Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Viable Builds

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Bonifar, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Bonifar

Bonifar IncGamers Member

Viable Builds

I recently abandoned my 76 necro ( 20 SM, 20 RS, 20 PNova ) so I could start over with a fresh build on the ladder... now the sucky thing is that I cannot reuse my equipment since my old necro is not on the ladder so this guy is gonna be an uber noob till I can get akara to cough up some +skills wands.

So barring nice equipment do you think the following would work in Hell :

20 SM
    20 RS
    20 RM
    20 CE

With one point wonders in:

Amplify Damage

Thats all I have so far... I do not want to spend even a single point in revives or golems since with my current build I never even used them. Curses were the same way... I used amplify damage all the time, and I felt bad for spending all the 1 point pre-reqs for lower resistances which I never used. So thats 81 points, and I guess I could get revives or add more curses after I was done but the big question is would this build be effective in hell?

2. chubbypuppy

chubbypuppy IncGamers Member

Very effective

I have a pure skellymancer with about +12? summon skills, and he does great in hell. Very safe too, and tons of skill points left to play with.

I would suggest that you do get decrepify though - it removes 50% physical immunity (vs amp dmg's 100%) but it slows the monsters down 33%. This is normally what I use by default.

I would also suggest you get at least clay golem, golem mastery, and summon resist. Summon resist is the main reason, but clay golem is pretty good to add another target for the monsters, and it slows down its target.

I did get 1 pt into revive (which I dont like either, since revives are dumb and they have a short life), but after you max all the rest of the stuff there's not much to put into, and going into poison/bone just didnt seem to be worth it.

3. Bonifar

Bonifar IncGamers Member

Yah

Thats what I was wanting to hear... the only thing I did not take into account was the summon resists, but that can be added to this build without much hassle.

Hopefully by the time I get to hell I will have at least +6 skills ( thinking rares with +2 wand, +2 trophy, +2 amulet ), but I kinda doubt ill have +12... I still think this will be a good build despite that.

4. Kyo

Kyo IncGamers Member

As Chubby Suggested my advise is that you have at least 1 point in the following ASAP no more and not less and let +skill items beef up the slvl

1 pointers - Clay Golum, Golum Mastery, Summon Resist

whilst your on your way maxing RS and SM in that order (imo)

Might be a good idea to get amp early on to affectively that doubles the damages of your minions in melee.

With decrep and Clay will deal with bosses.

Good Luck it a fun build.

Kyo

P.s forgot to say again pls dun flame this is my my opinion i would max in this order. RS, SM, CE and then mages. but that just me :)

5. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

If going with a warrior / mage / ce build, I agree with KYO that you should definately max out warrior, then mastery, then ce, lastly mage.

You will have a good bit of points left over, and I would strongly recommend getting decrepify (usefull for bosses).

Clay Golem / Golem Mastery / Summon Resistances (if the sole reason for the 2 pts in golem) are also wonderful.

Lastly you should invest in the AI curses. They can all be extremely usefull, but I think that DV is DEFINATELY worth the 1 point investment.

g

p.s.
    As you level, make sure your first point spent is into AMP, second into Warrior, third into Mastery, 4+ into warrior (max).

6. spartacvs

spartacvs IncGamers Member

Here's my guide:

I have tried many necromancer builts: pure summoner, summopoisoner and summoboner. Summoboner is interesting but I found magic spells te be weaks if not synergised. Summopoisoner is very good but you need expensive items to be really effective (death's web wand and bramble runeword
    armor). Right now I play a summoner that rely mainly on skeletons warriors and corpse explosion (CE) as his offensive skills. I like it so much that I decided to write a guide.

This built is strictly for PvM and based on 1.10 patch.

PROS:
    - Little item dependant;
    - powerfull;
    - fun to play;
    - versatile;
    - good to help others with your curses;
    - safe (I hate dying and, with a necro, it's worse because you have to rebuilt your army).

CONS:
    - No real major drawback but see comments below.

COMMENTS:
    - Spells are more spreaded than some other builts (doesn't really matter because only summoning skills need to be improved);
    - still have to raise a army (not as worse as a pure summoner);
    - not very viable without a mercenary so it's a cons or a pro, depending if you like or hate the mercenaries;
    - overall not the fastest killer but still very good;
    - not the best for magic finding but still very good for two reasons: works on almost every situations and little gear dependant so you can use mf items easily.

ABREVIATIONS:
    AD: amplify damage
    CE: corpse explosion
    DV: dim vision
    lvl: level
    merc: mercenary
    pt: point
    skel: skeletons

SKILLS:
    max skel
    max skel mastery
    1 pt up to revive
    1 pt up to summon resist

max CE

1 pt up to lower resist
    max DV

Total: 95 points (lvl 85)

After, if you reach that lvl, I suggest to add one point in the following skills, at your preference:
    clay golem, summon resist, decrepify and attract.
    It is important to put only one pt into AD because it increase it's radius and it overide DV.

