Video editing software

ragnar_ii

Diabloii.Net Member
Video editing software

I have a short video I would like to edit. The video is in .avi format. What I would like to do is, take a section of the video (such as the bottom right quarter of the video) and enlarge it and play it on top of the video itself. So I would kind of have a picture in picture thing going, but the inset movie is just an enlarged portion of the original video.

I don't know if thats clear enough, but does anybody know what software can do this. Preferably a free download, if possible.

Tanooki

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Video editing software

I'm pretty certain the sort of video editing you're talking about is going to cost money.

On a side note, I've yet to come across *at least for the mac* an editor that will import an avi container.

ragnar_ii

Diabloii.Net Member

I just found out that I can take 2 separate videos. One zoomed in and one not. However, I still need to resize one and place it in the other.

Sokar Rostau

Diabloii.Net Member

What you're talking about is compositing, not editing. I'd give some names, but I doubt you want to fork out $5000 for them... There is one that I can think of that you should be able to easily get a demo of, but the name escapes me. Add "compositing" into a Google search and you should find something.

Doesn't FinalCut Pro import .avi?

stephan

Diabloii.Net Member

Avisynth can do this with the overlay function. It's free and .avs scripts can be opened by all relevant encoders.

I'm pretty certain the sort of video editing you're talking about is going to cost money.

On a side note, I've yet to come across *at least for the mac* an editor that will import an avi container.
Have you tried the default, iMovie HD, or Final Cut, or anything else like that? I use iMovie for the more basic stuff and it works with the avi's from my camera just fine.

OP, try searching around www.versiontracker.com it is a good source for free programs.

EDIT: For iMovie you need to have a plugin for QuickTime to play it, for Final Cut it should work out of the box AFAIK.

ragnar_ii

Diabloii.Net Member

Avisynth can do this with the overlay function. It's free and .avs scripts can be opened by all relevant encoders.
Thanks, I'm using this and its working great. At least it is now that I found out you can just throw a crop in the overlay function.

stephan

Diabloii.Net Member

It's not required to do the crop within the overlay function, but I suppose it's possible yes.

ragnar_ii

Diabloii.Net Member

Is there an export function? I cant seem to find one on the help website. I want to make the movie as an independent avi file. Its not very crucial, but it would be nice.

stephan

Diabloii.Net Member

No it doesn't really have an export function. The scripts can be opened by software that can compress though. Avisynth is 'just' a frameserver.

You can open the file in VirtualDub and compress with DivX/XviD/whatever you like and save to avi. It can compress the audio too if you want, but with a little extra effort it's possible to keep the original audio as well (if it is compressed already).

Thyiad

Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

I use virtualdub to edit Fraps stuff.

A friend of mine uses Sony Vegas 6 Platinum. He does various stuff including Editing clips together, text effects, pan/crop, green-screen, picture-in-picture and a shed load of other stuff. The cheap version has some limits. The professional doesn't.

A video that he has done is here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=1qkv_Q-Gir4
It should give you an idea of what sort of thing it can do.