Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Viperfork Mancatcher vs. Reaper's Toll for Merc weapon? if

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by numbskull, Feb 6, 2004.

1. numbskull

numbskull Banned

Viperfork Mancatcher vs. Reaper's Toll for Merc weapon?

Ok I just found a reaper's toll, and when i hear about merc weapons, it's either that or bonehew as the top 2. But what about the viperfork? My merc was using that until I found this, now I'm not sure which. Stats comparison:

REAPER'S TOLL
    Two-Hand Damage: 36 To 430 (221-259.5 Avg)
    Base Weapon Speed: [-10]
    +229% Enhanced Damage
    Ignore Target's Defense
    Adds 4-44 Cold Damage
    13% Life Stolen Per Hit
    33% Deadly Strike
    33% Chance To Cast Level 1 Decrepify On Striking
    Requirements -25%

VIPERFORK MANCATCHER
    Two-Hand Damage: 138 To 302 (193.5-227 Avg)
    Base Weapon Speed: [-20]
    +229% Enhanced Damage
    +225 To Attack Rating
    +50% Increased Attack Speed
    +325 Poison Damage Over 10 Seconds
    Poison Resist +30
    15% Chance To Cast Level 9 Poison Explosion On Striking

He's pretty strong with the viperfork, so I'm just wondering if the reaper's mods are better overall than the viperfork's.

Thanks.

2. Azonian

Azonian IncGamers Member

Umm...heres my 2 cents... Personally i think reaper. Ever see a merc with hf and using reaper? Crowd control special

3. Mr Evil

Mr Evil IncGamers Member

Reaper's Toll is better overall, but if you are casting other curses (e.g. if you're a necro or are using Dracul's or 'Delirium') then its decrepify will be annoying. Viperfork is extremely fast and so does very good damage over time. The poison explosion helps dispsose of corpses too.

4. Shadow_247

Shadow_247 IncGamers Member

I'd take reaper over the viperfork.

1/3 hits are 2x damage. Target defense is ignored. Decrepify is cast 1/3 hits. 13% life leech.

The decrepify is the big hitter here, it is probably one of the more useful mods that can spawn on a decent merc weapon. The 13% life leech should save the merc from using other leeching equip. The only downside in comparison to the viperfork, is it's not quite as fast, but with some ias, it won't be noticably slower.

5. TheAntiHero

TheAntiHero Banned

how about eth bone hew its like 200-800 dmg

6. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

IMO the job of an act 2 merc is not killing, but providing the aura, attract monsters and fix them in place, inflict some nasty effect on them and leech enough to survive. However, it won't hurt to be good at killing monsters :D and a well-equipped act 2 merc kills anything except particularly tough boss packs.

If the merc accompanies a non-necro, nothing beats Reaper's Toll IMO. A necro merc might use something else, as curses are the job of the necro and a monster can suffer from only one curse at a time. Bonehew, Kelpie Snare and the mentioned Viper Fork come to my mind in such a case.

7. cypraven

cypraven IncGamers Member

Yes, but where the Reaper really shines is not with a might merc but with a holy freeze merc. Ever see a monster hit by a lvl90 merc's holy freeze aura, THEN get hit with decrepify from Reaper? Basically, they just stop moving/attacking period. I got a ethereal crown of thieves (500+def/13%LL) and a Reaper on my holy freeze merc. Between him and my valk, they pretty own any monster. The only time he really dies is with bosses where LL is really f-d up.