Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Video Card Fried After ~2 months?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Soulstones, May 28, 2008.

1. Soulstones

Soulstones IncGamers Member

Video Card Fried After ~2 months?

So when i try to play the high demanding graphics games on my comp it runs smooth for about 2 minutes then gets really choppy and stays that way.

Other stuff seems to be working fine, normal stuff on comp seems to be functioning at normal speeds and video files play normally.

Any ideas on what might be the cause of this problem? My first inclination is to open up the tower and take out and put back in the card...but i wanna see what you guys have to say about it.

2. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Re: Video Card Fried After ~2 months?

90 day warranty right?
    Run Performance Monitoring (PERFMON) and look to see what else might be eating up performance on CPU and Memory, it nothing else shows it's a bad card.

3. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

check the temps, if its really hot 60º+c(140ºf) you might have cooked the card

also try updating drivers and get the latest directx ver

4. Soulstones

where do i run PERFMON and check the temp?

i think im still in warranty range - so i shuld be able to get it replaced

also - cooking it may have been a possibility - i left a game on (minimized not doing anything) this afternoon and it was hot as hell in my room today (3rd floor - no AC) .... would it just get burnt out like that? i think I have a pretty good cooling system. its the one that Kaz(i think thats his name - local comp expert around these parts what from i understand) recommended I put together back in December.
    Is there anything i can do to see if this "burning" did occur for certain? ... I dont want to have to go out and buy another card?

also do u think opening the case and taking out the video card might accomplish anything?

5. Holysinner

Holysinner IncGamers Member

If you have an ATI card/GPU (Radeon, for example), you can see the temperature in the Catalyst Control Center, Advanced, ATI Overdrive.

For an nvidia chip, nVIDIA nTune (or the older System Utilities) will display the temperature. I don't know if this utility is installed by default with the driver, on the driver CD, or if you will have to download it (I don't have an nvidia card ATM).

There are other utilities for either card type, but the above may be most readily available, ie. already installed on your system.

When BobCox2 referred to PERFMON (Winkey+R, type perfmon in the Run box, hit Enter), I don't think he was implying to use it to monitor GPU temperature - that's not a default object/counter (though it could conceivably added by a driver). He was suggesting it to see if something was heavily utilizing system resources even when the system was apparently idle. I think looking at GPU temp first would be prudent.

If the GPU temperature is excessive, you could check to see if the video card fan is no longer spinning (ought to shut down the system, open the cover, then restart). If so, you could try applying oil, or replacing the fan. I did this with an earlier card when the fan only worked intermittently, but I didn't check the temp often enough and eventually it fried. When I took the card out, I could see several capacitors had erupted.

The symptoms you describe do sound like a heat issue, which isn't likely to be fixed by reseating the card, but that's never a bad idea.

6. ragnar_ii

ragnar_ii IncGamers Member

60C is hardly really hot for todays standards. I bought my card over 2 years ago, and sure I try to keep it under 70C under load, but there are times when it reaches the 80C mark, and is still 100% operational.

Soulstones, I'm not saying dont check the temps. That is a common problem. I just dont think you have to be worried if you card reaches 60C, unless its only idling, then you have a major problem.

In my limited experience of building and overclocking, I have never fried a card, so I can't tell you what to look for in a burnt card.

7. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Smoke is a bad sign.

8. Holysinner

Holysinner IncGamers Member

Yup, it's really hard to catch it all and stuff it back in.

9. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

mine idles at 52c, afte running 3dmark for 1 hr straight it was under 60c
    auto shutdown is at 125c (257f), that seems extremely high to me

the temp is is in the nvidia control panel under 3d settings, performance, monitor temp levels

dust can be bad too, but mainly lowers the cooling ability of your heatsinks

10. Soulstones

so i found the problem

i opened the box and took the card out for inspection, seemed that the plastic peice in the middle of the fan had melted off / lost stickyness or whatever and was blocking the fan from spinning

i ran the ntune test before i found this and as soon as i switched into a game the temp went to 110C , anyway its around 80C (with game running- is this too high?) now and running smooth (i pushed the plastic thingy back on)
    Do you guys think it would be a bad thing to remove this plastic thing completely? ...to avoid this happening again? or do u think this plastic thing serves a purpose?

11. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

what video card do you have?
    what does the heatsink/fan look like on the card?

if its a ati/nvidia sticker, remove it, if its part of the fan try to glue it back on

12. Soulstones

yea its just a little sticker thing - it looked like it wouldnt be a problem taking it off

13. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I'm surprised it continued to run if it was having heat issues, but I guess it's just a sister card.