Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Viable untwinked Paladin builds?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by farting bob, Jun 15, 2005.

1. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Viable untwinked Paladin builds?

Hi! dont post much in the pally forum, but now i need a bit of advice. For a SP tourney, i am entering a paladin of some variety, since i dont play as much of them as i would lik, the the rules generally support them. I was wondering what would you folk recommend for a decent build. the key rules are:

• HC
    • Untwinked
    • no MP'ing
    • All items must be magic, no rares, set, crafted, runewords or uniques allowed.
    • Must use a melee attack
    • These skills are not allowed: Blessed Hammer, Holy Bolt, and Fist of the Heavens (except as synergies).
    I was thinking an avenger, with HS and conviction, but how viable are these untwinked without the usual items in HC?
    EDIT: Oh, and which merc would you use as well? HF? defiance? might? The merc must abide by the same item restrictions as i do.
    Thanks for any help, a free beer to anyone who gives any useful advice, but i will have to drink the beer for you. But i can tell you how nice it tasted if you want.

2. [exile]

[exile] IncGamers Member

I vote for a Frost Zealot.

Your magic-item-only idea scares me. :eek:

3. happyfamine

happyfamine IncGamers Member

avenger would be the best choice i think because you are gonna run into bigtime problems with your resists if you don't use rares. at least the avenger will have the resist auras available for when you need them. i currently have an hc untwinked solo players 8 avenger w/ an a3 cold merc finishing up nightmare. things are going pretty well but my equipment is all rares, sets and uniques.

with the item restrictions you will probably want to go with a might merc. you'll kill faster, he'll kill faster and you'll both leech more.

4. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Hmm, i think your right. Really, its a choice between that or a zealot, and zealots need big and hurty things, and i doubt i'll find something that big enough and hurty enough.
    Thanks.

5. nespejsen

nespejsen IncGamers Member

My build would be an avenger, that's for sure. U realy only need high psysical dmg, so imo the coolest :cool:

6. shade449

shade449 IncGamers Member

Btw, what are you lvling your char to?

7. FodderCannoned

FodderCannoned IncGamers Member

i think i am entering a tesladin in that tourny fbob. But the only untwinked character that i have patted to this point is a fanat zealot

8. CC-Godbuster

CC-Godbuster IncGamers Member

Avenger *IS* your best bet. Especially if you have item restrictions. You dont need an uber powerful weapon to make a good Avenger. Plus, if you're worried about IM being cast on you, you can use a low damage wand (preferably something with curse charges like Lifetap or Amp Dam. ;) ) and still do good damage with pure elemental. Avengers with low damage weapons don't have to worry about getting whacked by IM as much as other players. If all else fails and IM kills ya...Go fisting. :D BTW, nice dev art page.

9. RevenantThePaladin

RevenantThePaladin IncGamers Member

I vote for a teslafroster. Some Fools Weapon of Quickness can be bought and it's awesome, no worries about IM. And it's even possible to get that on a scepter with + to holy freeze/shock.

10. [exile]

[exile] IncGamers Member

It's not true that Avengers don't need high-damaging weapons. Their Elemental damage is multiplied over your base physical damage.

Meanwhile, Elemental Zealots can be completely independent of their weapons since the aura adds damage all on its own. RevenantThePaladin's suggestion of a TeslaFroster is a very good idea because you can deal with various immunities.

11. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Wow cool tourney! Is there one with rares only or crafts only too - that sounds interesting hehe. I have a few questions:

1) Are runes (not r/w) and gems allowed in such a tourney?
    2) Is cubing weapons/charms allowed?
    3) Can u use other class skills like lifetap charges from a magical necro wand?

O.T but i would go with a summoner/zookeeper necro as +summon skills spawn a lots with circlets, necro heads, ammys and wands hehe Or maybe a tiger strike-dragon tail assy...with a magical myrimdion boot *cough*