Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Viable Build: Defiance, HS, Zeal, Sac + Might Merc?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Kitriara, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Kitriara

Kitriara IncGamers Member

Viable Build: Defiance, HS, Zeal, Sac + Might Merc?

The title, while ugly, says it all. I've always wanted to make a defense-based paladin who wasnt only a tank or support member but who could also dish it out.

The biggest issue is obviously that without an offensive aura, my damage would eventually just not it. However, could a might merc make up for that by adding to my total zeal + sacrifice damage?

My other thought that was to go Defiance, HS, Vengeance and something else (probably with a might merc again) and just rely on elemental damage.

Yes, I know I could buy a defiance merc but that doesnt syngerize with HS, so humor me =)

Anyone have any suggestions/ideas, or have experience with such a build?

Many thanks in advance!
    Kit

2. Evanta

Evanta IncGamers Member

Zeal + Sacrifice + Defiance:
    You are going to have problems with Iron Maiden though, as your merc will most likely die, and you're left without a damage boost. He will face massive problems vs. masses of ranged elemental damage too.

I don't know about the Vengence + HS + Defiance, I'm guessing it will face worse problems than the Zealot route.

3. Arkonc

Arkonc IncGamers Member

Actually, the standard zealot build (Sarc, Zeal, Fana, HS, Defiance) is a pretty good tank...

I don't have uber items and I don't find fun in doing MF runs for more than 15 minutes, so when I go play with my friends they usually require me to tank, switching to defiance at that point (combines with it's synergy bonus to a maxed HS) makes me almost unhittable by AR attacks, have high resists for the other ones and you should be ok...

you can use Defiance as your main aura if you have a high damage weapon or a party to do the killing, but for solo play, it just doesn't work, I just tried killing izual to see how long it took me and I gave up after 15 minutes, he cannot kill me, but I cannot kill him either...

Wow, this turned out to be a lot longer than expected...

4. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

The problem with a defiant build in the expansion is that blizzard has essentially made it pointless unless you want to purposely cripple your character. They made defiance available on mercs (only level 17 or so but that it still a huge aura) and now they gave a defiance aura on exile (a stupid mistake by blizzard just like enigma) which lets practically any melee pally become a defiant for the most part.

5. zaf301

zaf301 IncGamers Member

I have tried this particular build and found it very interesting and fun. To be more exact i aimed for 20 Holy shield, 20 defiance, 20 zeal, the rest in Sacrifice and 1 point in Vengeance.
    The synergy of Defiance and HS is amazing. With few +Skill from items you can get well over 1000% enchanced defence! Combine that with gear that adds alot to base defence and you can end up to over 20000 defence around lvl 80. Add to the calculations the maximum blocking (75%) and you have a nearly invisible from physicall dmg paladin.
    With good gear and charms selection you can also reach 75% resist to all or at least to the most importand of them (lighting and fire). Its not so hard given the fat juicy palladin shields with prismatic mods and some sockets. You can get over 100% resist to all only from the shield. This can make the character even more rock solid.
    Zeal helps alot to attack rating issue and even adds some damage. Of course your overall dmg will never be spectacular as other palladin builds but you can come by with some tricks. Crushing blow, deadly strike, some nice elemental dmg charms, a might merc, points to sacrifice, to name a few.
    After all the winer of the battle is not the one that kills faster but the one that is stands on his feet at the end. And surely this kind of paladin can stand when all others fall. :uhhuh:

Sorry for my english.

6. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

People seem to forget that a good offense is good for defense as well. This is due to the fact that highly defensive builds spend more time in eg. melee range of monsters and against something such as fanaticism packs they will eventually break through your blocking and defense since you are standing there a long time.

7. yiuman

yiuman IncGamers Member

However, if you are partying with other palladins with fanat/concentration auras that should help your damage too and give them lots of defence - everyone wins from you having an unusual build.

8. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

I would want to complement it with auras from items, like beast or doom to up damage or help control ranged opponents