Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Venomancer questions

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Tengu, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Tengu

Tengu IncGamers Member

Venomancer questions

I have been thinking of making a poison necro soon, right after i complete my skelemancer. His skills i haven't decided yet, but they will be something like

20 all poison skills, 1 bone armor & wall + prereqs,
    1 all curses and 1 all summons ( not fire golem, though )
    I was thinking of equipping him with the following stuff:

"bramble" (not sure about the armor im gonna make it in)
    deaths web
    Trang's Claws, Wing and Girth (partial will give me -25% enemy psn resist, gloves +25% psn skill dmg)

I haven't decided the rest of my equipment yet, but i think it will be resists, life and skills etc.

I think this is a pretty basic skills & equipment set up for a venomancer, right?

Now, my problem is, how do i calculate the - to enemy psn resistance to my damage? Someone told me that when you have -25% to enemy resist, it's treated like having +50% to poison skill damage. Is this correct?

2. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

That equipment should work very well for a poison necro.

No, -25% to enemy resists is not the same as +50% damage it is much more complex than that.

A simple way to calculate the amount of damage poison does with poison resists is to do a 3 stage calculation. First, calculate the damage without considering the resists and then calculate how the Monster's resists, your Lower Resist and your -%poison resists add up and then multiply by the result to see how they affect the situation. Remember you can't lower the resists below -100%.

Here is a simple example using made up but realistic numbers.

In fact, for Poison Nova the game shows you the Poison damage including the bonus effects of Bramble and Trang Gloves already so just use that. Let's assume it does 2000 per Nova.

Many monsters in Hell have a poison resist so lets assume it is 33%. If your Lower Resist is level 10 it will give -55% Resist all. Your Equipment will give -45% (average Deaths Web) and -25% Trang Oul Wing = -70%.

So with Lower Resist the Monster resist will be 33 - 55 - 70 = -92% and hence Damage will be 192% of the displayed damage.

2000 * 1.92 = 3840 per Nova

Without Lower Resist the calculation becomes 33 - 70 = -37%

2000 * 1.37 = 2740 per Nova

For weaker monsters I often don't even bother to change spells and use Lower Resist but just spam another Nova or two. If the monsters begins to take 3 or 4 Novas then I use LR, otherwise why bother? If you were not using Death web and Trang Oul Wing then using LR would be pretty much essental in Hell.

3. Tengu

Tengu IncGamers Member

Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

Follow up question: If a monster is poison immune, with a psn resist of 100%, can i lower its psn resist to 8 ( with -92% to enemy resist) ?

And if a monster has more than 100% psn resist, can i lower its resist with lower resist or - to enemy poison resist?

And can any monster have more than 100% psn resist?

4. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

No, using -%poison resists do not help against a poison immune, at least until you break its immunity.

So if the monster is poison immune you will have to use the Lower Resist curse first. That will break the immunity but is only 1/5 as effective when it does that. Using the same numbers as above we can calculate the effective damage per Nova.

The LR curse breaks the immunity 100 - (55 / 5) = 89%
    Your gear lowers the resistance further 89% - 70% = 19% so 81% of damage will be dealt.
    2000 * 81% = 1620 per Nova.

For monsters with a poison resist of 110% your LR would still work but above about 115% LR can't work on its own. A Paladin with a Conviction aura could help but I'm not sure exactly how much but say 125% would be a practical limit. Some monsters can have higher resistances than this so you really should have a method of dealing with unbreakable immunes ... many people use their merc or have skeletons and revives to deal with this situation or even use a weapon themselves, if feeling brave :lol:

5. belth

belth IncGamers Member

Conviction doesn't lower Poison resistance last I checked when "under the influence".

6. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

Hahaha :lol: You are so right belth. Conviction has no effect on Poison at all. Thanks for correcting me. I was obviously thinking of Lower Resist and Conviction combining to break elemental immunities... :bonk: