Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Vitamancer/Blockmancer....beaten to death, I know.

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Minz mlf, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Minz mlf

Minz mlf IncGamers Member

Vitamancer/Blockmancer....beaten to death, I know.

I've looked through guides. I've read posts. I've even played 2 Necs with max block to 80 and a max vita to 80...but this is a tough decision for me.

I want to build a PVP necro. Now, in the age of 1100 dmg bone armor, unblockable attacks out the ***, and teleport... do I need max block still?

Especially considering the fact that I think Darkforge would be an excellent shield to use for my play style. 30% FCR and +3 bone skills would be clutch.

Gear plan:
    Viper (Up'd+Um'd) (Until I manage to put together an Enigma)
    HOTO
    Crest (UM'd)
    Darkforge (UM'd)
    TGod's or SW sash?
    Rare +2/FCR/resists Ammy
    Trang's Gloves
    Soj
    Raven
    Marrowalks
    Lots and lots of charms

I just think more HP > more block/DR. Since most of the attacks I will be up against will be magical. And the few that i do encounter that aren't magic, my bonearmor will eat up.

Any input, though, would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Added Trang's Gloves as I forgot to mention them.

2. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

I get the impression that blizzard doesn't intend for necros to max block since they decided to keep the new unique totems as just that, totems, without blocking mods

I would go vita and forsake blocking in this day and age, but I should add that I don't know what I'm talking about

3. FattyMcGee

FattyMcGee IncGamers Member

ash is completely correct. blizzard has made the new totems with low block, and he does not know what he's talking about :p

But really, you're right, it has been beaten to death. Here are the times you need block... when vitamancers will die much more easily than block/dr mancers:

1. good telebarbs
    2. any decent zon
    3. ww sins
    4. MA or hybrid sins
    5. chargers

here's where vitamancers will shine:

1. wind druids
    2. NvN
    3. hammerdins (NOT liberators)
    4. pure trappers
    5. uh... I would say sorcs, but either way their attacks are all resistable/absorbable so you really shouldn't die to a sorc either way unless you're in a dueling league that prevents any absorb or +max res.

It all depends on who you want to be better against when dueling. And I don't know who you will want to duel more... that's up to you to decide.

--fatty

4. Minz mlf

Would it be possible to have a switch set of gear that is possibly PEmeralded and have maybe SS in stash with an eld in it? Maybe push some Dex charms with resists/etc?

Would all of that dex be enough to get me to a high block? or would it not even be worth it? :p

5. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

would keeping a whistan's guard on switch be a possiblity? That way you don't waste extremely high amounts of dex to keep up a 75% blocking rate.

g

6. soulesschild

soulesschild IncGamers Member

i like max blocking, why? because in the age where enigma + arachnids lets barbs keep up with you, and if they're good, they will and should go 50/50 with you, sure you have more life then a block/dr mancer, but at what cost? you get hit 75% more, and usually a good barb can and could possibly take out your bone armor in one hit and possibly even knock down some of your HP, now with block/dr, im hit 75% less

darkforce spawn (which i cant wait for ladder to end so i can use my +3 PB +2 curses one on my NL necro :D) is good for reaching that 125 breakpoint, but i'd only advocate it agaisnt sorcs and NvN, and it is quite possible to reach 125 without darkforce, heres a list of gear

circlet with 20% FC
    HoTo
    Crafted amulet with 20% (wish i could get one ><)
    arachnids
    mage fists
    good crafted caster ring

or you could use wiz or lidless

7. Corpseus

Corpseus IncGamers Member

I also prefer block vs no-block. Charge, guided, and whirlwind just cause too much trouble to be overlooked. In team dueling someone is gonna be doing physical/blockable damage(multishot*cough*) and without block you will get eaten alive more often than not.

8. bjb0mb3rz

bjb0mb3rz IncGamers Member

I was planning on making my necro a vitamancer, but I'm thinking about going for full block.

I plan on using an enigma breast plate, marrowalks, and str charms to boost my strength for use of my equipment. This should leave me with enough dex for 75% block and a decent amount of health (Around 200+ in each?)

I've been wondering about the enigma though... with teleport and all, will/should I really be getting hit by physical dmg that much? Wouldn't max vita be smart for the real threat (casters)?

Any thoughts are appreciated :D

9. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

my skelliemancer now has 80 str, base dex, 225 vita, base energy and 50 unallocated points.

I'm still in doubt.....

10. bjb0mb3rz

bjb0mb3rz IncGamers Member

If you only have base dex as of now, I'd just drop the rest of the points into vitality.

It's all or nothing for me. (Maybe half, though :p)

Unless you're saving the points for strength if you need it or something...

11. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

well i kept dex base to delay the decision.
    I now made the decision. I invested in dex. 100 atm at lvl 69. Using mosers.
    I am not sure if the decision was the right one though.... :)

next week i will level him to 75, then get him trough hell for all quest bonusses and start doing pit runs at 80.

12. Soepgroente

Soepgroente IncGamers Member

My sorceresses do better without block than with block. I say if you have enigma full vit might be better over-all. If you don't have enigma or just aren't allowed to teleport with it because of your dueling league then you should go with max block since you'll be in trouble if you don't.

13. Minz mlf

This is HC... so...all that matters is that I'm still alive and the other person is dead. I'm going to hold off, though, on actually dueling people other than friends until I obtain an Enigma...in which case I will reroll my necro to make use of the +str on it.

I ended up going maxblock :p