Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Venomancer troubles

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Grobyc, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Grobyc

Grobyc IncGamers Member

Venomancer troubles

I have Poison Nova and Poison Explosion maxed, I'm half way through to maxing Poison Dagger, 1 on Lower Resist. I have plus skills so Lower Resist takes away 49%. I'm fighting in the Throne (8 player games), I Lower Resist and I fire off several Novas and it hardly lays a scratch on the guys. I'm wearing the Trang gloves and still looking for the shield, but the damage from Nova still isn't enough. Did anyone else have this kind of trouble?

Also, instead of the skeleton, I'm planning to use Revives as my tank. Skeletons aren't bad, but I think they require a little too much investment, plus they aren't as durable as Revives (as far as hp goes). Is this a good or bad idea?

2. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

I'm not sure how much life/poison resist Baal's minions have, but maybe you should just lower the player setting to 5 or even less. Lister has 95% poison resist so even with your 49% he still has 46% poison resist, which cuts your damage in half:( Then when you find the shield and add some more synergies you can raise it again. There aren't many characters that can simply obliterate Baals minions on p8, at least not until they have their end-game gear.

I think it's a good idea to choose revives instead of skellies. Then you can focus completely on poison and still have some durable minions. Just beware that revives are a sometimes a bit erratic, and you can sometimes lose some of them if you get too far ahead of them.

3. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

His pack also has 95% Poison Resist. Ventor and his boys have 120% Poison Resist in Hell and 100% Poison resist in NM. Tough cookies.

4. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

Gotta get a good CB merc man...

5. MrGoth

MrGoth IncGamers Member

~

Assuming you have a nice load of + poison & bone skills, and your lower res curse up, dont forget about corpse explode. Even in 8 player games it might lay a bigger dent than your nova.

But if you want to see your novamancer shine, instead of going threw baal runs, try chaos sanct runs. Nothing in there has very good poison res, and even in 8 player games I assure you that it will be very fast.

6. Grobyc

Grobyc IncGamers Member

Lately, I've just been sitting back with Revives and Lower Resist since I could hardly make a dent in the enemies, I just make tanks and make it easier for Javazons and sorcs to kill.

Aren't the Venom Lords in Sanctuary immune to poison?

7. MrGoth

MrGoth IncGamers Member

~

Fire iirc.

8. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Poison Immune on NM with high Fire Resist and Fire Immune on Hell with high Poison Resist.

9. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

Poison damage really doesn't shine until you have Death's Web and the triple trang's set up and even then you won't be taking many of the kills in 8-player baal runs without taking advantage of other necro skills. I'm about where your at with my poison skills but with DWeb and triple trangs I can run pits and not even bother to cast lower resist on a lot of the monsters but still have them die from only one Nova.

Revives over skeletons is not a particularly good idea unless you can kill easily with poison alone and even then the time limit is obnoxious since you can't really choose your revives. I think you've been misinformed about skeletons though. There is no cheaper, more effective build in the game that is complete by level 45. All this prebuff with Leoric, switch to Beast and put Pride on a might merc talk is a way to make them insanely nasty not merely viable which they are already much more than. They can totally handle Hell even with ghetto gear although you do have to be a bit more careful and physical immunes will take time. I have a might merc, prebuff with Leoric (not that expensive) and a +2 summon resist head, have only 15/16 points invested in my skellies, and they very rarely die on 8-Player Baal Runs in Hell.

What I've been doing is letting my skeletons engage a large group of enemies, hitting them with Lower Resist and then a nova, then amp, then corpse explode. It's been VERY effective. In the event of poison immunes, my skeletons + corpse explode do just fine by themselves.

10. sad

sad IncGamers Member

My poisonmancer used a combination of revives in the thone room area. In nightmare, I basically carried everyone to the throne room myself with a combination of skellies, posion nova, fire walls, and revived burning souls/ frenzytaurs/serpent magi thingies. With that much tankage, and lower resist helping out your fire, posion and lightning damage I had little trouble. In Hell difficutly, I don't carry anyone anymore, but that strategy still gets my share of the damage done just fine. And of course, Don't forget Corpse explosion. It works fine even in 8 player games.