Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Very odd find.

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Barl, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Barl

Barl IncGamers Member

2. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

Re: Very odd find.

You have too much time on your hands, but I do share your curiosity. :)
    I recall meeting a hammerdin in 1.09 in classic, but I didn't play with him. He just claimed to be a hammerdin.

3. Barl

Barl IncGamers Member

It makes me wonder if you could actually pull it off-- a pre-LOD hammerdin. No syngergies, and I don't think the concentration bonus showed up on the character screen. I'm going to do some single player muddling and see what I come up with.

And yes. Far too much time. ;P

EDIT: From the 1.05 balance changes: "The Paladin's Concentration skill now enhances the damage of Blessed Hammer just as it did in 1.03. The damage displayed on the Character screen is correct, too. "

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  4. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

I'm guessing he was converting some monsters to spread the punishment the monsters where dealing.

5. Lestumpette

Lestumpette IncGamers Member

Of course there were pre-LOD hammerdins. In fact they were commonly ladder runners back then. Remember, no-one had synergies, so damage was lower all round, and monsters were a bit weaker so it was good fun. It was all players knew, so that was that really.

6. norvi11erogers

norvi11erogers IncGamers Member

I recall a friend of mine had a level 80 hdin in something like 1.05 or 1.06. I don't remember earlier than that on bnet, but I'm pretty sure they were quite effective from the beginning. Synergies just make them finish later.

7. Barl

Barl IncGamers Member

Well, in 1.03 single player, hammerdins actually seem to be pretty effective. Granted, I had to get to 40 base energy just to survive-- remember mana pots aren't available at vendors in 1.03. I can't remember when they changed that.

Effective was putting it lightly: I can clear hell CS rather easily. Man, has this build always been overpowered, or what? :/

8. iewcce

iewcce IncGamers Member

synergies for hammer wud be enough:) disable the aura!! xP

maybe fana cud give faster castrate but thats it hehe

9. Barl

Barl IncGamers Member

There aren't any synergies in 1.00 through 1.09. So most certainly there aren't any 1.03,which is pre-LOD. ;P And fanaticism only adds AR and IAS, not ED, in pre-LOD versions.

Despite the concentration bonus not showing up, it is most certainly there, and the build is still effective.

10. Akse

Akse Banned

Pre lod hammerdins were able to use holy freeze. Get 200 mobs with vigor, switch holy freeze, bam all freezed, switch concentration start doing hammers, mobs staying freezed for like 5-10 seconds even with different aura. Was pretty amazing. This style was good for clearing CS. (i don't remember if holy freeze still worked like that in 1.09 could be)

Hammer damage with 20 BH 20 conc was about 1000. I think the conc bonus shows up at least in 1.06 which is the latest version before lod.

People were seeking for rare +2 20 cast mana resist scepters with hopefully some nice +skills. Some went with fast cast others with +skills. Fast cast included wall of the eyeless, magefists and some fc jewlery. If you had your resists ok you could go with tarn helm for +skill and MF. :)

Btw I remeber seeing some conversion paladins pre-lod. They worked pretty ok I suppose. Saw a few in hell a4 soloing stuff.. converting mobs and having thorns aura. They were also deadly for barbs when the conversion ended the mob still had the aura for a while.

FoH palas I never saw.. I heard FoH was pretty amazing without cast-delay and with fast cast rate :) Damage lacked tho and it had huge mana cost ~70 IIRC:)

11. Lorg

Lorg IncGamers Member

Hmm had a hammerdin Pala in 1.09 and leveled it to 84 or so in hc. Not as effcient as nowadays, but was good enough. Still not much fun and i eventually used it only as mule. I think aura flashing was nerfed a little for 1.09 but worked to some extent not sure anymore. Its been quite some time. Anyway cold aura was big part of the build as u mentioned.