Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Viable Sorc?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by TheRebel22, Sep 26, 2010.

1. TheRebel22

TheRebel22 Diabloii.Net Member

Viable Sorc?

Is a Frozen Orber still a viable sorc these days? I ask because I have an Ormus 15%+cold & ice bolt, vipermagi, occulus, mara's, soj's, etc. Some decent sorc gear basically, and I've only ever played sorc's. Being as I'll be playing Single player though, if I go orb, do I need to have another attack as well for cold immunes? I'm not sure what I would do. Maybe Nova? IDK. Any advice would be great. I want to make a viable sorc that can run most areas.

2. anthrop

anthrop Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Viable Sorc?

Frozen Orb is great! As for dealing with cold immunes, it's probably a good idea to get a secondary damage skill. Nova works well, as long as you have some faster cast rate gear. Fireball/Meteor is also popular along with frozen orb.

3. jdkerr

jdkerr Diabloii.Net Member

You don't have to have another attack for cold immunes, because you can teleport past them, use your mercenary, etc. However, it will probably be much more fun to work with a secondary attack. Frozen Orb is typically paired with Fireball/Meteor, but Nova will work well with it, too. Either way, you want to hit the 105% FCR breakpoint and load on the +skills.

4. Serdash

Serdash Diabloii.Net Member

5. squall78

squall78 Diabloii.Net Member

I love Frozen Orb. It's a simple shoot and splatter skill which makes enemies easy to deal with. The only problem as the other posters have said is cold immunes. I use a CL/FO myself, it's perfect for viable use.

6. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

The thing that I think is the greatest about FO is that it really only requires 40 points to be effective, less if you have enough gear skills to not max mastery. I never max the synergy as its just not worth the points. that leaves you plenty of points for another good skill. And I don't know if you were thinking that it did...but that ormus is not going to boost FO's synergy by adding points to Ice bolt, only hard points in a synergy will boost it.

From AS:Items that give bonuses to skills and skill levels will not add to Synergy bonuses. For example, an Orb with +3 to Fire Ball, when equipped, does not give any bonus to Fire Bolt. To synergize Fire Bolt, you must place skill points into Fire Ball (or Meteor)

7. TheRebel22

Yeah I just realized that fact about synergies, lol! Squall, how did you allocate your skill points for the CL/Orb sorc? I've never used lightning skills before, and Nova appealed to me because it's a classic, and doesn't require any synergies (and my ormus is +14% lightnign, 10% fire, lol). However, like kestegs pointed out, orb only takes around 40 skill points, so I probably could use something that required synergies to be effective.

Any thoughts on Nova vs. Lightning vs. Chain Lightning?

Thanks.

8. squall78

squall78 Diabloii.Net Member

I screwed up my respec because I use my sorc as a strict LK runner at the moment. However the strategy guide on the CL/FO sorc is useful.

http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Category:Strategy_guidesnews.php?id=562

I really didn't see a need to max CM, just enough to get it to -100%, or even less with +skills. CL will require a good investment to make it hell viable. Never used Nova before but have read that it's another option as well.

9. jdkerr

jdkerr Diabloii.Net Member

If I were playing HC, I would choose Chain Lightning over Nova. Nova requires an up-close-and-personal approach to monsters, whereas Chain Lightning can be used at a distance. Furthermore, Chain Lightning involves max Lightning as a synergy, which is a much better boss killer than Nova for those pesky CIs with high hit points.

10. TheRebel22

Alright, what do you guys think I should do with this now. I'm lvl 59 and my gear is as follows:

Peasant Crown (will be Shako)
    Occulus
    Lidless Wall
    Saracens Chance Ammy (12+ attr, +24res. all)
    2xSOJ
    Magefist
    Tal's Belt
    Natalya's Boots.

I have around 800 mana, decent resists in NM because I traded out mana charms for res sc. Something like upper 65/75/60/40 or so resists. I only have around 500 life though.

My skill investment thus far is:

1 warmth
    1 all prereq's
    1 static
    2 teleport
    1 energy shield

17 Lightning
    2 Chain Lightning
    5 Lightning Mastery

20 Frozen Orb
    6 Cold Mastery

It looks like I might be trading for the full Tal's set and a Spirit Monarch hopefully later today.

My attributes are as follows:

strength: 153
    Dextery: 93 (but boosted with gear some more)
    Vitality: 86
    Energy: 38

I'm real worried about survivability. I'm playing this character as if she is HC. I'm only playing SC because I have to in order to be able to use the items I trade for, but I want to avoid death at all costs. I've started to come close a couple times finishing a3 nm.

Questions: Is full Tal's set a good idea? Where should I put my remaining skill points at and in what order? Should I consider Telekinesis because it is a synergy of ES? What about attributes? I guess the remaining will go into dex/vitality to max block and then as much life as possible. I'll have insight on Merc, so mana won't be a problem (really hasn't been so far.. 1 point in warmth gives me like lvl 13 or so and I never run out unless I'm spamming orb/lightning/teleport.

Any help greatly appreciated!

*EDIT*

OCCY TELEPORT = BAD!!!

[​IMG]

:D

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010