Video games CAN be good for the brain

Luckymofo

Diabloii.Net Member
Video games CAN be good for the brain

I read in a Discover magazine article where it said and showed how video games can be good for the brain, like challenging the brain to work harder and faster while making it seem fun for the person, or something like that. The article was interesting because it helps break the stereotype that video games are all bad, which they aren't.

zodiac66

Diabloii.Net Member
I have always said they were good. Liam enhanced his reading skills by playing. He would get a strategy guide, read it and follow the directions. He could spend hours studying guides. He applied his knowledge to his game. Meh...he is at the top of his class.

He beat HL that way. I thought it was wonderful that he could follow the directions and understand them well enough to beat the game.

He beat HL before me, so in a way, they are not good.

nrabbit

Diabloii.Net Member
of course vidoe games are good. isn't it obvious? :p
i mean a lot of games develope your logic skills.

Rius666

Diabloii.Net Member
Also lets not forget that even the military uses "games" (although they like to call them simulations) to train troops on how to react in certain situations, strategize, etc. Some games out on the market right actually started out as military simulations and underwent a graphical overhaul with very slight changes.

Chynobi

Diabloii.Net Member
Problem is with most of the "Video games are bad" storys are the press pick up on games like Postal 2 and other games as such. The press then make out that games are all as bad for anyone and shouldnt be played by anyone under any circumstances. Although, granted it is a problem that 13-14 year old people are able to access 18+ video games through there parents, which could be down to ill education about content.

People need to open there eyes beyond games like this and see into the true gaming market, there is a lot of diversity out there and a lot of it can be educational as well as benifitial.

Necrolestes

Diabloii.Net Member
Let the left hand know what the left eye is doing.

Thanks to my years of gaming, my hand-eye coordination is so good that I can perform laparoscopic surgery in my sleep (of course, that would be a bad idea, but I could if I needed to). I owe it all to video games (and lots of training too, I suppose).

Luckymofo

Diabloii.Net Member
Necrolestes said:
Thanks to my years of gaming, my hand-eye coordination is so good that I can perform laparoscopic surgery in my sleep (of course, that would be a bad idea, but I could if I needed to). I owe it all to video games (and lots of training too, I suppose).
remind me to wake you up if you start to doze if you were my surgeon...

Necrolestes

Diabloii.Net Member
What do you use for anesthesia? A big mallet? I'm having second thoughts...<bonk!>

Luckymofo said:
remind me to wake you up if you start to doze if you were my surgeon...
You'd be asleep at the time, in all likelihood.

CyberHawk

Diabloii.Net Member
*looksover to see my 5yr old playing D2..

Ya..I guess games...are good?

haha, ya I know what ya mean...I agree games do alot more than sitting there mindlessly watching TV.

Raistlin Majere

Diabloii.Net Member
I owe my hand-eye cordination and typing to bad for society video games. I also owe my insanely fast math skills to that satanic D&D.

Sterotypes are for the ignorant.

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
Now, if memory serves... human beings only use 10% of their minds at any given time.

However, studies have shown that when first learning a new video game, more than that is in use. But that once it becomes second nature, we actually use less.

I found that interesting... and what I'd like to know is how it factors in with those of us who eat, drink, live, sleep and breathe these games... to the point that whenever we're thinking about it, we're not just thinking about how cool this or that is... we're thinking in depth about breakpoints, resistances, life totals, damage totals... those of us who can quote the equations off the top of our heads (IAS / EIAS conversions anyone? How about dex required for block? >.<)... are we still using 10% of our brain when we think about such things? Less? More?

Heh... I only wish there was a study that I could get into for something like this.

nrabbit

Diabloii.Net Member
you know how to test that?
get some food install a toilet infront of the pc and start playing! i can't think of a better way to test this.
seriously now, no i don't think that we use more than 10% when we play counter strike or pacman. it doesn't seem logical to me

CyberHawk

Diabloii.Net Member
Raistlin Majere said:
I owe my hand-eye cordination and typing to bad for society video games. I also owe my insanely fast math skills to that satanic D&D.

I hear ya man.

Tho this forum has help me alot with my typing skills....and esp using the "backspace" button. :thumbsup:

Gaming can be good for the brain, until you turn into a weird insane paranoid anti-social freak who thinks that his wooden spoon collection has 50% ED to undead because its not sharp.

nnndave

Diabloii.Net Member
YES!! videogames are very good for you. Just join any game of everquest 2. Look at everything those guys have achieved! Hot girlfriends, tons of parties to go to, and great job prospects waiting for them after college from the connections they made during thier most important years.

oh wait... actually no... they are just 1337er at math than you... whoopty do.