Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Viability of PvP Throwbarb?

Discussion in 'PvP' started by Shadowshifter, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Shadowshifter

Shadowshifter IncGamers Member

Viability of PvP Throwbarb?

Hey guys, I haven't played D2 for a year or so and am unfamiliar with the current PvP scene. I dislike cookie-cutter builds, so I was wondering how effective a throwbarb could be ... one that uses leap knockback, maybe warcry to stun, and double throw.
    Also, if viable, what kind of equipment does this build need? From the threads I've searched, it appears to need high FRW, 48 FHR, high IAS, and full resists, but I don't know what kind of equipment would maximize these . . .
    Would it be something like Arreats, rare dual stat 20 IAS gloves, ED/IAS armor, dual eth lacerators and raven frost? What should I use for the ammy, belt, boots, and the other ring slots? Thanks a lot for your help in advance!

2. lCE

lCE IncGamers Member

Imo it can work, but to run with the big boys u will need some rare eth replenishing javs (axes suck for pvp, range is too low), be warned though, those are not only extremely difficult to find but u must wait for them to replenish after they get low on quantity and that is annoying to the extreme.

3. martinkingss

martinkingss IncGamers Member

i've got one of these dudes, a while ago though...i've got some help for you, from my experience

Amulet: cats eye, because frw, ias
    rings, dual ravenfrost, becasue + ar and some cold damage..well, cold damage is always + dmg =D
    helm, CoA, sock 2*40/15, because it just so frekkin nice! ias, skill, res, dmg, dmg reduce, what more u want?
    Gloves, ur right out there, but u want the knockback crafting gloves with 20 ias on...
    boots, marrowwalk, u need +dex and +str, and got some neat other things too :)
    armor, up to your choice, but imo, enigma=pwn all, just tele up behind teh cookiecutter, throw, throw, throw, dead
    weapons, as u say, dual lacerators eth, no other option
    belt, i suggest nosferatus..sure bm by slow target, but u need the ias too reach a ias bp if im right.

Charms, well, imo, fhr is needed, since this is a either u die or u survive for ever char..and make it survive ;)
    But, fhr, dmg, res, life from charms...

This is mostly a caster killer, but with some effort, u'll be able to smack every b*tch on this planet :)

4. deadreligion

deadreligion IncGamers Member

I tried it once. I found that most experienced players could easily dodge the axes unless I was at melee range, in which case frenzy or ww would be more effective anyway.

5. Duelskull2

Duelskull2 IncGamers Member

Throw barbs arent all that viable anymore imo. They lost A LOT of their dmg in the patch. Spears are easy to dodge due to everyone teleing, and melee will just tank and kill you. It wont kill much.

6. Generator Of Chaos

Generator Of Chaos IncGamers Member

oh and tele + ww barbs will just tele over your throwables and proceed to re-arrange your face and dance over your dead body...

Most ranged characters will have more range and more manouverability, meaning, you won't catch them, but you will catch their stuff....with your teeth most of the time...

really the biggest advantage you can have is over melee chars with low-moderate life, or melee druids with low hit recovery... :\

7. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Enigma killed throwbarbs in 1.10

8. Shadowshifter

Shadowshifter IncGamers Member

Thanks for the replies, but are you guys talking about a throwbarb using leap or not? From what I can tell, not many have tried or have seen it, and it seems to me that you're just commenting on a general throwbarb instead of one that uses leap's knockback radius as one of its core strategies ...

9. Bigrob

Bigrob Banned

thrower isnt very good in 1.10. Even zon can rip them apart... :eek:

10. Speederländer

Speederländer IncGamers Member

Throw barbs = nt in 1.10.

11. lCE

lCE IncGamers Member

Yep, in 1.09 throwbarbs did a lot of damage due to crit bugs and throwing receiving only a 1/2 pvp penalty. (So in reality u were doing your char listed dmg in pvp), now they got hit by a bug stick in the respect that their damage is lower than it should be :(.

12. Duelskull2

Duelskull2 IncGamers Member

Leap wont make much of a difference. The point is they do small dmg and would die pretty fast.

13. noooooooooooober

noooooooooooober IncGamers Member

what's the 1.10 damage formula? it's at <http://users.tkk.fi/~tgustafs/weapondamage.html#Damage%20Calculations> right? Cause unless i miscalculated, a throwbarb using dual eth lacerators can do at least 40K/sec ... is that small damage (not trying to be sarcastic)?
    Also, what life total is satisfactory for pvp? 5K?

14. dkay

dkay IncGamers Member

my only regret in d2 before i quit is that i never made a throw barb. though i dont think they can compete. it seems like a very fun build.

heres the biggest problem i think:

the display bug. you dont do hardly as much damage as it lists which is sad. i think ive heard of people doing like 7k-8k listed damage but in actuality it does like 1k. ;/

since you'll do duel wielding. i bet you can use the same stats that a bvc barb uses (in other words aim for 8k life... this is way above average life of course). if not then go for max block and have 6k life(this is above average life as well).

15. Speederländer

Speederländer IncGamers Member

Throw damage is bugged. What you see is NOT what you get.

16. Dad Daniel

Dad Daniel IncGamers Member

The throw barb smashes, annihilates, destroys, lacerates and whatever you can imagine all kind of enemies ( monsters, bosses, stupid Zerk BOTD PvP-ers "right- shifting" zerk on me :lol:, wind druids and etc..). NOTE:A hard (immposible) match are the High def barb and palas; bone necros suck - with the razortail "pierce" option my axes stroke him directly through his boneshield and the chiken drop him immediately.
    I had once near-godly Dthrow-frenzy barb and he was THE POWER itself.. My favoutite character i have ever made in LOD during all these years - i create him with such love and playing with it was the most enjoyable period in my Diablo - LOD game experience! :D
    Loosing him by a TPPK hacker throws me in a sadness and despair, but if it happen ever ladder to reset, my first character will be Dthrower!!!

P.S. The new runewords will make out of him an ultimate devastator!!Don't forget the 3.5 fps attack possibility with frenzy!

17. noooooooooooober

noooooooooooober IncGamers Member

icic ... also, how much AR is needed? What's a good amount to have for general dueling?
    And how important is defense?

18. zirilion

zirilion IncGamers Member

about he AR you need alot

my friend made a throwy warb cant remember the gear but he said he was desperate for AR

so all he was doing is generally collectind all the AR charms he could get

and from doing pvp in public with him it looked as if he has no trouble whatsoever killing eni hammerdins (cant remember about druids) amas were easy the come up to him he ww and they die, amas that didnt want to come up to him died anyway

and youll need to be able to run as fast as you can

19. lCE

lCE IncGamers Member

Heh, in 1.09 i used 1.08 Arreats Face, and i could get away with 6k AR. If u can get your hands on one of those, i believe its the ultimate thrower helm out there. (not sure if it still works as it did before- for those that dont know, it reduced your total defense to 15% of its original value, so say if u had 10000 def, it got reduced to 1500, so pretty much eth like effect.( not 95% to hit but almost). And ill say it again, u NEED javelins in pvp, those travel over 2 screens as opposed to axes traveling only 3/4 of the screen. Also prediction of your opponents next move is the thrower's game, u dont throw javs at where your opponent is, but at where he will be in the next moment, those that played hybrids in 1.09 will know what i mean.

20. skilledlord

skilledlord IncGamers Member

it might be good vs. classes with no shield. Really depends on how good ur weapon is. Uniques suck, go for a rare. You'll need element of surprise too but then ppl would complain aobut bm.