Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Viable Build?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by shade449, Mar 29, 2004.

1. shade449

shade449 IncGamers Member

Viable Build?

Thinking on making an ultra defensive hammerdin. My skills would probably be something like this:

20 to Blessed Hammer
    20 to Vigor
    20 to Blessed Aim
    20 to Defiance
    20 to Prayer
    1 to Meditation
    1 to Holy Shield
    1 in all prerequistes.

The main aura would be meditation and not concentration. With meditation and life replenish from hoto and verdungos you would be gaining tons of life per second. Hammer damage would still be pretty decent, around 3.5k which is still pretty good imo. Do you guys think it would work? Or is it too low of a damage?

2. Paladuck

Paladuck IncGamers Member

If you're making an ultra defensive hammerdin, 20 defiance and holy shield is practically a must. Also, defiance will be your main aura - you willl basically be unhittable. I don't see why you would use meditation as your main aura while having defiance maxed...

In order to get 3.5k hammer damage WITHOUT concentration you need an impossible +25 to all skills...a more reasonable +1 gets you about 2.1k hammer damage. Doesn't really seem viable to me given blessed hammer's nature and method of attack.

3. Any1

Any1 Banned

I completely agree.

This build will be very successful if you team up with another Hammerdin (using Conc).

Since you'll need to wear pretty high DR gear to maximize your defensive potential, you'll have much more investment in Strength than a normal Paladin. The lower resulting Vitality, should not be a huge issue since you'll be much much harder to hit. Just remember, don't run.

4. lextalionis

lextalionis IncGamers Member

Bad damage, even though you'll get hit less and you'll regenerate more. You'll still overall get hit more because you won't be killing things as quickly. I would not suggest this except if you are teaming up with another paladin running a Concentrate Aura.

Otherwise don't forget you can get Redemption and have a good level of mana and life regeneration between fights.

5. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

i have to say that after maxing concentration on my mf'r pally hammer guy, it was a a COMPLETE WASTE OF CPS.

i can kill ANYTHINTH INSTANTLY with never using it at all!!! i have 8 combat gc's, hoto, enigma, HoZak, +2 pally ammy, Shako, 2 sojs. The hammers of do a lot of damage in 2-3 player games without ever turning on concentration.

nothing really resists the hammers, so its like having a few points into cold mastery, but instead of 500 damage per bolt, its thousands, and they pierce....

using meditation and maxing out prayer would do some coooool things.
    AND! i noticed clearly that you dont at all need more than a couple of breakpoints in spell casting speed. you just dont need to spam, plain dont. if you do, you are lazy pos who doesnt like to move around much and reposition yourself. I killed, without con on, a whole herded pack of chaos sanc guys, (i drag them all out at once) with about 4-5 hammers, thats like almost every guy in the sanctuary with non con'd 4-5 hammers.
    i never use con vs diablo or baal, you really cant unless you have a huge mana pool and chug potions, medi is much better, and it kills them nearly at the same speed (when you have no mana, you cant kill...)

your build is excellent ;) at least it does something useful as an aura. yes, parties like con, but parties also like a wigged out prayer/medi! (probably more as everyone uses con)

6. lextalionis

lextalionis IncGamers Member

First notice the equipment SALO is using. If you are using equipment like that, then yes, you'll probably still be able to kill things without too much trouble without Concentration. If you don't have access to +15 skill points for BH, then you probably are still going to want to have a Concentration Aura on in Hell to kill things.

Second. Prayer isn't that big a help. Its +25 life points, at level 20, while it goes up by +2 per skill level that's not going to rock any worlds anytime soon. Now that's not nothing, but you should have a life total above 1000. In comarison that's 2.5% or less of your total life. -- Prayer is not a normal synergy. +Skills will help this synergy, but also it will still do a lot with only one point in it. If you have 10 plus all skills, it will still heal 11 points vs 50 life at level 31. Now in case you can't do simple math 50 is still less than 5% of your total life.

Third. Salo is right about spamming. You shouldn't be spamming, especially with higher damage going from Concentration. Its more important that you hit at the proper times. If you aren't spamming your normal levels of Meditation should be working pretty well.

Fourth remember that higher levels of BH require more mana from you. So with lots of +Skills on your BH, you will eat up more mana than if you only have like a level 30 BH. So Salo, maybe needing mana regeneration more because of his high level of BH.

Last, almost everyone is playing with Concentration for a reason. First, it increase with every skill point a lot more than Cold Mastery does. It starts at +60% and goes up by 15% for each level. Unlike Cold Mastery, Concentration doesn't have a cap or diminishing returns. All those great plus skills on your build will be increasing Concentration and Blessed Hammer. Also recognize that each point in Concentrate is better than points in any of the BH synergies, since they are only 14% each and they don't start at +60% damage.

Will your build work, yes. But so will a Bowmancer. And yes, you'll be faster than a bowmancer. But you'd be much faster using Concentration.

Now, before Salo jumps all over me again. I'll be the first to say that I use Meditation occassionally with my Hammerdin. Meditation does work well at level one (with or without plus skills). I often don't want to burn threw my potions, especially for less tough creatures. But I don't mind blowing threw potions against bosses. Killing speed helps you stay alive too. It also keeps you from having to drink life potions. Don't forget that. I will say this if you do go with your build at least put one point in Concentrate and realize that their will be times when you will want more damage and that Concentrate will help.

Biggest benefit of this build. It doesnt' help at all to have two Concentration using BH pallies in the same game and unless you are going to use Conviction to help other characters using Elemental damage. I would think that Mediation would be the next best aura to be used. But Meditation doesn't get too much better with points in it. So, I agree Prayer would be the skill to put points in.

But I think you're better off with Concentration, most of the time.

7. Hyey

Hyey IncGamers Member

I have most of that equip - the combat gcs... i do about 3.5k hammers~ without concentration... i can tell you that having concentration also mean yours spells wont get disrupted if you get smacked around

Also... I like concentration much much better against baal... i only have to drink 4~ mana pots even if baal casts his clone... and im killing him REALLY fast i personally think that conc>medi all around.