Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Video Game Violence

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by HappyPants, Mar 5, 2004.

1. HappyPants

HappyPants IncGamers Member

Video Game Violence

I am wondering what you guys/girls think about violence in video games. Do you think the Violence has gone to far in games like GTA 3 and Manhunt, not to mention the realistic look of it.

And what about the effects that they may have on us. Do you think that they desensitize us to the violence and make us more aggressive among with countless other things that some psychologists claim.

And do you think that there should be stricter enforcing on the rating and selling of video games.

Also, if you want to bring up any other issues with video games violence in this thread, feel free to.

I would appreciate it if you would include the following in your post:
    age -
    gender -
    Avg. time spent playing video games a day -

Opinions expressed here may be used in a report that I am writing for school.

Thx,
    HappyPants

2. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

We've never had THIS thread before...!

*punches HappyPants in the throat* Sorry... videogames made me do that.

The whole idea of videogame violence making me violent is stupid. Way to blame your inability to control your aggression on anything but yourself.

21/m/not much because I'm usually working.

3. Chief JB

Chief JB IncGamers Member

I don't have a problem with video game that have violence. It's better that I kill some people in the game than in real life.

17/m/Whenever I'm not here or doing something else.

4. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

Happy pants..I am 37, female and play a few hours a week, sometimes more depending on the game.

I would hope that most people can see the difference between the fantasy of video games and reality. I can, and my son can. I don't let him play the GTA's. I was entertaining buying Manhunt, but I know he would want to try it and I don't think that would be appropriate. I also would like to buy "The Suffering", but I won't.

5. Suicidal Zebra

Suicidal Zebra IncGamers Member

I feel the same about sex and violence in video games as I do about it in movies. Give it a rating, and a parental advisory. Don't sell it to kids based upon the rating, and make the parents aware that these things contain violence.

Beyond that, it is out of the gov's hands pretty much.

21/m/ not much, too much Uni coursework.

*sigh*

6. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

I enjoy violent games! Nothing beats mindlessly sending digital citizens of the video game world to the Museum of the Permanently Still.

I think like any questionable activity, they should only be enjoyed RESPONSIBLY. I support the rating system but am disappointed that it is rarely enforced the way R-rated movies are at the rental counter. I think they can influence weaker-minded people into doing violence to others, but they don't cause it. There are so many other factors, each with their own influence, that pegging it on a video game exclusively amounts to a witch-hunt.

I am 26, male, and enjoy violent games daily but have yet to kill a living person, or myself.

7. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

For the second time this week. . .

Voice: KILL KILL KILL!!!
    Billy: Satan is that you?
    Voice: No, it'sa me aMario!

That will never happen! No on has ever gone out to jump on peoples heads to steal the coins that will undoubtly pop out of their butt.

"Video games don't effect kids. IF video games had effected me as a kid I would be sitting in a dark room listening to repetitive techno music trying to find my way out of a neon maze all the while popping pills." -???

Dammit I went to all the trouble to look that up and didn't remember to get the name! Oh well it was the owner of Nintindo at one point.

15/m/few hours a week

8. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

I don´t think it´s a problem.

I don´t know if I´d let my kids play games vith extreme and realistic violence unless they were mature enough to handle it, but the same goes for music and even literature and art. I wouldn´t expose my kid to Baudelaire or Dix at the age of seven either.

I don´t think violence in games is a problem for most people. It might set off the nuts, but those people are going to snap sooner or later no matter what. Anything might push those people over the edge, and theres more than enough crap out there to make people do what they shouldn´t do. As long as we allow violence in movies, books, music, news shows, papers, art, TV et cetera, I don´t think banning violent content of games is going to make a big difference.

People have been murdering each other since we became people... and probably before that. I don´t think it´s fair to blame it on violence in games. If someone shows me a study that shows that violent crimes are on the rise in societies where a lot of people play violent games I´ll give the theory a chance... right now this is just the latest moral panic thingy.

9. NightShade

NightShade IncGamers Member

Video games don't effect us.....look at pac man. I mean if they did all through the 80's people would have been sitting in dark rooms looking for pills and listening to repetative music and lights....

O wait.

10. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

19/M/my closet

Video games make me want to kill people because its funny. Last night I jumped on some guys head in the cafe and took his money. Then I jumped and bumped my head on a block floating in the air and it grew a mushroom. Then I touched the mushroom and I grew to be really big. And then a cop came and I shouted, "hadoken!!" and smoked him with a fireball. When he finally died, I gained 40,000 exp and lvled up. The best part about last night was that the big bad boss cop dropped a WF.

Ok, seriously ... the games don't make me feel any more violent. Playing computer games (no matter how violent) is a way for me to relax. It's called chilling out.

11. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

there are games that require a certain amount of maturity to play. Real young kids may not fully associate cause and effect and they could possibly be influenced by violent video games. that said, parents are the ones that should make that decission, not govt. Parents have the right to say what does and doesn't happen under their roof no matter what the kids age is. but that is a different rant. Oh, and most kids can handle violent games just fine.

EDIT: 22 Male and 0-5 hours a day depending on boredom, time available and what my friends are doing.

12. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

that better stand for wacko flexure because I KNOW you ain't beggin for the trout.

13. Choogy

Choogy IncGamers Member

I think it is the news that truly desensetizes us...videogames are just a small part of the community as a whole. Constant news barrages based on what is the most sensational includes violence more often than not.

