Video games are good for you.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Video games are good for you.

This is old (the article is dated Aug 2005), but I just saw it in my crappy local newspaper today.

website said:
Surgeon Butch Rosser, directory of minimally invasive surgery at Beth Israel Medical Center in New York, read a reporter’s comments about one of his procedures that referred to him as a “Nintendo surgeonâ€. This started his thinking that perhaps his apparent gift among many of his peers was because he was a gamer.

Rosser set out to see if there was a correlation by using a standardized laparoscopic training exercise called “Top Gun†to test laparoscopic surgeons that had never played a video game and those that were gamers. “The results were really astounding,†he says. “First of all, if you played video game [at any time] in the past, it was found that you were significantly faster and, more importantly, you created fewer errors than people who had no previous video game experience. Then when we looked at whether you were a current video gamer, we found that if you played video games currently, you were over 30 percent better — faster, and created fewer errors — than someone who did not play video games at all.â€

Alan Castel, psychology professor at Washington University of St. Louis, performed another study where people from different groups are given a series of standard visual tests looking for a particular object (e.g. a letter) among a group of other objects on a computer monitor. “Video game players had faster reaction times on the order of 100 milliseconds, which might not sound like a lot but in this domain it’s quite a strong finding,†says Castel. “And you can imagine, when driving, a difference of 100 milliseconds could really help you avoid accidents.â€
Mental improvements from video games

The research showed that gamers used the same search patterns as non-gamer, “but video game players were faster and more efficient when carrying out this search,†says Castel.

“Previous research has shown that video game players have more attentional capacity and can carry out search functions in more efficient manners,†says Castel. “Our research was interested in examining whether there were differences in how video game players and non-video game players search the visual environment, how they carry out visual search. We were interested in whether video game players would carry out visual search in a different way relative to people who don’t play video games.â€

Castel suggests that not only are video games good “practice†for many mental tasks around activities like military flight training and surgery but that they may also be a good tool for rehabilitation of people recovering from brain injuries.
Here.

So screw you, people who told me to get a real life.

ffejrxx

Diabloii.Net Member
video games have been known to increase certain skills (reaction times, hand-eye coordination ect.. ) but may have some harmful side effects

its good to take breaks every once in a while

Cailleach

Banned
But doesent it depends on what kind if game you play aswell?
I really do believe that your rections increase if you have been playing FPS games like "Counter-Strike" and such, but I have a hard time to belive that a game like "Sim City" will increase your reactions. :scratch:

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
I think the idea is that the general mental stimulation of using interactive entertainment is the main thing.

bg1256

Diabloii.Net Member
Maybe the reason my golf game was so bad this summer was because I wasn't playing enough video games...

Lord Nyax

Banned
Probably referring to FPSs, not so much RPGs, Sims, etc. The reaction time improved by holding down a mouse button to spam hammers in D2 probably won't make my reactions any faster. Probably... :scratch: