Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Viable Tri-Elementalist Sorcy?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by pharaoh, May 29, 2005.

1. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

Viable Tri-Elementalist Sorcy?

Back in my b.net days, which ended shortly after v1.10 came out, I had a tri-elementalist sorcy. She used Frozen Orb and Hydra as main attacks, with Thunderstorm for enemies immune to both cold and fire (on the assumption that they would most likely be bosses, so the single target nature of T-Storm was not a problem). Anyways, I realize that the current version is a lot different, but does anyone think a three-tree sorcy is still viable?

The reason I'm asking is because the other day I found a Mang-Song's Lesson, and yesterday I found my third or fourth set of Ormus' Robes, and I got to thinking that perhaps with those two items, plus possibly Rainbow Facets, it would be possible to make a Hell-viable tri-elementalist. The only problem might be resists; using the staff and armor won't give any resists, and will preclude the use of a shield.

Anyone have any thoughts on this, or know if it's been pulled off?

Oh, lastly, how does +%damage from items like these factor in with the damage boosting from synergies and (for fire/lightning spells) masteries?

2. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

Viable? Yes. Killing fast? Probably not.

Skillwise I'd probably do the usual 20FO/1CM on the cold spells. Probably firewall/mastery on the fire spells and maybe lightning/mastery/synergy for lightning. Points would be stretched to the limit, though.

3. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

Honestly, what i don't see happening is having serious lightning damage with a small point investment in that tree. Orb with a little cm is cool. Firewall with 10-20 fm would work i guess. But even with all the remaining points bumped into the lightning tree it'd be difficult to reach serious damage.
    Actually the biggest 'danger' of such build is becoming a "frozen orber with points in skills she hardly ever uses, just so she can call herself tri-elementalist".

4. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

Well, for lightning, I'd probably go with max T-Storm and minimal LM (say, no more than 5 hard points, if that). Assuming slvl 25 T-Storm and slvl 10 LM, it would do 645-900 damage (average 772). I know this isn't a lot, but there are three factors to consider. First is it would be a tertiary attack to finish off dual immunes. Second is that the minimum damage is relatively solid, unlike most lightning attacks, so that you don't get 'dud' hits (unless they hit a lightning immune monster, of course). Third is that gear will likely raise this to a much higher level- Mang Song's alone is +5 skills, one of my Ormus' Robes spawned with +3 T-Storm, and both they, and Facets, will boost damage even more. Things like Mara's, Harlequin Crest, and lightning charms might well mean +10 to +15 lightning skills.

As for the other two elements, Orb would likely be one main attack, simply because it's one of the few sorcy spells that works well unsynergized. For fire, I could go with Fire Wall, but that really depends if I have a merc with tanking ability; without such a merc, FW is less effective since monsters tend to move out of it. As a result, I might go with the less-damaging Hydra, because it hits more often, and as such, might amount to more damage over time. Besides, Hydra is considerably more stylish. :)

5. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

6. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

Actually, Max CL and LM does pretty good as a spamming skill between Firewall and FO...

I think though that Tal's set, if you can get it, would be better for you. You get some +% element damage and - enemy res, +skills and resists. Only problem is FCR and serious mana consumption.

7. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

Actually, after finding the armor about a year back, I have the whole thing. I can't bring myself to wear it, though, as it's too damn ugly. I'd be at risk of scraping out my eyes. :)

8. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

You could go FO/FW with a bunch of points into SF...that'd technically still be "tri-elemental" with the added benefit of being able to run areas on /players 8. I think you'd cry real tears if you tried TS on /players 8.

-GG

9. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

Well, of course I'd have Static, since it's a pre-req for T-Storm. With enough +skills, it would have a decent radius.

10. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

Using SF as your so called lightning attack feels like a bit of a copout though.

11. Asmodeous

Asmodeous IncGamers Member

If your a pre v1.10 player, you might remember the old weather girl build which works quite well in v1.10. I think there is a bit of a revival of this build amongst the "ive done every build" kind of players out there.

Basically, the weather girl is thunderstorm, blizzard and meteor.

Thunderstorm, blizzard and meteor = 20 points.
    Lightning and fire mastery = 1, 5 points cold mastery and then balance the remaining skill points into blizzard and meteor synergies. You should be able to get 10 points each which will give you a decent spammer (fireball), a good chilling area spell (blizzard) for meteor targets with a decent thunderstorm plugging away in the back ground.

Should be good!

12. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

Yeah considering almost every other sorc uses static anyway.

Tri-sorcs are definitely viable (ie. solo through hell at levels 2-5)
    Tal's set is good for tri-elementals. Mang-song's+ormus is great too IMO but get resists from charms then.

My Tal's tri-sorc used orb, firewall and TS, pretty standard but I was confortable with it.

There are weather-girls "TS/Blizz/meteor", lady rangers, "CL/hydra/orb" etc

13. Dodgydave

Dodgydave IncGamers Member

I have a lvl ** tri-elementalist who cruised through the game on players 8. I used Orb, Firewall and nova. Orb and firewall were the main killers with nova really only a distraction used to kill large groups of low life monsters.

I had 20 in Orb, FW, FM and Nova. 7 in Lightning Mastery and 1 in all prereqs, Warmth, Teleport and Cold Mastery.

I used Shako, Maras, Mangs, Skin, Magefist, Arachnids, SOJ and a rare ring (20%FCR) and rare boots.

Sockets were fill with resist all jewels and charms gave resists, mana, life and 3 lightning skillers to help out the nova.

She had about 1100 life and 1000 mana.

I don't know here exact damage output but it was more than enough to kill well at players 8.