Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Very Quick Question

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by riddyl, Oct 15, 2006.

1. riddyl

riddyl IncGamers Member

Very Quick Question

Hi, looking for a nice clean cut answer to this one :grin:

Basically, I have a 15%/+3lightning ormus, with a spare socket. Now, do I socket in an um for 15res, or do I put in a light rainbow facet (probably would be a -4/5) and then replace a light skiller with a [email protected] GC with life? Which would yield the greatest damage and benefits do people think?

thanks for any help

*riddyl2

2. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

Well it kinda sorta almost depends on the rest of your setup.

If you have 'Infinity', the negative resist from the Facet probably wouldn't do all that much for you, and the enhanced lightning damage from the Facet would pale in comparison to your Lightning Mastery, so I'd say stick with the skiller and plop an Um rune in the socket.

If you don't have 'Infinity', the negative resist from the Facet might make up for the lost damage from the skiller, but I highly doubt it.

3. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

Why swap out a skiller for another GC - can you get the res from SC's? It seems to me you can probably do both.

If the only facet you can get is -4%, then I'd pass and go for the um. The only thing that matters on a light facet is the -enemy resist part. A +3/-5 is much, much better than a +5/-4.

Is this PvP or PvM? Es or not?

4. riddyl

riddyl IncGamers Member

sorry yes this is pvm, No es. I do have infinity and I use eschutas and griffon with facets

I am filled up with res all small charms at the moment, and am using a 15res all GC currently aswell. My resists obviously aren't very good as I have no CoH.

5. MageChick

When you have Infinity and Griffons your -enemy resistance is already at -85% + -15-25% = -100-110%. If you have facets in your griffons and Eschuta then that's adding some more -enemy resistance. So you have all the monsters with 20% resistance to lightning already at -100%. Adding another facet will only help with the monsters that have more than 20% lightning resistance.

I'd guess most monsters in hell have some native lightning resistance - but its still a mixed bag. To get a concrete answer you can plug your numbers into a skill calcuator. You will still need to calculate the non-skill lightning damage and -enemy light resistance seperatly. Then you can see if +1 skill is > some more enemy lightning resistance.

My basic thought is that -enemy resistance is the best mod you get though(up to the cap at -100%).

6. riddyl

riddyl IncGamers Member

ok sounds like a skill calculator is the best bet then. Is there one on this forum or can you provide me with a link to one? (if you can't talk about it here then a pm would be cool)

I do find I have a problem with light immune monsters as things like souls can take longer to kill than I would like, and ofc light enchated uniques are just a pain in the neck

7. MageChick

Just do a google search for "diablo ii skill calculator". From there I'd recommend chippydips or indiablo. Either will work.

They don't make it real easy though. You'll still have to do the math yourself. But you'll need them to get you the base damage for your level 40 (or whatever level it is) lightning, chainlightning, etc. Don't put all your synergies into the skill calculator, just put 20 points into the skill you want to check out, and list your total number of + lightning, nothing else.

One you have the base spell damage you'll have to count up your synergies for that spell (i.e. 20 from chain lighting, 20 from charged bolt, 20 from nova assuming you have it maxed = 60 synergy points). Then multiply by the synergy mod % (8% for lightning so 60 * 8% = 480%).

Next you need to get your mastery mod%. This is the total amount of lightning mastery (just look it up on your skill tab) and all your + lightning skill damge (eschuta, ormus, and facets). You need to do this seperatly because the skill calculators won's allow you to add in % from gear.

At this point you just multiply them all together. Total damage = base damage * (1+synergy mod) * (1+mastery mod).

Then you need to apply the -enemy resistance. If you have -100 enenmy resists you can multiply by 2; -50% would be like multiplying by 1.5, etc.

If you get really lost look for the thead I did about carrying infinity or not - I believe I stepped though the calculations there.

8. riddyl

riddyl IncGamers Member

ok well I ran the calculations and came to the conclusion that the extra skiller gives approx 1k more damage than the rbf.

However, I have been rejigging my equipment slightly and think I might be able to have resists like 55/61/61/61 with the rbf in aswell as a full skiller complement - hopefully she won't be too fragile. I am going to test that build and if it doesn't work I'll go for the ummed Ormus.

thanks to magechick all for the help

*riddyl2