Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Video game graphics, when will it be maxed out?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Luckymofo, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Luckymofo

Luckymofo IncGamers Member

Video game graphics, when will it be maxed out?

I usually don't like making serious posts, but since this is about vid games, I'll make an excepion.

Video game graphics have come a long way from the days of single digit pong to almost realistic graphics of Crysis or some such, in just 30 or 40 some odd years.

In another 40 years, will we see ourselves IN the game interacting with realistic NPCs? I guess this would be virtual reality, similar to .hack sign's
    "The World."

I ask this question because many people like/want better graphics in games, but do you think the graphics limit will be reached so that the standard graphics will be like realistic?

2. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Re: Video game graphics, when will it be maxed out?

What do you mean by graphics? Images? Animations? Pop-in/haze?

Animations have a long way to go still. And I think graphics do too. Especially when it comes to the small details. I think there is much room for improvement in facial details/movements, and in clothing movements. And walking/running still doesn't look super realistic yet.

3. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Ray Tracing will help, but it is not the most efficient thing for all things like Intel seems to think.

I don't think we will hit absolute realism for a long long time, we haven't hit the creepy cliff yet so I'm betting it'll be a while. Movement is a big part of it, not just how many polygons you can squirt out. Besides monitors aren't real time, they are static images that trick the brain, it'll never be completely realistic on a monitor. Same thing with resolution, it'll never be able to be as fine as in real life, pixels just aren't that small.

4. Ykkosbonus

Ykkosbonus IncGamers Member

But do we want living "movie" games? I for one like that line between reality and fantasy. I play to experience something not-possible, but if games go photo-realistic, it loses it's appeal for me. It will seem like it it possible, which is I dont care to much. I need visual separation and in plot too ofc. Though photo-realistic games would be awesomely cool, but a bit shallowy way for me :)

5. Luckymofo

I guess I meant images like FF7's blocky characters vs FF10's less blocky characters; and their environments. However, animations are a very close second.

I'm just wondering how far video game technology will get in our lifetime so we can enjoy them :)

I mean I liked Pong, but it only gets so much of my attention compared to modern games of this decade.

6. zbouaerg

zbouaerg IncGamers Member

If you just follow the "graphics progression curve" since video games first appeared, i think we 'll get to see almost fully realistic games in our lifespans (although we might have alzheimer by then).
    But, on the other hand, gameplay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> graphics

ougk

7. Luckymofo

I know gameplay is very important, but it's also random for all games. Good graphic games may or may not have good gameplay, bad graphic games also may or may not have have good gameplay no matter what decade we live in.

Graphics can only get better with better technology and time. That's why I asked about graphics.

8. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Maybe some day it will be trivial enough to make any effect you want that we can finally get started on good AI.

*sigh*

I heard a developer say something like "Once we can create games where the people look just like real life, won't all games look the same?" There will always be room for unrealism, of course. I suppose that will become the focus before we reach photorealism.

9. NightShade

NightShade IncGamers Member

Fluid animations, backgrounds and atmosphere > outright graphic muscle in my opinion. I loved the animations/etc on tf2 because they were well done and well polished despite the fact that Buzz Lightyear could be around any given corner.

10. Mcwhopper

Mcwhopper IncGamers Member

There maximum graphic wise will be obtained the second of Februari 2011.

Really it will.

edit: A little it more on topic : There is no telling when VR will become an accesible and affordable thing. Let alone the moment when VR will equal reality in such a way that someone couldn't tell the difference. If you asked people in 1950 when they thought the moon would be reached they would think youre nuts when you say it was done in the sixties.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  11. Johnny

Johnny Banned

When it reaches 1 polygon per skin cell.

But then no computer could handle that bcause you it would ironicly have to be bigger than a full grown human to store the data for one polygon per cell.

12. Mcwhopper

There is no telling what the size of computers will be. Remember that before the micro chip PCs were the size of entire rooms. For all we know scientists might be working on a medium that can store multiple terrabytes and is only the size of a button.

13. Johnny

Johnny Banned

I'm not talking about that it will be so hard to do that we will need gaint computers for the power.

Every peice of software on a computer needs to be represented by a peice of hardware storage. Like the scratches on a Vinyl disc.

And if you got to a point where a 3d model would be designed down into each seperate cell then the storage drive would need physical space equal or bigger than a human cell for each cell that they where to make a 3d model out of in order to build the full human 3d model. And so the model would be reundant because you would have to physicaly build a human just to store the human 3d model.

You cant store an elephant in a phone booth no matter how advanced the phone both is.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  14. AluminumKnight

AluminumKnight IncGamers Member

This is an interesting question because I read an article in a magazine (can't remember which, can't even remember if it was a gaming or technology magazine) about this very question. They brought up a lot of things that weren't very good yet, like fire animation. Next time you play a game with a campfire or anything burning, really, take a look at it. It probably won't look like a real fire. There were a few more things the article brought up, but I can't remember (hmmm, gonna have to try and find this thing now).

Another thing they talked about in that article was, in fact, modeling people, especially the face. I'm glad someone brought up the "creepiness cliff," because that's exactly the issue right now. In fact, graphics nowadays have the capability to jump right off that cliff (and the article showed an example, and it was actually pretty creepy), so games that are coming out are subtly messing with facial features to make them slightly unrealistic so they aren't too creepy.

15. Mcwhopper

This is not entirely true. All data concerning images is stored in a matrix. By using matrix algebra (eigen values eigen vectors) it's possible to store pictures extremely effectively. Doing this means that it's not neccesary to have a pc the size of a human to fit the entire picture of a human. Lets not forget that the only thing that needs to be stored is a visual of the outside of said human and only to the level that human eyes can discern!

Also what you implying is true, there is still a need for a physical switch for each o and 1 or on and off. But nano technique is still in it's baby fase, the on/off switches can soon be place on a monecule level (perhaps :wink2:).

16. Johnny

Johnny Banned

But that's not the question. The question is how far will it go before it's maxed out and we will deffinantly need the inside of the human too because the last thing I want to see when I carve a human in half on a first person shooter is him bleeding tetris blocks followed by intrails looking like they where from final fantasy 7.

And it's a 3d model not just a skin picture. Every cell needs to be represented by a "waypoint" followed by lines between them. That's how all 3d models are built up and the very reason that it's so get round items in 3d.
    Not to mentoion that when you want to play the game it all has to go to the ram which makes the computer size having to be twice as big.

17. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Common PCs already have memory chips which can store 1 gigabit on an area of one cm². When assuming that a human cell has a length of 2 micrometers, it covers an area of 0.00000004cm², i.e. we can already already store 40 bits on that area.

You might not get the elephant into a phone booth, but you can get in 1000 books with all we need to know about making a model of one.

18. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Well, there is probably a finite limit on computing power. The question then becomes whether we can make something sufficiently realistic with that amount of power.

Graphics have already slowed somewhat, I mean 2003-2008 isn't exactly 1993-1998. But that could be a local effect.

It doesn't take that much to fool the human eye though. Especially if everything is in motion.

19. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

I think Johnny means "subatomic particle", not "cell". Cells have, what, 100 billion atoms in them? Each atom could theoretically be used to number crunch.

20. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I don't think anyone's ever going to complain about the enemy soldiers' mitochondria being low-res.