Some video games, noticeably GTA3 and Manhunt, do go to extremes, but what about all the other videogames that include killing people...I believe it's the parents responsibilty to control their children's behavior, and control the influx of gaming material as well. Parents, DO YOUR HOMEWORK on the games...try it yourself.

And violent games aren't bad unless those who play it do not truly distinguish the difference between a game and reality. I played Doom and Quake and D1 for quite a while when I was younger and I've turned out fine so far...It really matters who is playing and the maturity of the player.

18/m/an hour a day or so

14. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

Forgot...

Male, 23 years old, don´t play a lot right now... maybe one half to one hour per day on average.

15. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

Pfft! I didn't even think along that tangent until you brought it up. Everyone knows that a WF is a Waseda Flute.

16. Andy225

Andy225 IncGamers Member

I think it is ridiculous that I go into West Coast Video and they do not let me rent M rated games. I've been playing games like Diablo one which is M, I believe; since I was a kid 1996. The rating system is good, but really it should be up to your parents. Everyone blames their shootings and this and that on video game violence, I think it is ********. Just because I see blood gore/violence/ etc. in video games doesn't mean i'm gonna be like GTA3 and go out on the road with a shotgun and shoot someone. Video games are made to let your anger out in the video game world. Without video games i'd say that there would be more violence. OH **** THAT GUY JUST SHOT THAT GUY ON HALO!!!! DAMN I'M GONNA WALK INTO SCHOOL AND TRY THAT!!! ... its just ridiculous, people should be able to distinguish between real life and when they are playing a video game... RATING SYSTEM SUCKS LET ME RENT THE DAMN VIDEO GAME WITHOUT AN ADULT!

by the way i'm 16...
    male
    I have been playing computer games since diablo 1 when it first came out on the internet, as well as console gaming since I was 3 on Regular nintendo...
    I spend at least an hour almost every day on gaming. Average 15 hours a week...

17. Squeezle

Squeezle IncGamers Member

I've seen way worse in movies, so no.

No. I'm violent/aggressive because of things that make me mad. Like all the jerks and injustice that go on in the world. Why should I care about what happens to an 8-bit/16-bit/32-bit/etc.-bit digitally-created character??

I don't think that teenagers and kids should be able to rent "Mature" rated games, just as I don't think they should be able to get "R" rated games. Younger people are more inclined to imitate what they see on television or in a video game. It's not making them more violent, I think, but they might think it's "cool" to drop kick their friend like Scorpion or HHH or whoever.

But if the parents think that their child is mature enough to handle the content in a video game, then they should be allowed to let their child play it. They'll just be held accountable for whatever their child does.

Parents: Stop blaming McDonalds for making your kid fat. Stop blaming music for making your kid aggressive. Stop blaming video games and television and everything else for your inept parenting abilities.

age - 15 (16 next month though)
    gender - Male
    Avg. time spent playing video games a day - Two hours

No problem. :)

18. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

Andy225, you think thats bad? When I was 35, I was carded for an M game at Target. I didn't have my purse with me, and they wouldn't sell me the game. The game BTW..was the game that shall not be mentioned.

19. HappyPants

HappyPants IncGamers Member

http://www.apa.org/releases/videogames.html
    "One study reveals that young men who are habitually aggressive may be especially vulnerable to the aggression-enhancing effects of repeated exposure to violent games," said psychologists Craig A. Anderson, Ph.D., and Karen E. Dill, Ph.D. "The other study reveals that even a brief exposure to violent video games can temporarily increase aggressive behaviour in all types of participants."

"Violent video games provide a forum for learning and practicing aggressive solutions to conflict situations," said Dr. Anderson. "In the short run, playing a violent video game appears to affect aggression by priming aggressive thoughts. Longer-term effects are likely to be longer lasting as well, as the player learns and practices new aggression-related scripts that can become more and more accessible for use when real-life conflict situations arise."

http://mentalhealth.about.com/cs/familyresources/a/vidgameviolence.htm
    "Research published in 2000 demonstrates that playing violent video games can increase a person's aggressive thoughts, feelings, and behaviour."

http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20040218.wxvideo0218/BNStory/Technology/
    "Violent video games have a much more damaging effect on children than parents would like to believe, leading them to perform poorly in school, argue with teachers, condone aggression and get into physical fights with their peers, according to a series of new studies."

It seems that the professionals tend to believe that there is a correlation between video games and aggressive thoughts and behaviour, but you, the gamer believe otherwise.

I personally believe there is a link between them, but not as significant as some psychologists would lead us to believe. I know the difference between a video game and reality, but there is still some effect on me. I am definitely desensitized by violence that I see in video games and on TV. When September 11th happened, it was almost exciting to me, because I was removed from the actual event, and it seemed more like a movie the something that actually happened.

I do not very often outwardly express aggression to other people, but the thoughts are there. Video games can be very frustrating, which in my opinion could be a form of aggression or aggressive thoughts.

At the very least there is a link between violent video games and aggressive thoughts or actions as there is a link between eating food and gaining weight. Just because you eat food doesn't mean you will gain weight, because there are other factors at play, just as there are other factors at play in video games and violence.

20. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

Video games themselves don't make me wanna kill people its the ****tards that play the video games and act like asses that make me wanna kill.

16/m/couple hours a week.