Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Viable Frenzy barb - due to no IM curse...

Discussion in 'Classic' started by EagleEntek, Jul 31, 2010.

1. EagleEntek

EagleEntek IncGamers Member

Viable Frenzy barb - due to no IM curse...

Since the latest patch removed iron maiden, i decided to recreate a frenzy barb idea i had a while back - heres the idea:

Skills:-
    15 frenzy
    15 taunt
    15 double swing
    15 weapon mastery
    (unless ive added it up wrong it comes to 628% dmg)
    (going to lvl 91 leaves 31 pts free)

Stats:-
    Str-200+
    Dex-80
    Vit-200
    Ene-0

Gear:-
    +2 Barb skills knout (times 2)
    +1/+2 Barb skills Leech/res amulet
    res/defense/life armour
    twin leech/res/defense gloves
    life/res/defense hat
    res/defense boots OR gob toes
    res/defense belt OR deaths sash

So thats the idea - i have spare points, im hoping ive worked out the dmg percentage correctly - do you think it will work? Would it survive? Can i leech back enough life to not require battle orders? Im counting on the same principle as a paladin with fanatacism - hit fast and leech quicker.

Where should the rest of the points go? Max out the skills? Add additional skills for defense etc?

2. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

Re: Viable Frenzy barb - due to no IM curse...

Frenzy is a tender build - definitely needs BO, and probably plentiful use of war cry in hell(just theorycraft though), especially if youre going with a tuner build with str stacked. Clegs is a great option too, with the crowd control from the gloves

3. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

If you go for level 20 frenzy, you'll have breakpoints at 10 ias, 24 ias and one at 46 ias.
    To reach those same breakpoints at level 15 frenzy you'd need 14, 29 or 52 ias respectively.
    And since 10 ias can happen on rare gloves, that may be more interesting.

I made one last ladder with 2 battle hammers(40ias) and an even str/vit distribution and a lot of ll, that one actually works in Hell, so long as I'm carefull not to get swarmed.

4. EagleEntek

EagleEntek IncGamers Member

I was hoping id hit the breakpoints with knouts and faster attack speed gloves - not sure yet as im still mf'ing the +2 knouts.

If all else fails ill try a knout on one hand to get the attack speed up (frenzy using the speed of the right hand weapon) and bung a b.hammer on the other hand for damage.

Its going well so far - but ive not got bo yet and ive nearly maxed frenzy - so will see if the dmg caps out in nightmare.

Thats always been the -delete remake- kicker, when you cant max the skill or synergies anymore and your damage has basically stopped at about 400 or so.

I know alot of ppl say no to pts in strength but for the extra damage i may have no choice - im buggered if im using that shout cry thing to reduce defense to 50% its too short ranged!

Did your barb kill things ok in hell with other players in game Warlock ?

5. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

The breakpoints I listed are the knout breakpoints. :)
    If all else fails, you could try imbuing them.

I am using a 193ed knout on my cold pala, the damage is not impressive.
    I've tried other Frenzy barbs in older patches, one with swords, one which was actually a throwing barb mixed with Frenzy, using Harpoons and an older one with battle hammers. Already the older one with battle hammers worked far better then the other one(can't really count the Harpoon barb), while I stated that one minimum required str.
    I think you will need the damage of the battle hammers combined with a vast amount of leech to survive. Since you do not have a shield, you WILL get hit, so you may aswell make sure you leech enough back to compensate for those hits. Hence my half str half life route with stat points. You'll also want to hit as much as possible, so get loads of AR.

My frenzy barb did indeed kill things in Hell with other players in the game.
    Allow me to clarify my definition of a character which 'works', as I have not defined that yet in the above post. :)
    I consider a character to work if it can survive while killing monsters in Hell with up to 7 other players in the game. Also, it should not take more then 30 seconds per monster.

6. fledgeling

fledgeling IncGamers Member

Long time since Ive played classic, but I wonder if 20 mastery 10 taunt wouldnt provide you with more damage (not even counting the hidden chance of double damage from mastery that increases each level)