Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Viability of Poison/Cold Hybrid

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by mr hamster, Nov 17, 2006.

1. mr hamster

mr hamster IncGamers Member

Viability of Poison/Cold Hybrid

I was looking through the build guides for the Zon and couldn't find a build that utilizes both plague and frozen arrow. Has anyone tried this build? I played around with some numbers and using decent gear can achieve 60+ K poison over ~18 seconds and ~2k frozen arrow. Is this good enough for hell?

2. HaLoPhReAk

HaLoPhReAk IncGamers Member

Hrmm...strickly pvm i presume? IMO it sounds pretty decent. just lots of switching. I think you mean to spam some FA accross (i think it'll word better than cold scs on multi), then throw some eth titans (w/ poison skill) at them. My only suggestions are: Get a good valk, you'll need it. and Get faith, the ias is just going to be necessary to shoot alot (unless 6 shael'd bow...faith still faster?). Just don't expect to be going through the game as fast as a hammerdin, or anything close to that speed, but possibly much more fun.

3. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Absolutely viable. Poison builds need to find something else to do with their time after they toss a Plague, anyway, since it has a 4-second timer and a well-boosted Plague will last 15 seconds or more. Typically I either switch to Jab, Charged Strike, or Lightning Strike, but there's no reason why Frozen Arrow couldn't work just as well. Best of all, you'd have more than enough skill points to fully synergize both paths.

I'd disagree about focusing a lot on IAS. The nice thing about Frozen Arrow is that it slows the game way down. When enemies aren't moving, you can take as long as you want to finish them off. I don't mind nice, slow attacks as long as I'm not going to be strafing any (if I'm going to use strafe, I *always* get to the two-frame followup, or else it's just not worthwhile). +Skills will be your meal ticket for both sides of the hybrid- lots and lots of +skills.

Sounds like a pretty fun build, to be honest.:thumbsup:

4. mr hamster

mr hamster IncGamers Member

Yea PvM only
    Thanks...i'm off to make one
    But what kind of merc should i go? I was thinking Ice bow for Holy Freeze instead of Faith and getting either Defense or Might (help valk)...or is valk mostly for tanking?

Ok here's my gear setup...gimme suggestions, plz!
    Helm: Shako? (Nightwings would be optimal tho, right?)
    Armor: CoH/Nigma?
    Belt: Verdungoes? Arach?
    Rings: Raven + What else?
    Amulet: Guessing more skills the better?
    Gloves: Trangs?
    Boots: yea...no clue at all o_O
    Weapons would be...Ice and Titans/Spirit on switch?

5. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Valk makes a fantastic killer if you invest heavily in her... but with 82 points alreadly allocated to maxing out your two killing skills, as well as the 7+ points you're going to have to spend on the right side of the passives tree (to boost your Pierce for FA) and the 7 points you have to spend on the left side (D/A/E/Decoy/IS/SM/Valk), you won't have the points to invest heavily in Valk. Use her as a meat shield and don't worry about boosting her damage that much, because there's no way you'll have the points available to turn her into a serious killer.

As far as Merc goes... that's up to you. Blessed Aim will help your AR, but Blessed Aim is bugged and won't stack with Penetrate (you'll get one or the other, but not both), and AR is only necessary for leeching with FA. You can go Holy Freeze, but I think multiple sources of Holy Freeze might cause desynch. I'd recommend Might, Prayer, or Defiance. The reason why is because you'll pretty much NEED an Insight to keep up with your mana as you spam Frozen Arrows. Give it to a Might Merc (so he can deal more damage and leech more), or a Defiance Merc (so he'll have good defense and survive well), or a Prayer Merc (so you get the double-healing bonus to top you off between battles).

As far as your gear goes, +skills is far and away the most important mod you'll want to look for- especially +All skills or +Zon skills, so they'll boost BOTH of your main attacks.