Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Vista / Acer 5920 v D2... Help?!

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by CutterTheNutter, Sep 2, 2010.

1. CutterTheNutter

CutterTheNutter Diabloii.Net Member

Vista / Acer 5920 v D2... Help?!

OK, so after a verry long break from the game, I decided to blow the dust off my cd's and load them onto my laptop as things are slow on the work front and everything was going well.. Ok, I had a little freeze up on the install but turned off and reset and got the game loaded.

I lasted a grand sum of 24 hours before the problems. I completed level 1 (slow play) and then got to Dry hills area of play and then the game just started to crash. But it is taking the whole laptop with it.

I know, lappies are not the best gaming devices, but still... I thought that we may have a chance.

So, I am running on Vista (game is run on XP sp2 compatibility) and an ACER 5920

Any suggestions as to how I can manage to get to Baal in hell... preferably before the real one freezes over or D3 finally emerges?

2. Orphan

Orphan Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Vista / Acer 5920 v D2... Help?!

What video mode are you using? Direct Draw or Direct 3D (or glide?)?

3. ffejrxx

ffejrxx Diabloii.Net Member

acer 5920 uses an intel video card
    they are known to be bad for gaming

sometimes when the driver crashes it takes windows down with it

check for the latest driver from intels site
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Default.aspx

4. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Did you apply the latest patch? The vanilla game will only run in admin mode and maybe it has further problems at a later time. After installing the patch, you won't need any compatibility settings anymore.

5. CutterTheNutter

Ok, I run the test and get Direct3D: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family...
    As above - seems that is what I am using - I did try the other day to download a driver - but your describing the crash to a fine art. I have noticed it is crashing without the game now too :scratchchin:

I believe so, as soon as the game was loaded and I went to bnet it automatically downloaded the 1.13 patch

6. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai Diabloii.Net Member

Since its effectively an ancient game, the worries normally associated with a video card aren't nearly the same since even the fastest machines today will still lag when playing this game.

As for the crashing, you either should be getting a blue screen, or instant restart depending on settings. The bluescreen error would definitely help in finding why your system is crashing. Truth be told, the average user will inadvertently do things that increase system instability. It could be the video driver, it could be something you installed, it could be something that infected you just by visiting a web page, it could be a heat issue, etc.

7. CutterTheNutter

You know, the more I think this it makes a whole lotta sense. I remember back in the day when I were a lad and had an old HP Brio with a 4gb HDD and run on dial up and had none of these issues.

That said, I am leaning toward the intel driver being an issue as I am getting a screen freeze and the only way round this is to re-start. Heat, is another thing - I am noticing an increase, but then again, I did a few christmas' back get blind drunk, start up a IM chat with my then GF and then promptly fell asleep and woke up 6 hours later with a burning leg... but the thing was still running :D

8. ffejrxx

ffejrxx Diabloii.Net Member

since your pc is crashing wihtout the game running, its most likely a heat, hardware or driver issue

use an aircompressor and blow out the fans/heatsinks

if that and updating the drivers didnt work, you may have cooked the gpu
    it might be time for a new notebook

9. CutterTheNutter

It turned out to be nearer to what SeCKSEgai posted.

Having placed so much trust in my anti virus, I was surprised when the brains in the house installed malwarebytes and we discovered a trojan vundo.

Basically, this nasty little bugger eats up HDD (which I had seen happening but could not fathom) and will crash a system to protect itself from being found.

Its now done and dusted - I just made it to Kurast :p