Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Vindicator viability

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by CableDayspring, May 10, 2005.

1. CableDayspring

CableDayspring IncGamers Member

Vindicator viability

I have spent quite a bit of time searching around for this information and I apologize if it has been discussed ad nauseum.

What I would like to know is this: Is a paladin using Smite as their primary attack a viable PvM build. I have read all kinds of guides and discussions on this build but they all seem to be geared towards PvP. I know they would make great boss killers but what about packs of creatures. How does one handle them? Do all Vindicators just have a backup attack skill that isn't fully capable and muddle through it?

How do they handle Physical Immunes? From what I have read elemental damage doesn't apply to smite. Do they pick up Vengeance as a 1 point wonder and stumble through with that or try to rely on a Merc.

I appreicate all responses and thank you for reading so far.

2. Mayhs

Mayhs IncGamers Member

well on my smiter i will put 1 on sacrifice zeal and vengeance, that will help in pvm a lot...and with an eth botd ba...pvm will be owange...just a question if i got maiden on and i attack with vengeance do i get hurt? because a barb doesnt get hurt if he uses zerk and has maidend on...

3. rare

rare IncGamers Member

Smiters IMO arent that great at pvm. you can only hit a target once, and you have a good chance of getting surrounded while hitting that target. you're right, elemental damage does not apply to smite. Although, i think if you have something that casts AMplify damage, it will null the 'immune to physical' property of some monsters. not 100% sure though.

You could try a variant, hammers or foh maybe, and for those builds, try to get any +combat grand charms, they'll help your holy shield, smite, and charge/hammers/foh.

If you hit with vengeance while IM'd, I think you'll take a little damage because part of vengeance (as i remember it) is physical damage, besides the other ele damage.

You dont get hurt with zerk while IM'd because bezerk is all magic damage. IM only affects you if you are using a melee attack and dealing physical damage.

4. Mayhs

Mayhs IncGamers Member

that sucks...especially when ill do diablo runs :( ty tho i think it does all the damage cos it adds XXX% elemental to ur hit -.-if only palas had zerk

5. Weltkriegpally

Weltkriegpally IncGamers Member

passion is a very cheap way of getting it. I suggest taking a look at the Relinquisher guide above. Anyways, vindicators do alright in pvm, especially with grief around. For boss killing, very little beats a grief toting, high crushing blow smiter. You can knock a boss down in seconds, 1 player or 8 player. For other monsters/monster groups, you might want to consider a back up like conversion. a few points in that keeps the monsters busy while you clobber their friends. And yes, decrep/amp is a very good way to kill immunity.

--welt

6. Mayhs

Mayhs IncGamers Member

yeh i know...i just dont have enough 'weopon slots' for passion :p eth botd ba + exile and cta + lidless...no more space and i dnt mind w8ing till im is over

7. Weltkriegpally

Weltkriegpally IncGamers Member

why you need cta on a vindi? you should already have 2k+ life easily, and about 20 to 30k defense, a good deal more if you are using a craptacular exile. A passion on switch should be just fine, I think.

--welt

8. rare

rare IncGamers Member

upd hoz >>>> any exile =(. and yeah you should have enough life; cta/lidless is a waste of a switch.