real's dmg example is when you hit 80% in a sec of the time with a Volcano's Eruption. I used the worse case scenario where only the first ball hits. Correlate all the data thats here and make that "ahhh" sound.

Other things you missed. Timered spell vs Casting Delay. Timered spells mean you can cast every "time passes". Casting Delay is based on your cast rate. That is why FCR helps Windies who have casting delays and Volcanos with a TIMER dont care. Yes, teleport from enigma is based on on a casting dealy so fcr cast rate is speeds it up. However, you missed the point. you dont need to chase people around. In fact, people will need to chase you down. Why? Because volcano in namelock is instantanious dmg. That means your the one running away. And if they "chase you" it allows chances for ARMAGEDDON to hit. Also with the faster/walk rate you can just run away and teleport away when you need to.

If you still dont understand, your a "SNIPER". They have to chase you down. You're basically a DRUID version of a FOH'er. Its the same setup almost. Very important statement, YOU ARE BASICALLY a DRUID version of the FOH'er.

11. sk8brdnick

sk8brdnick IncGamers Member

Volcano puts out 12.5 balls a second (1 per 2 frames). The next delay thing is a serious hit to volcano's power.

12. Burnt_toasty

Yes it is, but in all the previous posts we already factored it in for the dmg comparisons. 5 hits per sec possible. I used worst case 1 hit per sec, Real used 4 hit per sec.

13. Snarlin Stef

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

thnx burnt...
    im an old fart and i jsut want the answer for dumbies....

if there was a course in fire druids for idiots... id sit up in the front row.

im just interested in the end result and how to make it work for me... (if thats possible)

the reasoning and break down and testing .. i dont have time for.

appreciate the help
    thnx
    stef.

14. Kirsty

Kirsty The Order of Dii Guild Member

A sidenote is that faster cast rate still is important even if your main skill is a timered one. A simple comparison is as following:
    Suppose you have a casting speed of 15 frames, then you have to go through that entire timeframe before your spell is cast. If you have a casting speed of 10 frames, you effectively have the spell out 5 frames faster than before. Why is this important? Well, in those 5 frames you can be hit or put into blocking animation, which would disrupt your casting. Not very handy if you ask me. Faster Cast Rate thus always benefits your character, teleport, tornado, twister, volcano, armageddon, fissure alike.

15. FattyMcGee

FattyMcGee IncGamers Member

actually, since it hits once every 2 frames, it'll only hit 4 times in 1 second.

FRAMES:
    2 --- first hit
    4 --- hit is cancelled due to nextdelay
    6 --- hit is cancelled due to nextdelay
    8 --- second hit
    10 --- hit is cancelled due to nextdelay
    12 --- hit is cancelled due to nextdelay
    14 --- third hit
    16 --- hit is cancelled due to nextdelay
    18 --- hit is cancelled due to nextdelay
    20 --- fourth hit
    22 --- hit is cancelled due to nextdelay
    24 --- hit is cancelled due to nextdelay

it will hit a 5th time on the 26th frame, so it'll be 4 hits in that second, but 5 hits in just OVER a second.

--fatty

16. Burnt_toasty

Thanks for that fatty. Brilliant work.
    EDIT: Kristy's reponse is on the mark. FCR should be a part of your build if your gonna use teleport. However, dont make it primnary concern. IMO if your using 2 standard items for casters, spiderweb, and magefist, you are at 40% fcr. That is enough I think unless you want to craft and ammy with skills and fcr.