Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Video card purchase problems

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Neck Romancer, May 4, 2008.

1. Neck Romancer

Neck Romancer IncGamers Member

Video card purchase problems

Ok i just bought an ASUS EN8500GT Silent Magic video card. I took my computer in to the store and asked SPECIFICALLY if it would be compatible with my computer, he said yes. He opened it and had a look inside at the motherboard. I took it home and it doesnt fit any into any of my motherboard slots, because i think i have PCI (non-express) and AGP slots ... :rolleyes:.
    Is not possible to 'add' a PCIe slot to a motherboard is it? I think I should be able to get a refund, because i specifically tried to prevent this from happenign.

&+#%&$ Harvey Norman!! i reckon i got my comp 2005 and they were too dodgy to give me PCI express!

Does anyone know of any video cards that have 2.0 pixel shader support that fit into non PCI express ports that are at least 128mb ( which is just enough for Hellgate London) ?

*Sigh* by the rate of things looks like ill never be able to play Hellgate :cry:. I already had to buy 1gb of ram as well power supply after my other blew a day after the ram was put in.

2. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Re: Video card purchase problems

No offence or anything, but when you said the guy in the store didn't know what he was talking about and then the words "Harvey Norman" I started laughing my *** off.

Don't think they had PCIe back in 05 (dim memory though, could be wrong). I'm running on a board with only AGP, I'm using an Radeon 9600XT, I think you can get newer cards than that that are AGP as well. But be careful, there's not just AGP there's AGP 2x, 4x and 8x as I recall (learned that way back when I tried to upgrade my previous computer's video card...) and they aren't forwards compatible. Given that you have both PCI and AGP slots on your board your motherboard is fairly old so you may need to figure out which kind of AGP you have. I think that they changed the cards physically, you might be able to tell just by looking at where the divider thingy is in the port and how many of them there are.

But the cards you're going to have to look for are pretty outdated, apart from eBay or something I don't know where you could get them. I think there are a few computer refurbishers around, at least here in Melbourne I've seen one or two. Which state are you in? You could always ask computer stores (just yesterday I asked my local store if they had any DDR-1 RAM and to my surprise they had some chips actually in stock), you never know but it seems a little unlikely they'd still sell them at this point.

3. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

AFAIK there was no PCI express in 2005. There are 128+ MB cards for AGP. I have one, for example (GeForce A7600 GT with 256 MB). I don't know anything about that pixel shader thingie, but Google will probably help you at that.

Anyway, IMO it should be no problem to get a different gfx card as a replacement if you bought the card in a store, Getting a refund might be a tougher issue (Ferengi rule #1: If you have the money, you don't give it back). I think one of the advantages of stores is that you will have less problems if something screwed up after you paid, in particular if it's their fault. If you are asking for a replacement the right way (i.e. politely and without getting angry, issuing threats or sarcastic comments), chances should be rather good.

BTW, do you have witnesses for the seller saying that the card will fit into your computer ? Has he already denied that he gave that promise ?

4. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

id agree with Krischan, 7600gt oc is the best card available for agp, the agp port and the rest of your system will be slowing down the card

esp if you find the one with over 600+gpu/1000+ram iirc
    the normal one is 580/800

most stores will take returns/exchanges on hardware, as long as your withing 30 days and have the reciept

5. Neck Romancer

Neck Romancer IncGamers Member

Thanks for the replies.
    Yes Harvey Norman is a joke, I got the GFX card from A and R though. Im in Adelaide btw. Ive asked at a place about a new card, and he mentioned that PCI vid cards are pretty much phased out/unavailable unless 2nd hand. And to make sure i had a PCIe slot. But yeah i though the people there would know. They had a small range of Geforce 8 series cards, all PCI express no doubt as series 7 ones are PCIe as well. Which rules out me exchanging it for a different one.

Is it better to get a card for the agp port or the pci standard? Ill probably have to hit ebay.

6. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

agp is up to 8x faster than pci
    depends on your mobo and the card

7. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I'm sorry to hear that.

I think you'll have better luck all round getting an AGP card.

8. Hatsepsut

Hatsepsut Banned

Hmm Idk I ran a 6800 GT (agp) until a few months back when I upgraded and it met my needs nicely, I haven't checked but my guess would be that is a better card than the 7600

9. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

6800gt has a slower core clock ~350
    but it has the faster memory clock ~1000mhz, and 16 PixelPipelines really speeds things up

7600gs has a quicker core clock 400
    but slower memory 800+ and 12 PixelPipelines

your 6800 should be a little better

the upgrade should have been to the 7600gt to get any noticable preformance gain

10. Hatsepsut

Hatsepsut Banned

Yeah well I'm not up to date enough on hw atm to spam technical details @ you all. As for my upgrade if that's what you mean I ditched the old agp slot mb.

11. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

6800 GT was pretty much the cream of the crop for it's price/performance time. I had one, and it was fantastic.