Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Viable Weapon for a Smiter?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Soulstones, May 22, 2005.

1. Soulstones

Soulstones IncGamers Member

Viable Weapon for a Smiter?

6 Sockted zerker axe

4x ber runes for crushing blow (Will this only work with the weapon? more importantly...will it help smite)

then either a shael + resist jewel(or something) or 2x resist/ias jewels

Does crushing blow double the damage?

Could this weapon be better than any runeword'd weapon for a smiter?

Edit: now that i think about it more , a phase blade would probably be better, that way I could use 5x bers for 100% crushing, and only need 5 ias for 6fps smite, id use a resist/ias jewel in 6th socketed
    Does range make that much of a difference? phase is 2 and zerker is 3, does that even affect smite?

2. Armageddons

Armageddons IncGamers Member

1. Crushing Blows works for Smite too, but Crushing Blow for Ranged/Spells wont

2. Grief and Phoenix runewords are among the best Smiter's item choices.

3. Weapon Range wont affect Smite range, but weapon speed will affect Smite's speed

3. Soulstones

GRief and Phoenix , wth are those?

they arent listed on diabloii.net

I havent played in awhile so i dont know if there are new runewords out.

Can u give me a link to an updated list?

4. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 IncGamers Member

Couple corrections to make here

1. Crushing actually does work with ranged attacks but at limited effectiveness. It's only 1/8 of a normal monster's HP versus 1/4 for a melee weapon.

3. Weapon range definitely does affect Smite's range, this is the reason Berserker Axes are popular for Grief, they have the max range for a one handed weapon (3).

Runewords both old and new

5. Soulstones

ah, i found they are s1 ladder runes .......... phoneix and grief dont seem like good smiter weapons

6. Soulstones

Crushing blow only adds 1/4 damage

if thats true then this weapon dosent seem very good to use...

7. rare

rare IncGamers Member

Yes it could work, and it has been done plenty.

In .09 people used to have customized zerks and phases with ber/ums/15ias jewels. It depends on what else you wear, and vs who you're going against.

Range DOES matter. If you use a zerker axe, you lose speed but gain range. If you use a phase blade, you gain speed but lose range. Again, it depends on what youre going against and what gear you have.

Grief is the best smiter weapon because of the bugged damage (+400 dmg or w/e mod it is). There's nothing better than it; take your pick of putting it on a phase for speed, or a zerker for range (and hope that you get the max ias on your grief)

With phoenix i heard you need a bunch of dex to get max block with it. if you dont get max block someone can just chargelock you to death and your massive smite damage will do you no good. I wouldn't use it. Upd Hoz is better than anything. Unless you find a good setup with phoenix, go for it.

Although you didnt specify if this was a PVP smiter, or a pvm smiter...most of it still applies. For pvm you can rarely see the range difference, so i wouldn't bother with range if you're doing PVM. in PVP it's vital for you to have range 3, or really know what you're doing with range 2.

8. Soulstones

Does crushing only add 1/4?

for grief does that add 400 damage on top of 2xxx smite damage?

9. TopHatCat64

The reason grief does such a huge amount of damage is that that 400 damage is added to the BASE shield damage then modified from Fanat.

It's like the +15-20 damage that War travs adds. That alone adds about 150 avg damage to my bowazon so you can imagine how much grief adds to a smiter's damage.

Also if you followed the link I put in my previous post you'll note CB only does 1/10 to a player.

10. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

If you have 4 Ber runes to burn, you'd be doing yourself and poorer players everywhere a disservice by putting them on a plain axe just to get CB. There are plenty of excellent off weapon items that add Crushing Blow. 3 things to think about and I don't know if they all transfer from Smite

Crushing Blow - Takes a set percentage off of a target's remaining health so it reduces in effectiveness as a target's health is reduced but will do the most damage to bosses and dueller's with obscene amounts of HP right off the bat.

Deadly Strike - % chance to double damage. This one works great all the time. You can get it close to 100 with the right weapons and other items.

Open Wounds - Bleeds off HP from target for a set period of time. It hurts really bad at higher levels. I'm not a melee dueller so don't know for sure but I've heard a lot of whirlybarb Barb scuttlebutt suggesting this is the best special attack to be able to hit on a regular basis. A smiter might prefer Deadly Strike since the whole point is to get 1-hit kills.

Off weapon sources of all three of these special attack effects are available. This list isn't updated for the new runewords but you can check for items with these and many other mods here. I believe this link is kosher with dii.net. Apologies if it's not.

http://www.marduke.com/bnet/d2/tzon/bonus.html

11. Soulstones

deadly strike does dbl damage with smite?

thats Lo rune .....i think

what if I put 5 of those in a weapon, would that work better than grief? or no? how does fanta factor in?

So grief or deadly strike phase?

12. bluedragoon

bluedragoon IncGamers Member

deadly strike doubles the dmg, u get that from lo. is that viable btw ? 5 lo's and a shael or resist jewel ?

13. Soulstones

i beat you by less than a minute to that question :D :p

14. TopHatCat64

Deadly strike doesn't work with smite.

Crushing blow and open wound do though.

In any case Grief has 20% deadly strike on top of all the great mods it has. So its still a great weapon to charge with if you're using it for pvp.

-

You can reach 6 fpa with 50 IAS using a zerker.

So either you use 20% IAS gloves/Highlords/Cat's eye and a 30%+ IAS Grief or if you're lucky enough to get a 40% IAS grief you can use the 10% IAS Bloodfists.

15. Soulstones

It says here, you need 55ias
    http://www.diabloii.net/characters/paladin/ias-smite.shtml

16. TopHatCat64

That's not up to date. Fanat used to give a flat IAS bonus, now it starts lower and can scale higher once you get past lvl 20.

This Speed Calculator is the one you want to use.

As long as you have at least lvl 27 fanat, 50 IAS is what you'll need for 6 frames on a zerker.

17. lordofthesorcz

lordofthesorcz IncGamers Member

He's right, but IMO why bother with the extra range in PvM ( dracs will save ur butt more times than not and a maras .. + 2 skills pwnz :p also w/ the res ) and in PvP range only matters if u fight those pesky WW barbs with like lances or zerkers that ww away from u ( which is very often ) but u can get close easy , and smite them away cuz of the ITD :p just let them exhaust their mana , charge em, if it doenst hit , it will bring u more than close enuf to rock them w/ smite :p

18. rare

rare IncGamers Member

well seeing as mana potting isnt seen as being a crutch to alleviate a crappy character during dueling, everyone mana pots now. A barb will take quite a while to run out of mana if you just stand there, and if its a good barb he'll beat a smiter. And NEVER charge a barb, he can simply ww away from you, and probably kill you with that one ww as you charge him.

True that you shouldnt bother with range in pvm, but range also helps a little when charging in pvp (but don't charge vs barbs).

19. lordofthesorcz

lordofthesorcz IncGamers Member

ahhh ;P I meant charge then AFTER they have no mana .,... no , never charge a ww'ing barb , more often than less u will get pwnt :p but i know what u mean by mana potting ... in that sense , they mana pot u life tap :p lol.. fair exchange

20. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Hi just curious what your opinions are of these weapons for smiting with the objective of attaining as much cb/ow/ds:

1) 'Kingslayer' pb/warspike/cryptic sword
    2) 'Death' pb/warspike
    3) 'Ber' Stormlash
    4) 'Ber' Asteron's
    5)'Last Wish' pb

Maybe gores+duress/fort+highlords being mainstays? I think grief beats them all but never know hehe