Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Venom Calculations

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by LordOfTheUndead, Mar 8, 2004.

1. LordOfTheUndead

LordOfTheUndead IncGamers Member

Venom Calculations

I'm making a Martial Arts Assassin, and she's coming along pretty good, majoring in PS and Dragon Flight, along with certain Shadow (Burst and Claw Mastery). My question is, I have put like 4 points into venom, because its potential seems huge, but i use a claw with 3 P emeralds, and when i cast venom, it says damage actually decreases (from ~500 to ~300.) Does the skill just suck or are the poisons getting screwed up? (I eventually plan on using full nats and 1 bartucs.) Should i invest in this skill?

2. det

det IncGamers Member

Maybe it is because Venoms damage is delivered over 0,4 seconds (10 frames) and the damage of the perfect emeralds is delivered over a longer period. The damage of the emeralds, which would have been 500 over (lets say for the skae of argument) 7 seconds is calculated in scale to damage delivered over 0,4 secs like venom (and the venom damage is added on top).

So: Say before you were doing 500 damage over 7 seconds

Now you are doing 300 damage over 0,4 seconds

Actually a HUGE damage increase

(this is why poison charms are not really THAT helpful on a venom assassin..unless you have loads)

3. DeathsHand

DeathsHand IncGamers Member

actually if you use other poison sources you increase poison dmg lenght.

on my venom WW assy i tried 2* 100 pdsc and the duration went from 0.4 seconds to about 3-4 seconds, a huge DECREASE in dmg.

4. det

det IncGamers Member

Interesting, I was sure I read it in the way I discribed here on the forum :scratch:

5. Naliworld

Naliworld IncGamers Member

Are you sure Venom was activated when the duration increased??

6. LordOfTheUndead

lol so what is the concensus? i dont want to waste points

7. D1ce

D1ce IncGamers Member

if ur pvp max it, if ur not, preobably not i think

8. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho IncGamers Member

In PvM Venom is also a real good skill (of course if you're playing a trapsin ... :rolleyes: ).

I've got source of psn on a charm (+12 Psn dmg charm over x seconds), and it SEEMS that Venom is still effective over 10 frames : i've just put enough IAS and BoS so that my sin would reach not top speed, but 11 fpa with DC, and I can see a 'blink' in the green color of the monsters, whereas with DC at top speed, i cannont see it. Still I believe it needs confirmation.

9. LordOfTheUndead

hmm so basically it sounds like blind trust? eventually i do plan on using a batrucs and a nats claw, so i wont have p emerald sockets, so venom could come in handy once i dump my charms. but poison is pretty inneffective in nm/hell. hmmmm so no one knows for sure... cause it does seem like i do less damage and the poison doesnt last as long when i activate venom. almost as if it overrides all otherpsn dmg.

10. DeathsHand

sorry for the late rply ive been busy.

my ssin has maxed venom and does about 550 poison dmg, but then i tried putting on 4* +100 poison charms over 6 seconds, the dmg raised from 550 - roughly 700 and the duration definatly increased to at least 2-3 seconds.

my advise would be not to use other poison sources if u use venom, also for all the people who use poison facets you might wanna check your venom duration because using those facets might have just lowered your dmg significantly

11. D1ce

D1ce IncGamers Member

In PvP atleast, Psn facets make Venom much, much, deadlier. I have around 1k venom dmg, and when I clear monsters for a duel, it takes multiple hits repeatedly to kill monsters. Pretty quick though with Talon. This is in Hell btw. Haven't tested it without venom so we'll see.

12. D1ce

D1ce IncGamers Member

In PvP atleast, Psn facets make Venom much, much, deadlier. I have around 1k venom dmg, and when I clear monsters for a duel, it takes multiple hits repeatedly to kill monsters. Pretty quick though with Talon. This is in Hell btw. Haven't tested it without venom so we'll see.

13. DeathsHand

yes 1k poison dmg but have you checked how long the duration is? the duration from the facetrs themselves are 2 seconds so check the duration, if its anymore then 0.4seconds then facets are worthless.