STATS:
    strengt: I put 118 points there in case I want tu use marrowalk boots but you can put less (btw, for runewrords, great hauberk armor needs 118 str);
    dexterity: base (right now I put a few pts into it so I can use ali baba);
    vitality: all you can
    energy: base

MERCENARY:
    Early on, I suggest a act2 defensive merc (defiance aura) that will provide more defense for your skels.
    When you reach nightmare, hire a act2 offensive (might) merc and make sure to give him the best defensive equipment (defense, resist, faster hit recovery, life leech, damage reduction, ...) you can afford for him. You only really need him to kill your first monsters for bodies. If he dies, your skel loose the merc might aura and, therefore, a big part of their offensive power so make sure he stay alive.

GAMEPLAY STRATEGY
    Always have a clay golem raised.
    To get bodies, use decrepify so your merc can make the first kills. You can go to act1 or use act5 anya town portal if it's open and raise the bodies on the ground.
    On normal gameplay, cast AD all over the monsters and, when the first body drop, start to cast CE.
    If you need, cast DV on the edges of the screen, then AD where's the fight and then CE.
    Use mages and revives only in open area (they can block your skels). Use revives where there is curses caster (iron maiden is not good for you your merc) or for taugh fight (like council hell).
    For bosses, use clay golem and decrepify. It slow them a lot so they don't kill your minions (and yourself).

DEVELOPMENT STRATEGY
    First, max skel and mastery (one point each other giving priority to skel). Make sure you have AD for Blood Raven).
    Get golem, golem mastery and summn resist when available.
    Put points into curses when available to get decrepify asap.
    When skel and mastery are maxed, max CE and DV giving priority to CE.

For those who are relatively new to the game and want to know what lvl you should do quests, here's a simple guideline: in normal, you should start doing baal runs at lvl 25 or later. Go in nightmare at lvl 35 or later. Baal run in nightmare should be done at lvl 50 or later. Go in hell at level 75-80. To sum it up: take your time.

EQUIPMENT:
    Top mods:
    + all skills, + summoning spells, + spells you use except AD (skel, ...);
    recommanded:
    + mana, mana regeneration, + life or mana after each kill, + life, resist (at least, you should not be in the negative), faster run-walk;
    optionnal:
    + p&b spells, magic find, + life regeneration, + light*, faster cast rate, faster hit recovery, teleport, damage reduction;
    * when you walk, you lead your army, therefore, fast monsters can be over you before you see them and retreat leveing your "bodyguards" dealing with them.

It can be a good idea to use 3 trang set items (more if you wish). Therefore you can use firewall combined with lower resist for monsters with a very high physical immunity or if your army cannot reach them.

You or your merc should not use items that have:
    - Cold skills, because you can't do nothing from chunks of melting ice cubes;
    - curses (eg delirium runeword helm) because it can override your own.
    - slain monster rest in peace, poison explosion, ... You need those bodies.

Q & A
    Q: Why maxing DV?
    A: Many throwers are dangerous and can shoot you from more than a sreen away. So you don't necessary see the monsters that attack you. More points in DV increase it's radius. So the tactic with DV is to cast it on the edge of the screen to affect monsters beyond your line of sight. You move forward, recast DV and so on. Furthermore, DV duration is cut by 1/2 in nightmare and 3/4 in hell and more points in DV also increase it's duration.

Q: Why not maxing mages?
    A: Many says mages are not good but personaly I don't agree with that. Almost all the different builts have one point into revives. With skel mastery already maxed, the 19 points into mages are worth it. Unfortunately, mages, without lower resist are like skel without AD: not as effective. This built really rely on the combination of skel + CE using AD as your offensive curse. AD doesn't help mages at all.

Q: Why maxing CE?
    A: The only offensive skills of this built are skel (with a few revives and mages) and CE. Therefore, it is important to to have both skills at high levels to make sure you have a good killing speed. Furthermore, you are not really tight in term of skills with this built. Many suggest to put points into bone spells instead but I found bone spells to be weak or mana demanding (or both) if not synergized.

Some call this built the blinder (DV). I don't because I only use DV when necessary (many throwers, many strong monsters, revivers or spawners, ghouls, etc.). This is why I called it the summoexploder.

character name on us-east: dux-ducis

spartacvs
    [email protected]

7. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

Don't know about maxing DV.

check out the MANY guides / reference tools for summoners.

guide 1

guide 2

8. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Just to nitpick, the slow is 50% and it halves their damage and attack speed.

9. NorrYtt

NorrYtt IncGamers Member

I've abandon'd Revives for my current Necro build. Ideally I can get a +1 to it on my Totem. If I find out I do want Revives, it will probably be around the time I get Hell Izual quest, which is about the time Revives become worth the 3 skill points it takes to get them.

10. spartacvs

spartacvs IncGamers Member

Some revives are better. Those who can fly as a example. I also like throwers (quill rats, flame archers and mmmm spear cats). That way thay doon't interfer with your skells.
    Sure it's 3 skills points but with + skills I can get 10 of them wich helps in some situations.