Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Very tough questions on burning souls/e-shield

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by TEB-Bird, Feb 27, 2004.

1. TEB-Bird

TEB-Bird IncGamers Member

Very tough questions on burning souls/e-shield

I am curious about a few technical things related to energy shield and burning souls/glooms

1.) Glooms do about 40% light dmg 40% phys dmg 20% magic dmg?( someone help me on these ratios/%'s plz)
    2.) Energy shield absorbs the light dmg before resists are taken into account?
    3.) Energy shield absorbs the phys dmg before -% pdr is taken into account?
    4.) Energy shield absorbs the full light dmg before % light absorb is taken into account?
    5.) % dmg taken goes to mana from items like nightsmoke/tal's belt.. Is this taken into account from elemental and magic dmg or just or just phys dmg?
    6.) Any additional info in relational pattern with the previous questions. Perhaps someone has asked some other questions along these same lines with other useful answers. Thanks

2. ventilator

ventilator IncGamers Member

1) I am pretty sure no one really knows. As far as I know, gloams deal only lightning damage and "their attack is bugged and deals phys as well" myth is in fact a myth.

2) Yes

3) Yes

4) Yes

5) Every source of damage

6) Eshield -> Resists -> Absorb % -> straight absorb -> MDR for elemental
    Block -> (D/E/A if Zon) -> Eshield -> PDR % -> Straight PDR for physical
    afaik

3. TEB-Bird

7. Where do you get your info? Wouldn't mind talking to a player who understands game code, or a person who knows a web site with info

I'd be interested in doing further research. Just not sure where to find anything. I looked around some didn't find much.

4. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

Seems from things I've been reading in the Sorc forum is that the conventional wisdom now says to not even use e-shield in 1.10, that it's just a big mana drain. Of course I read this after I had already put 4 points plus the pre-requisits into it for the Sorc I'm working on currently. I could have saved about 7 or 8 points total if I'd forgone e-shield completely.

5. ZappaFan

Did you check the sorc forum here? There has been quite a bit of discussion about e-shield there, shouldn't be hard to find.

6. Shadoway

Shadoway IncGamers Member

Geee..., that could be a Ph.D. thesis topic.

7. TEB-Bird

sorc forum

I suppose that never hurts.

Although I don't especially want to talk to 50 players who talked to 50 other players who gained their ideas and views in a circular social fashion. I'd just assume talk to a direct source. Someone who knows code has checked it out or has some ability to do so. Or a web site or such that has done the same.

Maybe someone on sorc forum would be along these lines...I'll attempt to check that out..

8. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

I do not fully understand here what you are saying Zappafan. It drains your mana instead of your life, how can you say not use energyshield? How can you avoid being obbliterated without Eshield? Can you explain please?

9. Spero

Spero IncGamers Member

1) I agree with the myth part. I have a character with really high resists and very little damage is done by gloams.

6) I think block is out of order. For a physical attack, block is first. If you block, you take no damage and your mana won't go down. Elemental/magical attacks can't be blocked, so you will lose mana. I don't know for a fact, but the eshield -> resists seems correct to me.

edit: oh stupid me, I misread your post. I see you have two separate lines, one for elemental and one for physical. Both look right on. :idea:

10. Bearcub

Bearcub IncGamers Member

I will give a personnel exp to this statement. My first sorce, walking along got into trouble bam no mana bam deeds. I tried to tele away one of the sorces best out of danger cards, easier than exiting, but no mana. By the time i realized i needed to exit it was to late. W/o e-shield in this case i would of lived. I would of lost life but i could of escaped. E-shield can help you survive one hit kill types, but how many of these do sorces face. The key to sorces is to kill befor the enemy gets to you.

11. ZappaFan

This thread in the Sorc forum explains it a lot better than I can:

http://forums.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=140182

12. sohcan

sohcan IncGamers Member

I had a sorc with eshield and ran into a pack of knights in nm worldstone. Same thing happened to me as did to bearcub and I got the nice pretty deeds screen. I have built my sorcs since without it and prefer just going with max block. Eshield isn't always a bad thing, but its something my play-style does fine without. Currently the sorcs I have built without eshield are still alive and the close calls they have had were mitigated with block and juves. Both also would be dead already if I had eshield. If you don't go with blocking eshield would be something I would recommend simply because the dex points could be thrown into vitality and energy. Eshield boils down to "your mileage will vary".

13. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

I understand the notion of not using EShield at all, but I don't think it applies as well to Hardcore as it does to Softcore. 1k life on a Sorc is usually good enough, 1.2k is pretty comfortable, 1.4k is pretty godly, yet 1.4k on any other char (other than maybe a Summoner) is about the minimum I'd feel comfortable with running hell difficulty. That fact alone forces me to use EShield.

14. treldonis

treldonis IncGamers Member

Haven't hit the hell version of the gloams yet but in Nightmare when I had just 75 resist to lightning with my necro, a full blast from a black soul will take off bout 80 hps. With TGODS(85 and absorb) it's 0. If there was any physical component to the attack, I would see some damage. Just putting my two cents in.

Not looking forward to the hell derivative of these things.

15. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

I take very little from the "character forums" to heart as the bulk are SC players who talk builds with "allowable deaths".

ES is irreplaceable with any skill. Defense doesnt not stop elements and resists dont work as well as they use to so the absorb is really the only help.

Feel free to go to a no ES Sorc, maybe go Shiver if you wish or max out more killing skills, but I am very please wiht lvl 1 ES and 17 Telek (hard) i have on my sorc and she has met unique Gloams and taken shots with only needing a pot to get the hell out of there.

I personally feel where most of those sorcs are getting killed by them so easily is piss poor resists and/or pis poor hit revovery, or the serious lack of fast cast. So many people stress MFMFMFMFMF then SKIIIIIIIIILLLLS they forget about the real things that are important.

FCR virtually eliminates issues with Gloams in most situations, and full resists, FHR, and ES take care of the rest with a pot or two.

16. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

Just like every other char does. :thumbsup:
    Gloams only do lightning, their attacks don't damage me until they get through my cyclone, which only absorbs light cold fire.

17. Flyte

Flyte IncGamers Member

I'm just wondering, if a Sorc were to go for about 50% ES (like a melee Enchantress that can easily regen or leech back the mana lost) with maxed TK (75% of the damage absorbed to mana), what Vit/Energy placement would be the best for that Sorc?

100/0?
    50/50?
    62.5/37.5?

Or even:

0/100?

18. Corndog

Corndog IncGamers Member

Whoa!

Let me understand this correctly.

If I can turn 1 point of damage into .75 points of mana on a charachter that A. gets more mana per point of energy than she does life per point of vitality. and B. Regens mana but not Life. I would think the conventional wisdom is being applied to SC duelers not HC PvM Sorcs. I would be very careful what you are trusting there Zappa. The math they apply is with 95% absorb on a PvP Fireball sorc. I would first rerun your numbers with only 50% absorb against like Hell Listers attack. That might give you a fair representation of what might truly happen. I guess it depends on whether your better at watching just your life bulb versus watching both bulbs.

Here is my recommendation.
    1 point in Eshield (let skill + items drive this up to right around 50% absorb).
    Max Telekensis.

Keep your life and mana less than 100 points apart, with life being the higher of the 2. My current sorc at level 89 has 1002/925 Life to mana ratio. Not enough mana could lead to complications as described above.